Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 05-04-2018, 01:25 PM
Senior Ledgie

Lightbulb Thoughts on this tour and Lindsey's Departure

First thing, this is not a hateful post. It's not angry. It is long but it's not a rant (maybe kind of? ). I like to think of it more like a stream of thoughts. I won't criticize anybody for thinking the way they do BUT I also see a lot of hate and not a lot of support so I'd like to throw some thoughts out there . . .

Fleetwood Mac has had many line-up changes. Peter Green, Danny Kirwin, Jeremy Spencer, Bob Welch, and of course Mick and John too . . . All there before Lindsey Buckingham. As we all know, there were plenty of changes even after Lindsey and Stevie came into the picture. Bob Brunning, Dave Walker, Bob Weston, Billy Burnette, Rick Vito, Bekka Bramlett, Dave Mason. All members of Fleetwood Mac. Lindsey even quit the band once but Mick and Stevie are being accused of manipulating things somehow (Maybe they did? We don't know for sure but I never see any John or Christine hate. Do people see the two as weaklings just waiting for Mick or Stevie to tell them what to do? I don't think so. Christine quit the band once. She's not a push-over.)

Stevie seemed somewhat disinterested in Fleetwood Mac business recently but I would assume that since she did agree to tour, she had some kind of schedule set. I would assume that they all did and Lindsey wanting to postpone the tour a year must have completely complicated things.

Would it be better to not tour at all? Probably. But all of the remaining "Rumours" members made the decision to go on. Not just Mick and Stevie. The Stevie hate has been especially incredible. It's as if people picture her as this manipulative shrew, plotting Lindsey's demise. She's worked with him through worse times. Why, in her mid-60's, when the band is in it's final stages, would she decide to make a move now? It doesn't make sense. It sounds like a scheduling conflict to me, which is exactly what they said it was. They've never been a band to dodge subjects before. Why lie now? Stevie made it pretty clear that she intended to make her solo career a priority after what was supposed to be a Rumours five farewell tour. If she had waited a year, I'm sure all of her plans would have gone out the window (Yes, and the money too. They may be superstars but walking away from a huge paycheck can't be easy especially when you've been planning on it).

Was Lindsey "fired"? I guess, technically. But I find pointing blame elsewhere difficult when he was the lone problem in scheduling a tour. It depends on your point of view. I'm sure many see it as such and that's fine. It sucks but it is what it is. They probably shouldn't have toured but it can still be fun. I guess I think it seems like regular, every day problems that we all have. Scheduling and money. They have to think about those things too. The band is their job. People like to romanticize it but that's what bands are.

There has been something good (big or small) to come out of just about every Fleetwood Mac era in my opinion so I'm just going to enjoy this for whatever is. I would have rather seen the band with Lindsey but there's no point in being miserable about such a trivial subject.
Old 05-04-2018, 01:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Machu, I also am somewhat perplexed at how John and Christine have escaped the wrath of people who, when they say they're angry with the band, only mean Stevie and Mick. They may say they're angry with Christine and John, but they don't call them names or make nasty remarks about them. No one is writing Chri$tine for example. That clearly shows a bias.
Old 05-04-2018, 02:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

No disrespect but people keep making new threads on LB's departure. We have plenty.
Old 05-04-2018, 02:05 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondhandchain View Post
No disrespect but people keep making new threads on LB's departure. We have plenty.
Most are at least 4 pages long and full of hate. I'd rather not participate in that. Also, it's not like this forum is bursting with activity.
Old 05-04-2018, 02:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwboy View Post
Machu, I also am somewhat perplexed at how John and Christine have escaped the wrath of people who, when they say they're angry with the band, only mean Stevie and Mick. They may say they're angry with Christine and John, but they don't call them names or make nasty remarks about them. No one is writing Chri$tine for example. That clearly shows a bias.

I'm angry with all of them but clearly Mick and Stevie are the ones that orchestrated everything. Chris and John just went along with it (and in Chris's case didn't even have a say). Of course they should have stood up for Lindsey (perhaps they did), but its only reasonable Mick and Stevie are the ones everyone's ire is directed towards. Its not about bias, they are just a bit more culpable.

'Where words fail, music speaks'
Mick Fleetwood
Old 05-04-2018, 04:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyPlum View Post
I'm angry with all of them but clearly Mick and Stevie are the ones that orchestrated everything. Chris and John just went along with it (and in Chris's case didn't even have a say). Of course they should have stood up for Lindsey (perhaps they did), but its only reasonable Mick and Stevie are the ones everyone's ire is directed towards. Its not about bias, they are just a bit more culpable.
I see what you're saying.

Regardless, if Stevie and Mick truly were the only architects behind Lindsey's firing, I actually believe if either John or Christine had put their foot down and said they wouldn't continue on without Lindsey, this whole thing could have been avoided. Not a doubt in my mind. They clearly didn't, because they're going on the tour, posing for photo shoots, giving interviews, and rehearsing. So we've got two people who wanted Lindsey out, and two people who didn't give a blank one way or the other.
Old 05-04-2018, 04:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwboy View Post
I see what you're saying.

Regardless, if Stevie and Mick truly were the only architects behind Lindsey's firing, I actually believe if either John or Christine had put their foot down and said they wouldn't continue on without Lindsey, this whole thing could have been avoided. Not a doubt in my mind. They clearly didn't, because they're going on the tour, posing for photo shoots, giving interviews, and rehearsing. So we've got two people who wanted Lindsey out, and two people who didn't give a blank one way or the other.

Which means two of them have been a bit sh!t and the other two even sh!ttier

'Where words fail, music speaks'
Mick Fleetwood
Old 05-04-2018, 05:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machu View Post
Most are at least 4 pages long and full of hate. I'd rather not participate in that. Also, it's not like this forum is bursting with activity.
might not hurt to read some of those threads and pages to actually understand what happened before going off? it may come as a surprise that what you describe is not what happened.

#justathought

lather. rinse. repeat.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 05-04-2018, 08:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyPlum View Post
Which means two of them have been a bit sh!t and the other two even sh!ttier
Yeah, and seeing Christine all happy makes me despise her even more. At least Stevie is putting on a show for the cameras.
"I think what you would say is that there were factions within the band that had lost their perspective. What that did was to harm the 43-year legacy that we had worked so hard to build, and that legacy was really about rising above difficulties in order to fulfill one's higher truth and one's higher destiny."
Lindsey Buckingham, May 11, 2018.
Old 05-05-2018, 03:49 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
But all of the remaining "Rumours" members made the decision to go on. Not just Mick and Stevie. The Stevie hate has been especially incredible. It's as if people picture her as this manipulative shrew, plotting Lindsey's demise. She's worked with him through worse times. Why, in her mid-60's, when the band is in it's final stages, would she decide to make a move now? It doesn't make sense.
You are right, it doesn't make sense. But you are wrong when you say there was a scheduling conflict because Lindsey WAS planning to tour with them and was excited about it, his band musicians confirm thus and that is fact.
Why would Stevie do this? Who knows.... as it's an incredibly vindictive thing to do your partner in crime and musical soulmate. Was she jealous of BuckVie, bitter and again jealous of his happy home life with his wife and kids, grieving from Tom's death and acting without thinking as she did when Robin died....?... who knows, either way it's inexcusable and selfish and has destroyed the Rumours 5 legacy and crushed an enormous amount of loyal FM fans
Old 05-05-2018, 08:34 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Why, in her mid-60's, when the band is in it's final stages, would she decide to make a move now?
Umm, she's actually on the Edge of 70.

She'll be hitting that mark in just a few weeks.

Old 05-05-2018, 09:13 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel75 View Post
You are right, it doesn't make sense. But you are wrong when you say there was a scheduling conflict because Lindsey WAS planning to tour with them and was excited about it, his band musicians confirm thus and that is fact.
Why would Stevie do this? Who knows.... as it's an incredibly vindictive thing to do your partner in crime and musical soulmate. Was she jealous of BuckVie, bitter and again jealous of his happy home life with his wife and kids, grieving from Tom's death and acting without thinking as she did when Robin died....?... who knows, either way it's inexcusable and selfish and has destroyed the Rumours 5 legacy and crushed an enormous amount of loyal FM fans
I'm just hoping maybe if this was something crazy she did as a result of grief, she'll come to her senses and realize what a horrible mistake she made, and she and Lindsey can patch it up.

I don't think she was jealous or bitter or anything like that. However, she has complained many times that Lindsey stresses her out. From what she has said recently, I can see her telling herself that Tom is dead and she wants to be happy, and that eliminating Lindsey will make her happy and stress-free... so she pushes him out without considering that you just can't do something that selfish without hurting yourself and everyone else in the long run. She doesn't stop to think that doing something so selfish is just wrong.

Maybe, when she is thinking more clearly, she will realize all of this.

I just can't believe it would end this way.

Last edited by sodascouts; 05-05-2018 at 09:25 AM..
Old 05-05-2018, 10:29 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I’m not hating anybody but do feel so angry. Not particularly in one or two members, but with the whole band. To me, current legendary Fleetwood Mac was the Rumours lineup and I felt they were too mature to keep changing and evolving like a young band. Fleetwood Mac is a legendary band, and I wanted to see and listen this classic band, not new lineups. But that’s me, and I respect if others are happy with new lineups.

Can’t blame on Stevie, Mick, Lindsey, etc., cause I was not there. And I don’t want to make up theories. And though I’d like to know the actual reason, at the same time I had enough with what happened on August 7, 1987.

So, personally, I’m angry with all of them because they didn’t reach an agreement that would ensure this classic lineup and classic band. Though I knew they have always been “a storm”, I thought brawls and break ups were a thing of the past. So I’m not listening to Fleetwood Mac music nowadays. I know it is temporary; I’ll enjoy their old albums again soon. But now I’m not in the mood to listening them.
Old 05-05-2018, 11:27 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Brown View Post
Umm, she's actually on the [I]Edge of 70[/I].

She'll be hitting that mark in just a few weeks.
it's her 70th bday gift from Mick.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 05-05-2018, 11:32 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
it's her 70th bday gift from Mick.
I'd like to give her a gift.