User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 10-23-2014, 04:58 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandon View Post
Regarding his handling of Stevie's songs on these projects I agree (vocals were subpar on several tracks), but can go back further to Twisted and Tango in the Night in terms of production. I can see why she's concerned. Mirage was the last time he consistently got it right. That's a long time ago!
I disagree. If there is any question of quality regarding Stevie's songs on Tango, the fault falls on Stevie, not Lindsey. Recall that Stevie didn't dedicate much time or effort to the Tango album. The songs she contributed needed a lot of production to save them, and Lindsey stepped up to plate.

While it is a matter of opinion in regard to the production qualities of Stevie's songs on Say You Will, Lindsey's production approach to Stevie's songs was equal to that of his own songs. And the quality of Stevie's vocals and songs are her responsibility, not his.

The sound of the Say You Will album was of it's time, just as Tango in the Night was. It's very likely a new Fleetwood Mac album will have it's own particular feel and texture. Lindsey is initially responsible for refining the initial Fleetwood Mac/Stevie songs that launched his and her careers. Why would he have an agenda to sabotage her songs?

No one knows Stevie's strategy. Yet, I don't think her perceived hesitance is just about Lindsey's production skills.

Last edited by PenguinHead; 10-23-2014 at 05:28 AM..
Old 10-23-2014, 06:37 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueLight View Post
And misogyny. Don't forget misogyny.
Good point. If it were Eric Clapton or Bob Dylan or Santana...

Imagine paying $1000 to hear "Don't Dream It's Over" instead of "Go Your Own Way"

Fleetwood Mac helped me through a time of heartbreak. 12 years later, they broke my heart.
Old 10-23-2014, 09:38 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueFaith77 View Post
Good point. If it were Eric Clapton or Bob Dylan or Santana...
Yeah because their recent stuff was all over the radio.....
Old 10-23-2014, 09:41 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Regarding his handling of Stevie's songs on these projects I agree (vocals were subpar on several tracks), but can go back further to Twisted and Tango in the Night in terms of production. I can see why she's concerned. Mirage was the last time he consistently got it right. That's a long time ago!
To be fair Lindsey was 'polishing a turd' with Stevie's songs for Tango In The Night. In the end I think he did a damn fine job to turn them into something worthwhile. In particular Welcome To The Room Sara is a very average offering on her part but Lindsey crafted it into something I really like (I think it has a nice vibe and stands out on that album as a really earthy rock song).
Old 10-23-2014, 06:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVielhaber View Post
Yeah because their recent stuff was all over the radio.....
Well more contemporarily speaking: Bruce Springsteen.

Imagine paying $1000 to hear "Don't Dream It's Over" instead of "Go Your Own Way"

Fleetwood Mac helped me through a time of heartbreak. 12 years later, they broke my heart.
Old 10-23-2014, 06:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyPlum View Post
To be fair Lindsey was 'polishing a turd' with Stevie's songs for Tango In The Night. In the end I think he did a damn fine job to turn them into something worthwhile.
I am listening to Tango this evening, and although I think Welcome to the Room.. Sara.. and If I See you Again are ok, they just don't fit with the Tango sound. So I created a Tango playlist swapping out Sara for All the Beautiful Worlds and If I See You Again for She Loves Him Still. Flows better and they could have been on that record. Just having fun...
Old 10-23-2014, 07:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyPlum View Post
To be fair Lindsey was 'polishing a turd' with Stevie's songs for Tango In The Night. In the end I think he did a damn fine job to turn them into something worthwhile. In particular Welcome To The Room Sara is a very average offering on her part but Lindsey crafted it into something I really like (I think it has a nice vibe and stands out on that album as a really earthy rock song).
Although I never cared for WTTRS, I see your point. And I don't include Seven Wonders as a Stevie song since she really didn't write it.
Old 10-23-2014, 09:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinHead View Post
I disagree. If there is any question of quality regarding Stevie's songs on Tango, the fault falls on Stevie, not Lindsey. Recall that Stevie didn't dedicate much time or effort to the Tango album. The songs she contributed needed a lot of production to save them, and Lindsey stepped up to plate.
I agree and disagree with you. Definitely Nicks' quality (songwriting wise and performance wise) was heavily impacted by her drug use, so I agree with you there. But when you listen to the demo of "Welcome to the Room...Sara" it sounds more serious and works better as a song. Lindsey's "island feel" production for it just really blows the song to smithereens...it doesn't fit the lyrics, it isn't catchy, it basically makes "Welcome to the Room...Sara" a meandering mess (or more of a meandering mess than it initially was).
Old 10-23-2014, 09:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
I am listening to Tango this evening, and although I think Welcome to the Room.. Sara.. and If I See you Again are ok, they just don't fit with the Tango sound. So I created a Tango playlist swapping out Sara for All the Beautiful Worlds and If I See You Again for She Loves Him Still. Flows better and they could have been on that record. Just having fun...
Yes! This is what baffles me about Tango.....why, when Nicks had vaults of decent songs sitting around, did they accept "Welcome to the Room...Sara" and "When I See You Again", which are pretty subpar for Nicks?

Nicks really made "Seven Wonders" her own, even though she didn't write it.
Old 10-23-2014, 09:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabruns View Post
Yes! This is what baffles me about Tango.....why, when Nicks had vaults of decent songs sitting around, did they accept "Welcome to the Room...Sara" and "When I See You Again", which are pretty subpar for Nicks?

Did he think the songs where sub par but went along anyway due to a variety of factors including Stevie's lack of involvement in the project? Maybe he was pissed at her and said he thought they had promise knowing they were duds. It's obvious he was pissed at her during that period.

Last edited by Bandon; 10-23-2014 at 09:40 PM..
Old 10-23-2014, 09:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Did he think the songs where sub par but went along anyway due to a variety of factors including Stevie's lack of involvement in the project? Maybe he was pissed at her and said he thought they had promise knowing they were duds. It's obvious he was pissed at her during that period.
Not sure but what a missed opportunity! Buckingham and McVie both turned in really great songs. If Nicks had been up to the standards of her work on the previous Mac albums, Tango would have rivaled Rumours in song quality.
Old 10-23-2014, 09:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Agreed. ..........
Old 10-23-2014, 10:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

What I don't get is how "Whole Lotta Trouble" ended up on a solo album when she was in a band with THE Queen of the British Blues and THREE former Bluesbreakers at the time. That would have been epic as a Fleetwood Mac song.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 10-23-2014, 10:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
What I don't get is how "Whole Lotta Trouble" ended up on a solo album when she was in a band with THE Queen of the British Blues and THREE former Bluesbreakers at the time. That would have been epic as a Fleetwood Mac song.
She might have written that after Tango. She said recently that she "wrote OSOTM" in the year prior to its release "when [she] had sobered up".
Old 10-23-2014, 10:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
She might have written that after Tango. She said recently that she "wrote OSOTM" in the year prior to its release "when [she] had sobered up".
I know. I was wondering why she didn't give it to Fleetwood Mac for BTM, when Rick Vito was in the band. Mick, John, and Christine are British blues legends and Rick is one of the best blues guitarists around. The one time Stevie wrote a blues song and was in a band with four of the best blues musicians, she did it as a solo artist.

THE Stephen Hopkins