The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Chit Chat
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read


Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #31  
Old 10-07-2018, 12:29 PM
FuzzyPlum FuzzyPlum is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 2,796
Default

The House with a Clock in it's Walls: B-
Watched this a couple of weeks ago. Not an awful film- just really strange. The trailers suggest its a comedy (and with Jack Black in it that's what you'd expect). However the trailers show every comical moment- and that's it. Overall it really isn't a comedy. In fact, it's pitched at the wrong audience- it's actually quite scary for young kids. Quite entertaining but very odd.
__________________

'Where words fail, music speaks'
Mick Fleetwood
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 10-08-2018, 02:20 AM
Jondalar's Avatar
Jondalar Jondalar is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 6,008
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyPlum View Post
The House with a Clock in it's Walls: B-
Watched this a couple of weeks ago. Not an awful film- just really strange. The trailers suggest its a comedy (and with Jack Black in it that's what you'd expect). However the trailers show every comical moment- and that's it. Overall it really isn't a comedy. In fact, it's pitched at the wrong audience- it's actually quite scary for young kids. Quite entertaining but very odd.
Thanks for review. I have no desire to see this film. It look looked to kiddish to me.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 10-08-2018, 10:21 AM
Feather Blade Feather Blade is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 439
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jondalar View Post
26. Smallfoot, grade C+ = surprisingly this cartoon was boring, it was barely good. Was sort of disappointed.
You see such an amazing variety of film types. If you go see it, I am interested to hear what you think of Bad Times at the El Royale. It seems more like something my other half would be interested in, but for some reason I am intrigued by the story.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 10-08-2018, 12:57 PM
FuzzyPlum FuzzyPlum is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 2,796
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jondalar View Post
Thanks for review. I have no desire to see this film. It look looked to kiddish to me.

I had no desire really but took my 6 year old daughter- thought it would be right up her street from what we saw on the trailers. As I said though- it turned out there's actually very little humour in it. It was more like a scarier Harry Potter film about wizards and warlocks for 13/14 year olds.
__________________

'Where words fail, music speaks'
Mick Fleetwood
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 10-14-2018, 04:11 PM
Jondalar's Avatar
Jondalar Jondalar is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 6,008
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feather Blade View Post
You see such an amazing variety of film types. If you go see it, I am interested to hear what you think of Bad Times at the El Royale. It seems more like something my other half would be interested in, but for some reason I am intrigued by the story.
I didnít see El Royals. Here is the thing. No one I went with wanted to see it. It supposed to be kinda good but repetitive and no one was in a he mood for it. Sorry just doesnít seem that appealing.
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 10-14-2018, 04:15 PM
Jondalar's Avatar
Jondalar Jondalar is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 6,008
Default

28. Venom, Grade B- = what a surprise! This movie is getting savaged by critics but I liked it. Itís chalk full of great action scenes. Is it great? no! But it is good. Very 80s and 90s type of superhero movie. I cannot believe this is only getting a 30% approval rating on rotten tomatoes. You may like this.
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 10-21-2018, 10:31 PM
Jondalar's Avatar
Jondalar Jondalar is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 6,008
Default

29. Halloween, grade B- = there is a low budget cheapness that works with this movie. Itís not great, but not bad. Not anywhere near as good as the original or Rob Zombieís remake. There are some plot twists that are totally unbelievable but I liked the performances and some of the kills.
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 10-22-2018, 08:51 AM
FuzzyPlum FuzzyPlum is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 2,796
Default

Johnny English Strikes Again: C=
Meh
__________________

'Where words fail, music speaks'
Mick Fleetwood
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 10-22-2018, 01:54 PM
paleshadow's Avatar
paleshadow paleshadow is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 1,407
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jondalar View Post
29. Halloween, grade B- = there is a low budget cheapness that works with this movie. Itís not great, but not bad. Not anywhere near as good as the original or Rob Zombieís remake. There are some plot twists that are totally unbelievable but I liked the performances and some of the kills.
I really enjoyed it. I thought it was just as good as the first, and I absolutely hated Rob Zombies vision of it because he took away the mystery and almost made Michael someone you sympathized with. When I watched it I wondered if Laurie had only hugged him when he showed her the baby picture he had of her, would they have gone off someplace and been a happy family?

So without spoiling the new movie for anyone, do you think they'll do another or that this was it?
__________________
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c62/dsaje/nicks.jpg
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 10-23-2018, 04:25 PM
Jondalar's Avatar
Jondalar Jondalar is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 6,008
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by paleshadow View Post
I really enjoyed it. I thought it was just as good as the first, and I absolutely hated Rob Zombies vision of it because he took away the mystery and almost made Michael someone you sympathized with. When I watched it I wondered if Laurie had only hugged him when he showed her the baby picture he had of her, would they have gone off someplace and been a happy family?

So without spoiling the new movie for anyone, do you think they'll do another or that this was it?
Because the movie only cost 10 million to make and it made about 80 million in its opening weekend, Iím sure there will be some type of sequel. Jamie Lee had a deal where she gets a chunk of the profits. Iím sure once she sees the paycheck, she will sign on. Itís also good for women over 55 to be able to open a movie.
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old 10-23-2018, 04:26 PM
Jondalar's Avatar
Jondalar Jondalar is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 6,008
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyPlum View Post
Johnny English Strikes Again: C=
Meh
Never heard of it.
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 10-24-2018, 08:58 AM
Feather Blade Feather Blade is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 439
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jondalar View Post
I didnít see El Royals. Here is the thing. No one I went with wanted to see it. It supposed to be kinda good but repetitive and no one was in a he mood for it. Sorry just doesnít seem that appealing.
Thanks for your thoughts anyway. We may give it a try. We'll see.
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 10-25-2018, 05:21 PM
FuzzyPlum FuzzyPlum is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 2,796
Default

Bohemian Rhapsody: A-
Just watched this- I thought it was really, really good. The performances by each of the four principle actors were fantastic- they absolutely nailed the nuances of the respective band members (and surely Rami Malek's portrayal of Freddie Mercury may warrant an Academy Award nomination). The star of this film is the music itself though, culminating in Queen's full 1985 performance at Live Aid. This film wasn't perfect; I don't want to watch it again in a hurry but I do want to break out a number of the Queen albums. Also, there seemed to be several frustrating inaccuracies with timelines that were obviously played around with in order to suit the overall narrative and ensure the running time fitted. This came across as a bit disingenuous for a music biopic closely produced by the remaining band members themselves.
Overall though, a damned fine movie that served to reminded me of how great a Fleetwood Mac biopic could one day be.
Edit: PS- I should have mentioned there's a lot of humour in this film. Though at times it deals with 'difficult' themes, the overall tone of the film is quite light.
__________________

'Where words fail, music speaks'
Mick Fleetwood

Last edited by FuzzyPlum : 10-26-2018 at 04:03 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 10-25-2018, 05:30 PM
FuzzyPlum FuzzyPlum is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 2,796
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jondalar View Post
Never heard of it.
Its the third film in a series of James Bond parodies by Rowan Atkinson (Black Adder, Mr Bean). You haven't missed much.
__________________

'Where words fail, music speaks'
Mick Fleetwood
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 10-26-2018, 02:40 AM
Jondalar's Avatar
Jondalar Jondalar is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 6,008
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyPlum View Post
Bohemian Rhapsody: A-
Just watched this- I thought it was really, really good. The performances by each of the four principle actors were fantastic- they absolutely nailed the nuances of the respective band members (and surely Rami Malek's portrayal of Freddie Mercury may warrant an Academy Award nomination). The star of this film is the music itself though, culminating in Queen's full 1985 performance at Live Aid. This film wasn't perfect; I don't want to watch it again in a hurry but I do want to break out a number of the Queen albums. Also, there seemed to be several frustrating inaccuracies with timelines that were obviously played around with in order to suit the overall narrative and ensure the running time fitted. This came across as a bit disingenuous for a music biopic closely produced by the remaining band members themselves.
Overall though, a damned fine movie that served to reminded me of how great a Fleetwood Mac biopic could one day be.
I cannot wait to see this film.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump

John McVie Autograph *Fleetwood Mac* Hand Signed 10x8 Photo
$124.34
John McVie Autograph *Fleetwood Mac* Hand Signed 10x8 Photo picturec1977 RUMOURS ERA FLEETWOOD MAC PROOF SHEET JOHN MCVIE & CURRY GRANT MID FINGER
$64.99
c1977 RUMOURS ERA FLEETWOOD MAC PROOF SHEET JOHN MCVIE & CURRY GRANT MID FINGER pictureDENNIS WILSON candid PHOTO rare pic taken by Geo Emmel JOHN McVIE Fleetwood Mac
$34.95
DENNIS WILSON candid PHOTO rare pic taken by Geo Emmel JOHN McVIE Fleetwood Mac pictureWire Photo Famed British Bassist John McVie of Fleetwood Mac
$20.0
Wire Photo Famed British Bassist John McVie of Fleetwood Mac picturePress Photo Rock Bass Player John McVie of Fleetwood Mac
$20.0
Press Photo Rock Bass Player John McVie of Fleetwood Mac picture



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:54 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 1995-2003 Martin and Lisa Adelson, All Rights Reserved