The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 11-07-2002, 01:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I don't think "Come" is "pure doo-doo", Chili. I know we all have our picks and pans, but I am really looking forward to a finished sound on that one.

I also hope they have grown musically as well. Lindsey is so talented, but he is prone to going too far off in the realm of thinking he is Elvis Costello or something, and Stevie's "arrangments" alone can be too flat and uninteresting. Stevie's real talent, IMO, is the way she uses her voice to lay a lyric over a melody. She can cram more words into a phrase and make it come out sounding really good. I love that in her! BUT it only becomes a phenomena when it is layered over a Lindsey-forged tune.

I have always maintained that these two are just dynamite together, and that the underlying sexual tension just put the whole thing over the top!
I hope it still there!
Old 11-07-2002, 02:46 PM
joe

Quote:
Originally posted by DownOnRodeo

Try 'disturbing' not 'intriguing. Are you fgor real - all of Lindsey and Stevie's material knocked down to one CD and a whole cd of covers. What a joke of a 'New FM record' that would be. But I agree with everyone that "a couple of surprises" will mean (not more than) 2 Rolling Stones covers, She Smiled Sweetly and Gotta Get Away, or perhaps an actual Stones appearance on Gift of Screws.
I have to kind of agree here. As i've stated before, i strongly prefer FM to have material by only the people in the band and i really don't care how old it is. If FM and its respective members released albums every other year then i wouldn't really care if there were covers or not cause there would be a constant flood of material all the time.

As far as the material sounding like older work by the band it's a bit tricky...i guess i'm one of the few people that don't mind this...people say"oh, it sounds like everything else they've done..." well, you know what? There's something called a trademark...I understand that it doesn't mean you have to copy your older work and i don't think most artists do it intentionally but they have a certain sound and style that just comes through in the music...I can think of numerous bands/artists that have very similar sounding songs in their discography including the Rolling Stones...Actually, when the artist tries to divert from their usual style/sound sometimes it just doesn't work.

Think of some of the Beatles songs like She Loves You and I Wanna Hold Your hand...they sound very similar to me...or how about some of the Beach Boys songs? Or...how about the Goo Goo Dolls? Their stuff all sounds the same to me more than FM...

Think of some of Stevie's songs like Dreams, Sable on Blond, Outside the Rain...they're all linked by the same chords/progression...even Stevie once said her songs are like continuations of previous ones and i kinda like that myself...i don't think ALL of them should sound alike but maybe a few here and there....i think a lot of other artists are the same way...you don't have a lot of control when the muse is in full force and you just start creating...sometimes the stuff sounds the same and sometimes it doesn't...When two people have children sometimes they look alike and sometimes they don't. We don't criticize people for that!!!

Personally, i'm happy that FM is putting anything out at all and that 4 out of 5 members still enjoy what they do and who they do it with! And, if some of the new stuff doesn't hold up to the older stuff then they should go back into their catalog and use some of the stuff that's been collecting dust all these years...

All the above is just my opinion so be gentle on me!
Old 11-07-2002, 02:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
She can cram more words into a phrase and make it come out sounding really good.
Again, a matter of opinion...that's exactly what I can't STAND about her...she can't sing a line to match what's going on musically to save her ever widening ass. It's been that way since the mid-80's; she got worse & worse as the years went on. (the further & further away from Lindsey she got) She made a slight turn for the better on TISL (maybe has something to do with that 3 of the songs were old BN tunes that Lindsey helped create way back when). I'm interested to hear her new (using the word "new" loosely) tunes and the phrasing she'll use under the watchful eye of Mr. Buckingham this time out.

Quote:
And I've seen the commentary on these boards about "Come." It's definitely one of those songs that you hate or love. {edit} I like the musical approach, but I don't like all the screaming
Count me as a "hater". The song is pure guitar masturbation; yeah, there's some great guitar TONES...but, as a "song", it's ka-ka...there's no structure whatsoever; it starts nowhere, goes nowhere and by the end, I have to celebrate that it's FINALLY over...once I've gotten through yakking.

Just assume that when the new album is released and I finally nab a copy, if "Come" is indeed included, it will get one listen...if it even resembles what was leaked out with the GOS tune; that's it...it'll therefore forever get skipped. I just pray to the "big guy" that it's not in their concert set next summer...just might have to use it as my "beer & potty break".
Old 11-07-2002, 02:51 PM
joe

Quote:
Originally posted by CarneVaca
Finally, I would put money on this: After the new album in April, I give it another 12 months or so and the label will release some kind of rarities compilation. This has not yet happened with the Rumours lineup, but we know there's enough material that could be used for such a project. It also would help explain why none of these rarities were used in the compilation released last month, which by the way, I did not and do not plan to buy.
This would be a cool thing but i doubt it will happen.
Old 11-07-2002, 03:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default re:

Again, a matter of opinion...that's exactly what I can't STAND about her...she can't sing a line to match what's going on musically to save her ever widening ass.

I'd be careful here with the insults. From what I remember from "The Dance", it was Mr. Buckingham's ass (not to mention his face and chin) that were ever widening!
Old 11-07-2002, 03:14 PM
joe

Default Re: re:

Quote:
Originally posted by joe68
Again, a matter of opinion...that's exactly what I can't STAND about her...she can't sing a line to match what's going on musically to save her ever widening ass.

I'd be careful here with the insults. From what I remember from "The Dance", it was Mr. Buckingham's ass (not to mention his face and chin) that were ever widening!
Hey! I have an idea! Let's NOT bash the Fleetwoods - how about bashing the big ufo looking thing that was above the stage! What the hell was that thing???????!!!!!
Old 11-07-2002, 03:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Yes, isn't it funny how a woman's talent is always equated with what her body looks like. No one immediately goes for the jugular like that with the guys pot bellies and receding hairlines. I think they are sexy and cool because of their age and gray hair. All of the "old rockers" are cool as hell in my book. They're making history yet again, because they are the first generation to raise the bar as to when you are too old to rock. They are proving the answer is 'never'. There is nothing more annoying to me than some 20 year old singing about relationships when what he or she has actually experienced would fit into a teaspoon.

What each of us finds interesting and and attractive is just different, I guess. That's the fun of it.

Maybe Lindsey won't gain any weight this time, but even if he does it won't be an issue with me. Who knows? Maybe last time there was just a little too much laying up in the bed with Stevie ordering room service. I'm sure there won't be any of that this time...(rolls eyes innocently)....

I am just thrilled beyond belief there is even an album coming out to bitch about, and no matter what, somebody isn't going to be happy with it. I'm sure we will all have a grand old time ripping it to shreds upon it's much-anticipated delivery! lol!!

As far as cover tunes, I wouldn't mind a couple, but I really want "new" stuff, and if it sounds like the "old" stuff, then that's just "trademark FM" like one of the joes said.
We haven't had any good ol' trademark FM in a long time, so I welcome that!
Old 11-07-2002, 04:12 PM

Joe, you made some good points about the trademark sound. It's funny, even though Lindsey has gone off on some serious musical tangents, there's still something about the sound that remains very Lindsey. Often it is the lead guitar. Sometimes I'll listen to a Sheryl Crow tune (I forget which, but it's off The Globe Sessions) or some other artist (Hole's Celebrity Skin stuff comes to mind) and think, man, that lead guitar sounds a lot like Lindsey. I'd like to believe they were trying to emulate my favorite guitarist, although in the Sheryl Crow instance, who knows, maybe it is Lindsey.

Chili, you cracked me up with your comments. I tend to agree with most of what you said, though I must say the best thing about "Come" is the Hammond. Now, there's an instrument Fleetwood Mac just hasn't used enough. Maybe it will make a few appearances in the new record.

As for the UFO above the stage, it was not there when I saw the Mac in 1997. Was it there in the venue where you caught the band?
Old 11-07-2002, 04:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Yes, isn't it funny how a woman's talent is always equated with what her body looks like.

Typical...because of one comment to "body part" (albeit TRUE!), the entire point of my post is overlooked. Please re-read the post and comment on the POINT.

And, no a woman's talent is NOT "always equated". Look at Ella Fitzgerald, Etta James, Bessie Smith, Mahalia Jackson, Rosemary Clooney, Ann Wilson...I could go on. THEY have talent, no "equating" their physical form with their talent. To paraphrase that genius Forrest Gump, "Talent is as talent does".

Quote:
best thing about "Come" is the Hammond. Now, there's an instrument Fleetwood Mac just hasn't used enough.
???? Hmmm, with Christine gone, I doubt it'll get any MORE use than FMac HAS used it over the past 30+ years.

Quote:
As for the UFO above the stage, it was not there when I saw the Mac in 1997
Wasn't part of the stage set up for ANY part of "The Dance" tour itself, as far as I know. It was only used for the taping of the video. The actual stage lighting for the tour was a MUCH better design. Anybody think "The Dance" video "UFO" stage lighting was an influence on the original US stage set for the TV game show "Weakest Link"???
Old 11-07-2002, 04:39 PM
joe

Quote:
Originally posted by chiliD
???? Hmmm, with Christine gone, I doubt it'll get any MORE use than FMac HAS used it over the past 30+ years.

Wasn't part of the stage set up for ANY part of "The Dance" tour itself, as far as I know. It was only used for the taping of the video. The actual stage lighting for the tour was a MUCH better design. Anybody think "The Dance" video "UFO" stage lighting was an influence on the original US stage set for the TV game show "Weakest Link"???
1. Unfortunately =(
2. Yes! I think it was!!!!

The Weakest Link!
Old 11-07-2002, 04:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I still can't understand people hoping that material they already know will find a way on the new album. Remember- the more tunes you know the less material is new to you! Imagine it`s going to be a single disc of 16 songs (still absolutely possible- better said I believe in this) and you already know 10 tracks out of 16- what a disappointment!
Old 11-07-2002, 04:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by chiliD

Just assume that when the new album is released and I finally nab a copy, if "Come" is indeed included, it will get one listen...if it even resembles what was leaked out with the GOS tune; that's it...it'll therefore forever get skipped. I just pray to the "big guy" that it's not in their concert set next summer...just might have to use it as my "beer & potty break".
I agree. I hope to gawd they don't include "Come" in their setlist if it is indeed on the album.

"Hearts will break with choices we must
make, so sleep and dream of me."
- LB
Old 11-07-2002, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by stefan
I still can't understand people hoping that material they already know will find a way on the new album. Remember- the more tunes you know the less material is new to you! Imagine it`s going to be a single disc of 16 songs (still absolutely possible- better said I believe in this) and you already know 10 tracks out of 16- what a disappointment!
I have to agree with you. I'd love to get a couple of the GOS tunes mastered properly, but I'd much rather get a lot of new material. When Cracker, my other favorite band, released its latest album, the band had generously made every single track available for download as an mp3 at one time or another. As glad as I was to get those songs when they were available, the album was kind of a letdown when it was released, even though some of the mixes were different.

It's a matter of tradeoffs, I guess.
Old 11-07-2002, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by AliP

I agree. I hope to gawd they don't include "Come" in their setlist if it is indeed on the album.
Come now, folks.
Old 11-07-2002, 05:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
...the more tunes you know the less material is new to you!
Such is the sad existence of being an avid die-hard Fleetwood Mac fan.

The percentage of people who will be familiar with the tunes on the new album is relatively small compared to the number of people who will probably buy the album. I'd GUESS that 95% of the people who buy the album will have a FULL ALBUM's worth of "new" tunes they aren't familiar with. It's just us die hards who even KNOW that Lindsey had a double album's worth of material that never got officially released, and that most of it was leaked out. Plus, I'd prefer to hear these tunes as offered "officially" and "completed" over the very good, but far from finished versions that were leaked a couple of years ago; or from the poor quality reference demos of Stevie's that seem to find their way around in trading circles and mp3 sharing sites.

Quote:
I hope to gawd they don't include "Come" in their setlist if it is indeed on the album
It's nice that I'm not alone in that sentiment. However, I hope we don't have to grab the salt & pepper to eat our words, Ali. I just now recall saying the same thing about "Not That Funny" when "Tusk" was first released! I downright fear that I'll eventually LIKE the song after seeing them play it live.

Last edited by chiliD; 11-07-2002 at 05:09 PM..