Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Chit Chat
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 02-13-2008, 05:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Watching Airplanes

One of my hobbies in my spare time that I enjoy is going out to our local international airport and watching the planes take off and land. There is a perfect parking lot(FREE) where people can park and have a view of the planes taking off and landing about 100 feet in front of us. To me its very relaxing. Anyone else enjoy doing this? is it possible at the airport in your area? Am I totally weird for liking this? I've been doing it for about 10 years on and off and I'm so bad now I know the times that the 747's and other really big planes take off and land so I can be there when they do.
Old 02-13-2008, 09:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

When I stayed in Atlanta overnight, I stayed at a hotel directly beside the runways at the Atlanta airport. This hotel marketed the feature of being able to sit on your balcony and watch the planes.

My boyfriend was less than excited about this . . . he is pilot and the last thing he wants to do is look at planes!!

Well, someday when we're older
And my hair is silver gray
Unbraid with all of the love that you have
Like a soft, silver chain . . .
Old 02-13-2008, 09:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidMn View Post
One of my hobbies in my spare time that I enjoy is going out to our local international airport and watching the planes take off and land. There is a perfect parking lot(FREE) where people can park and have a view of the planes taking off and landing about 100 feet in front of us. To me its very relaxing. Anyone else enjoy doing this? is it possible at the airport in your area? Am I totally weird for liking this? I've been doing it for about 10 years on and off and I'm so bad now I know the times that the 747's and other really big planes take off and land so I can be there when they do.
From the time I was a little brat, I always watched commercial aircraft. Whenever I get the chance, I still do. My favorite aircraft of all time is the Boeing 727-200. It wasn't the fastest, it wasn't the biggest, it wasn't the most luxurious. It was merely sublime. The plasticity of its line, set especially against a complementary backdrop, was perfection itself. As a shape & a concatenation of converging points & planes, the 727-200 was as beautifully orchestrated as a Fleetwood Mac song by Buckingham & Caillat, or a Beethoven mid-period (c. 1803-1814) string quartet.

Old 02-13-2008, 09:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I too, always loved commercial planes- the bigger the better. Our international airport (JFK) here in the NY Metro area doesn't afford good views of the take-off or landings- the runways are way out towards Jamaica Bay. But, in New Jersey, one can get great views (while driving, anyway) of the jumbos taking off and landing at Newark. What I'd love, it to be soooo close, and watch those big girls get airborne. So close that the winds from the jets almost knock me over. Maybe out West, somewhere..

I can't wait to see an Airbus A380 in person. It just staggers me...
Old 02-13-2008, 11:05 PM
Registered, No Membership

Quote:
There is a perfect parking lot(FREE) where people can park and have a view of the planes taking off and landing about 100 feet in front of us. To me its very relaxing.

I've been doing it for about 10 years on and off and I'm so bad now I know the times that the 747's and other really big planes take off and land so I can be there when they do.
sounds like someone should be getting a visit from homeland security sometime soon

my dad used to take us to the airport to watch the planes in a very similar kind of spot (free parking right near end of a couple runways) and it really seemed to be something he enjoyed.

I always figured it was because the planes drowned out the sounds of his five kids arguing.
Old 02-14-2008, 12:40 AM
Addicted Ledgie

my nana would take me out on the train to the airport when I was like 5 and we would do that
Old 02-14-2008, 12:56 PM
Ledgie

I love to planespot, too. I used to have a sailboat and I'd sit off the end of the runways at Boston-Logan. They don't encourage that anymore, though. I still get to see all kinds of planes, since my work travel has me in airports frequently. Sometimes I look for different types of planes (Boeing, Airbus, the Russian-built aircraft), and sometimes for different airlines.

I liked the B-722 a lot and they were built to last, but they disappeared form the airlines' fleets because of their one major flaw. They were the least fuel-efficient plane per seat-mile ever built. Even if retro-fitted with modern engines.

Saw the A380 a couple months ago at Paris-CDG. HUGE! I was in an A330 and I had to look way up to see anything other than it's landing gear. Size aside, I don't think it's a particularly interesting-looking plane.

Planespotting is a fairly popular hobby for people all over the world. I know of someone traveling this spring from Eastern Europe to LA so he can see aircraft from the Pacific Rim airlines.

If you're not already aware, there are many websites out there for on-line plane watching. The best is probably airliners.net. I believe they have photos of every commercially registered plane in the world. A lot of photos of old and historic aircraft as well. Also interior shots of seating, cockpits, etc.

If you like the beach, there's one in St. Maarten that's great for planespotting. http://www.airliners.net/photo/KLM--...0959947&size=L

Last edited by Chilly Willy; 02-14-2008 at 01:22 PM..
Old 02-14-2008, 08:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I saw on youtube today theres someplace in the virgin islands where the plane literally is like 20 feet over spectators heads as it comes in for a linding/ Now thats even a little too close for my tastes!
Old 02-15-2008, 10:28 AM
Addicted Ledgie

My significant other is an aircraft mechaninc. Now, he works on general aviation (Cessna, Beechcraft, etc.), but our property butts up against the county airport and when aircraft use runway 1-6 for landing, they fly right over our house. YOu would think it would be a bother, but it's really not. I have absorbed a lot of info on aircraft over the years and really love seeing them up close. We usually try to do 2 things on vacations: visit an air museum (for him) and a bookstore or library (for me). I have been photographed next to 3 different SR-71 aircraft (my favorite)

The other great thing about where we live: When we go vacation with my uncle who owns an airplane, he flies in, and taxis the aircraft right to our front door. I literally walk out of my house with luggage and board an aircraft. It's soooooo E! True Hollywood Story...
Old 02-15-2008, 09:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Thumbs up you must enjoy AIRLINERS.NET

Quote:
Originally Posted by petep9000 View Post
I too, always loved commercial planes- ...

I can't wait to see an Airbus A380 in person. It just staggers me...
Crazy about commercial planes like me?? Then you must enjoy this website. It has LOT of cool pictures

http://www.airliners.net/
Old 02-15-2008, 09:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I like to be on a plane. Flying... far... far... away.
Old 02-15-2008, 10:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by danax6 View Post
I like to be on a plane. Flying... far... far... away.
There are lots of Ledgies in California. It's a long flight, but what the , right? We could all get together & go to a concert -- perhaps a symphony or an oratorio or even a celebrated cellist.
Old 02-15-2008, 10:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
There are lots of Ledgies in California. It's a long flight, but what the , right? We could all get together & go to a concert -- perhaps a symphony or an oratorio or even a celebrated cellist.
or...perhaps not.

besides. what's wrong with kentucky? it's nice!! we can all meet here

vanessa-you better get your flight pants on to head to london in 6 weeks
Old 02-15-2008, 11:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I saw on youtube today theres someplace in the virgin islands where the plane literally is like 20 feet over spectators heads as it comes in for a linding/ Now thats even a little too close for my tastes!
That would be the Airport at St Maarten. Airport code SMX or SXM Not quite sure....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villavic View Post
Crazy about commercial planes like me?? Then you must enjoy this website. It has LOT of cool pictures

http://www.airliners.net/
I have visited this side everyday for the past 3 years and I always find something different.

I love to plane spot as well. I lived by the airport in Wichita and I always saw planes. Nothing big though. Although, I did get to see the Airbus A380 when it did a special Wichita flyover. THAT BIRD IS HUGE!
I am traveling from Maine to DC in 3 weeks and on of the highlights is going to be being on the Jersey turnpike passin right by Newerk in the busy morning hours. Yea, I'll probably cause a traffic accident or have someone else drive. LOL