Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > The Early Years
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 05-27-2003, 01:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Exclamation Name Some...

Name some of Fm's best hits from the pre-Rumours lineup.

I wanna get into this era but I don't know where to start.

Thanks
Old 05-27-2003, 01:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Are you looking for specific SONGS or ALBUMS?

There were 9 incarnations before Stevie & Lindsey joined...which particular incarnation are you wanting to know about? All? Peter Green? Bob Welch?

Need more info to give the best answer.
Old 05-27-2003, 03:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Well, it's a bit intense and somber for some tastes, but I HIGHLY recommend "Man Of The World."
For me, that's the pinnacle of Peter Green's Mac contributions.

From the pre-Buckingham & Nicks years, I also suggest....

Oh Well
Need Your Love So Bad
Albatross
Rattlesnake Shake
I Loved Another Woman
Closing My Eyes
Although The Sun Is Shining
Jewel-Eyed Judy
Station Man
Woman Of A Thousand Years
Future Games
Lay It All Down
Sentimental Lady
Silver Heels
Spare Me A Little Of Your Love
Hypnotized
Why
Prove Your Love
Just Crazy Love

Of course, those songs are just the tip of the iceberg... but should make for a nice starting point.
Old 05-27-2003, 04:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

To add to Johnny's list:

Revelation
Bermuda Triangle
Sands Of Time
Child Of Mine
Dust
Green Manalishi

oh, let's skip the pretense ...just go get:

The Complete Blue Horizon Sessions
Then Play On
Kiln House
Greatest Hits (1971)
Future Games
Bare Trees
Penguin
Mystery To Me
Heroes Are Hard To Find

Old 05-27-2003, 07:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Question BLUEGRASS

I assume you have the chain box set (for at least it's inclusion of the BN era rarities) so let us know what you particularly like of the NON BN era stuff on that box and then we can better suggest some stuff for ya (just an idea I had which I thought might make it easier to see where your tastes lay regarding "pre '75 Mac") and therefore hopefully help determine what specifically you might like from the pre BN days.

John

Last edited by wetcamelfood; 05-27-2003 at 07:39 PM..
Old 05-27-2003, 08:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Thanks a lot. Just one favor to ask if someone could put in who sings each of these songs, like Green or Weltch etc.
Old 05-27-2003, 09:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Arrow My list...

Any Danny song...but mostly Coming Your Way, Although the Sun is Shining, Like Crying, Woman of a 1000 Years, Sands of Time, Child of Mine, Sunny Side of Heaven, Bare Trees and Dust.

Bob Welch - Future Games, Sentimental Lady and Hypnotized

Peter Green - Oh Well, Green Manalishi, Man of the World Albatross

Christine - Show Me a Smile (LOVE this one!!), Just Crazy Love, Keep on Going, Why (!!!!!!!!)

Now, I haven't heard every single pre-Rumours song, these are just some of my faves of the ones I've heard.
Old 05-28-2003, 05:24 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Here's more:

Peter-Need Your Love So Bad, Stop Messin' Around, Love That Burns, Rattlesnake Shake, Black Magic Woman, I Loved Another Woman

Bob-Emerald Eyes, Forever, Bermuda Triangle, She's Changing Me

Danny-Station Man, Sometimes

Christine-Homeward Bound, Spare Me A Little Of Your Love, Did You Ever Love Me, The Way I Feel, Come A Little Bit Closer, Prove Your Love
Old 06-29-2003, 08:14 PM
Ledgie

"Black Magic Woman". Would you believe there are still tons of people who say Santana wrote that one? I was in the middle of an argument just the other day over that.
"Sentimental Lady" nice choice to refer to a new fan. "Dust" is one of my favorites........"When the white flame in us is gone, and we that lust the worlds daylight, suffer in darkness....." Did I get that right? Those harmonies are haunting. The poem "Grey Day" is so suitable to Bare Trees. My question is why don't more people mention "Then Play On"? My copy is warped.
I'm still looking for the album that has "hypnotized" on it. I can't find it anywhere.
Old 06-29-2003, 08:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally posted by Anthony
[BI'm still looking for the album that has "hypnotized" on it. I can't find it anywhere. [/B]
"Hypnotized" is on "Mystery to me".

John
Old 06-29-2003, 11:43 PM
Junior Ledgie

Actually, it'd be too difficult for me to think of every single song from these line-ups that I like. "Man of the World" is amazing, as is "Black Magic Woman" and, well... pretty much everything that Peter Green had a hand in. Christine's songs from the pre-BN era are, IMHO, better than anything she did post-Heroes. They're blues infused, not soft pop, and oh my God, the emotion in her voice on them, especially on "Why" is just amazing. I would pick them up for her songs alone. Bob Welch's songs, with the exception of most of the ones on Heroes save for Silver Heels, are also excellent, my favorite being that old standard "Semental Lady," though "Hyponitized" isn't far behind.

Ta,
Laura

http://www.angelfire.com/tx3/emeraldeyes
Old 06-30-2003, 02:26 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I'm fairly new to any era of Mac but I noticed some glaring ommisions.

As for Christine "Believe Me" is one of my favorite songs by her. "Just Crazy Love" is also really good but not as good as "BM." If you want to hear Christine trying to sing while she's totally inebriated (at least that's the only excuse I can think for it)check out "Homeward Bound," which is a great song musically but has some unusually terrible vocals and awkward lyrics. I can't believe she let them release this. One interesting thing, after listening to this song, which came out in 1972 I believe, feel lucky for getting as much Christine as you did. "Spare Me A Little" and especially "Heroes Are Hard To Find" are excellent.

As far as Bob Welch "Hypnotised" was probably the best song that I've heard so far that he's done with them. Great drum beat. "Sentimental Lady" is the song that made me buy the Bare Trees album. Also "The Ghost" "Keep On Going (sung by Christine)" and "The City" are really good.

As far as other songs let the people who actually know some stuff about the band reccomend more.
Old 06-30-2003, 11:32 AM
Junior Ledgie

Talking

>>If you want to hear Christine trying to sing while she's totally inebriated (at least that's the only excuse I can think for it)check out "Homeward Bound," which is a great song musically but has some unusually terrible vocals and awkward lyrics. I can't believe she let them release this.

LOL. I never thought about it this way, but yeah... I can see it. Musically it's awesome, but it almost sounds like Chris is just hammering it out to get it over and done with. Not that that bothers me or anything, because quite rankly, a bad Chris song's still better than what almost anyone else can churn out.

Ta,
Laura

http://www.angelfire.com/tx3/emeraldeyes
Old 06-30-2003, 03:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by hildymac
Not that that bothers me or anything, because quite frankly, a bad Chris song's still better than what almost anyone else can churn out.

Ta,
Laura [/B]
I completely agree with you here. But, I still like "Homeward Bound", although I don't think it's nearly as good as "Spare Me A Little" from the same album.
Old 06-30-2003, 04:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by EricBliss12345
If you want to hear Christine trying to sing while she's totally inebriated ...
...just listen to just about ANY song of hers pre-1984!!!

Oh, but "Homeward Bound" live just makes the Bare Trees version pale by comparison.

And, let's all remember about Bare Trees that the original mixdown masters that were being delivered to Reprise were erased at a NY airport security check and they had to remix the album in two days...so they might've used the wrong vocal track for the final version. I would just LOVE to be able to hear the original mixes and compare them with what DID get released.