Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Lindsey Buckingham
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 01-08-2007, 12:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Lindsey interview in Mojo magazine

There is an interview with LB in the new Mojo complete with a full page picture from the 'hairy 70's'.
The piece is called 'The Mac daddy.' I can't find it online to post. Has anyone else seen it?
Old 01-08-2007, 03:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Finland, the country where polar bears walk on the streets singing "Silver Girl"

While you're at it, post the scans for the 14 page Joy Division feature!

^ - "a selfindulged, but funny butthead of a Fin" - Shackin'up
Old 01-08-2007, 05:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I'll get it tomorrow and post it for y'all.
Thanks for the heads up!
There was also supposed to be an interview in Record Collector but that doesn't seem to have emerged yet!
Old 01-09-2007, 05:50 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I'll post the picture later, it's hilarious!

The Mac Daddy
Lindsey Buckingham talks of going back to basics, Fleetwood Mac, and showing off. By Paul Elliott

“I have a genuine need to get all this music out,” says Lindsey Buckingham. Fifty-seven and a father of three, he could be talking it easy these days. It’s not as if he needs to work: his on-off tenure as guitarist, singer, songwriter and producer for Fleetwood Mac has seen to that. But Buckingham is as busily creative now as he’s ever been, having recently released his fourth solo album.
Written, recorded and mixed in hotel rooms during the last Fleetwood tour, Under The Skin was both critically lauded and in harmony with neo-folkers like Vetiver or Devendra Banhart. He has its follow-up already written, and admits he’d like to make another Fleetwood Mac album too. But with the Mac on indefinite hiatus, Buckingham the free-standing artist is flourishing. “I love that innocent idea of presentation on those great old ‘70s records,” he muses.

How did you find time to make an album during that Mac tour?
Simple. We’re lucky if we do three shows in a week, because Stevie [Nicks] needs time to rest her voice. So we had a lot of days off, and there are only so many movies you can watch on the hotel TV.

Under The Skin is very much a solo album, just your voice and guitar.
I’m very happy with it, because in one sense it’s a departure, but in another sense it’s going back to an approach I was more in touch with before I was in Fleetwood Mac. On the last tour, I’d played simpler versions of some old songs like Big Love, and I wanted to translate that style to this record. It’s like Blue by Joni Mitchell. There’s so little on that record. There’s a real purity about it, a very intimate feel.

It’s markedly different to your previous solo records.
I went back and listened to them recently. I’m not crazy about the first one [Law And Order] but Go Insane is better, even though Roy Thomas Baker [producer] spent most of the time just barking orders. I’d have to smoke a big joint to be able to listen to all of it, and I haven’t done that in a long time. I hope nobody is listening in to this conversation… I’m clean, look in my bag!

Three solo albums in 25 years – and now, perhaps, two inside a year? And the next one a rock album?
Yeah, let’s rock! Well, that’s what some people are saying, haha. There’s maybe more interest in the idea of a conventional rock album, and it would certainly make the marketing strategy easier. But those things come second to doing something that’s true to myself.

Was that the thinking behind the autobiographical lyrics on Under The Skin, like when you speak of being a “visionary” on Cast Away Dreams.
That was inspired by a review in Rolling Stone of the first Fleetwood Mac albums that myself and Stevie were on. It referred to me as the misunderstood visionary. I don’t think of myself as that so much as someone who learned to be his own biggest fan.

In the same song you also reflect upon the impact your musician’s ego has on your family life.
That’s an overstatement for the drama of the song. But, I’ve seen my kids look disappointed and even now, they don’t always understand my work. They were with me on the Fleetwood Mac tour, and my youngest son said something about daddy showing off in front of all these people. I guess he had a point. I was playing a lot more rock guitar, and there was definitely more testosterone going on – well, what little I have left.

Have you seen the rest of the band since that tour ended?
I speak to Mick [Fleetwood] a few times a year. I saw Stevie a few months ago. She gave me a setlist of what we should play the next time we’re on the road. It’ll happen. But when, I’m not sure. We may make another record, but it’s difficult to tell.

Nothing is ever simple with Fleetwood Mac.
That’s true. But hey, that’s what makes it so interesting. We’ve never all been on the same page, taste-wise. We really have no business being in a band together.

Last edited by trackaghost; 01-09-2007 at 05:55 AM..
Old 01-09-2007, 10:14 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Great interview! I can't believe he doesn't like Law & Order. Of course, it always seems that he is his own worst critic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackaghost View Post
How did you find time to make an album during that Mac tour?
Simple. We’re lucky if we do three shows in a week, because Stevie [Nicks] needs time to rest her voice. So we had a lot of days off, and there are only so many movies you can watch on the hotel TV.
Bwwwwaaahhhaaaahhhhaaaa!

Quote:
They were with me on the Fleetwood Mac tour, and my youngest son said something about daddy showing off in front of all these people. I guess he had a point. I was playing a lot more rock guitar, and there was definitely more testosterone going on – well, what little I have left.
Smart kid. And I think LB has plenty of testosterone left in him.

Quote:
I saw Stevie a few months ago. She gave me a setlist of what we should play the next time we’re on the road. It’ll happen. But when, I’m not sure. We may make another record, but it’s difficult to tell.
Why would she have to write out the same set they've played for the last 10 years? I can picture her shoving a piece of paper at him, saying "here, let's play these songs next tour" and him rolling his eyes a little. Funny.

Quote:
We’ve never all been on the same page, taste-wise. We really have no business being in a band together.
Funny. Cuz it's true. But somehow, it works.
Old 01-09-2007, 10:46 AM
Senior Ledgie

Excellent article! Finally dropping some of the cut and paste answers! Thanks for posting.
Old 01-09-2007, 11:09 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Trackaghost - thanks for that. I'm not good at posting stuff unless it's online
Old 01-09-2007, 11:21 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Thanks for posting.
Old 01-09-2007, 11:49 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I think maybe after they "let" her play Beautiful Child last time, which she said she was thrilled by, she would like to do something like that. I mean she hauled out Silver Springs for The Dance and then BC for SYW. So, she clearly likes to pull obscure things out for FM tours. IMO, she also does for her solo stuff as evidenced by her playing much of TISL, Circle Dance, and R&R -- granted once they are in, they are in and that kind of does not change, but they were different than the "hits." Ditto for So You Wanna Be a Rock and Roll Star on the Henley double bill.

save the cheerleader - save the world
Old 01-09-2007, 11:53 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I’d have to smoke a big joint to be able to listen to all of it, and I haven’t done that in a long time. I hope nobody is listening in to this conversation… I’m clean, look in my bag!
Right, Linds, and I'm the Pope.
Old 01-09-2007, 12:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by strandinthewind View Post
I think maybe after they "let" her play Beautiful Child last time, which she said she was thrilled by, she would like to do something like that. I mean she hauled out Silver Springs for The Dance and then BC for SYW. So, she clearly likes to pull obscure things out for FM tours. IMO, she also does for her solo stuff as evidenced by her playing much of TISL, Circle Dance, and R&R -- granted once they are in, they are in and that kind of does not change, but they were different than the "hits." Ditto for So You Wanna Be a Rock and Roll Star on the Henley double bill.
I thought I had read that it was LB's idea to do Beautiful Child. Hopefully he'll push for Storms this time around, as far as Stevie songs go.
Old 01-09-2007, 12:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Thumbs up Wow.

What an amazing article/Q&A! One of the most candid I've read since UTS came out. Can't wait to see the pic!
Old 01-09-2007, 12:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

thanks, sharon. that was a great article!

Quote:
there are only so many movies you can watch on the hotel TV.
i thought the bare wench project never got old?
Old 01-09-2007, 01:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by skcin View Post
I thought I had read that it was LB's idea to do Beautiful Child. Hopefully he'll push for Storms this time around, as far as Stevie songs go.
As in the DR doc. - they seemingly practice lots of songs and then make a group decision as to what stays. According to her, she would love to do Storms, but tried and it never really seemed to work to where the band wanted to do it.

save the cheerleader - save the world
Old 01-09-2007, 01:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Three solo albums in 25 years – and now, perhaps, two inside a year? And the next one a rock album? Yeah, let’s rock! Well, that’s what some people are saying, haha. There’s maybe more interest in the idea of a conventional rock album, and it would certainly make the marketing strategy easier. But those things come second to doing something that’s true to myself.

I am damn well curious of what is in store for us from Lindsey