Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Chit Chat
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 02-12-2008, 08:15 AM
Supporting Ledgie

Angry What would you do?

Ok...so some of you may know I bought a Rick Turner Model 1 guitar from well, Rick Turner, back in June of last year.

There were some "problems" with the guitar. Mostly cosmetic stuff to be honest. But, at 4k, i dont feel bad about sending it back.

There was email and phone contact between RIck and I, and his asst. Barry. They offered their apologies and said it would be easier for them to just make me a new one. They projected it would be done around early to mid Sept (of last year). ALL email and phone contact between them and I has ceased. They completely ignore me. I mean, I'm a nice guy. I've been patient, sometimes allowing 3-4 weeks between email contact.

I went as far as to contact Better Business Bureau about them. They received no contact from Renaissance Guitar (Turner's company). I even called them and left them a message and said "I dont know whats going on with you guys since I receive no contact when I call or email. maybe you're having some life changing issues...maybe you'd just rather wash your hands of this whole thing and refund the money. Just let me know."

BBB has advised me to seek legal counsel. I dont want to do that. I'm not the kind of person to sue at the drop of a hat. This is just silly.

The main reason I'm pissed is because I wanted to play this guitar, with the band, at my upcoming wedding. I've now less than 4 weeks and still no guitar.
Old 02-12-2008, 08:37 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I'd take the BBB's advice, you've certainly given Rick Turner long enough to do the job and if they're not replying to any of your emails or phone calls I can't see what else you can do other than turn up at his door and demand your guitar.
You shouldn't feel bad about it, they're the ones in the wrong here.
Old 02-12-2008, 08:48 AM
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackaghost View Post
I'd take the BBB's advice, you've certainly given Rick Turner long enough to do the job and if they're not replying to any of your emails or phone calls I can't see what else you can do other than turn up at his door and demand your guitar.
Yeah it just seems a real odd thing to do. The guy has been in business for a long time. BBB had no complaints on him. I'm not crazy...I've given them enough time. The avg. turn around time per guitar is about 3-4 months. I paid them back in June of last year! So this whole thing has been going on for a good 8 months. And no contact since Sept 12 of last year. It's just puzzling.
Old 02-12-2008, 09:14 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackaghost View Post
I agree.

most times, you can get an attorney to send a letter and that's enough to spark a fire under someone's ass.
Old 02-12-2008, 06:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mylittledemon View Post
Yeah it just seems a real odd thing to do. The guy has been in business for a long time. BBB had no complaints on him. I'm not crazy...I've given them enough time. The avg. turn around time per guitar is about 3-4 months. I paid them back in June of last year! So this whole thing has been going on for a good 8 months. And no contact since Sept 12 of last year. It's just puzzling.
Maybe he has a legitimate reason as to why it's taken so long, but he has so excuse whatsoever, imo, not to let you know what's going on. To not contact you or reply to your emails or phone calls since September is disgraceful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazmenFlowers View Post
I agree.

most times, you can get an attorney to send a letter and that's enough to spark a fire under someone's ass.
Exactly!
Old 02-12-2008, 10:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Justin had the same problem with them. Well similar, it took a very long time for him to get his guitar back after an issue with it. If you haven't heard back from them since Sept I would call a lawyer. I think part of the issue is not having enough staff but come on, you can't leave people hanging like that.
Old 02-14-2008, 12:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Hi Brandon, sorry its taken a while to reply. I don't post or come here anymore so its thanks to Suzy and her email that alerted me to this.

I don't want to sound negative at all and I'm sure it will be sorted out. From a luthiery point of view Rick builds very revolutionary instruments using top grade parts. From a business point of view its very unprofessional. I have owned 3 Model 1's in the past 4 years.

The first one came with a split where the body and neck joint is, I'm sure this was due to either expansion/contraction of the maple or mahogany in transit to the UK (It was sat in a cold UPS warehouse over Xmas 2003) or it was due to a knock in shipping. Ricks response was "most of them do this". Which wasn't what I was looking for as an answer when I handed him $5200 up front. Then he changed his argument to it being done by me which was not the case at all. Then I noticed the pickup was microphonic at higher gain levels too. His response was to tell me to turn the trim pot settings down inside the guitar, I did this but it changed nothing. A microphonic pickup is usually caused by air pockets in the coils. Rick dips his in epoxy which is not the best method from all accounts (I've studied this area when I was thinking of legal action). Eventually Rick agreed to send out a new pickup through his UK distributor, Ian Morton, who is a great guy and very professional and accomodating. It took a YEAR to arrive from first contact over the problem.

So the pickup was changed and the problem still occured. Again I had it expertly looked at and it was another faulty pickup. This combined with the split neck really made me pissed so I voiced my dissatisfaction and Ian offered a replacement.

He sent me the replacement up and the finishing was really bad. The "faux" soundhole was poorly cut and the guitar was delaminating at the headstock so I kept the original one.

Ian agreed to replace it again and eventually a new one arrived in February 2007. This one worked perfectly and was much better made but I really had enough of the hassle by this point. It had different control knobs to the ones i requested as well. Ian contacted Rick and the 4 replacement knobs were dispatched. When they arrived only 3 worked and one had the thread stripped and was unusable. I think that was the point I finally gave up. I fitted some really nice ebony knobs to match the ebony tuners and if anybody wants a bargain its for sale at £1995, never gigged. UK list price is £3095. Go to soundsgreatmusic.com to check it out in the secondhand section...

I can't really play that Model 1 for two reasons. Firstly I'm really a Strat player at heart and the neck is too "Gibson" for my liking. Secondly the guitar reminds me of the whole caper and I really don't want to think about the fact it took 4 YEARS to sort it out and even then Rick and Barry couldn't get it right.

I've heard many stories of Rick being friendly and great when you order. But if there is a problem he goes silent. One guy on Ricks forum waited over 2 years to get a split neck repaired (I recall the forum closed after a few customers voiced their concerns over his service). I remember advising you not to send it back last year unless you really couldn't live with the issues (the tuners and the neck size if I recall?) because Rick takes a long time, and I mean years, to sort it out and I'm really sorry this has happened to you Brandon.

PM or email Seteca for advice. He nearly came to legal blows with Rick over his Model 1 over something Rick promised and wouldn't deliver on and as I recall he contacted the BBB too but its not for me to post it here.. He may even still have Rick's private email, home and cellphone numbers at hand.

Good luck Brandon. Remember Rick is in his mid 60's now. He devotes a lot of time to his D-TAR brand and I get the feeling he is a luthier and really doesn't like having to deal with the business side of things.

You may have to issue a few legal letters in his direction but you will get his attention, its just unfortunate this is the only way you will.

My very best of luck in resolving this.

Justin.

Last edited by madformac; 02-14-2008 at 12:46 PM..
Old 02-15-2008, 07:43 AM
Supporting Ledgie

Justin,

So I contacted a lawyer who offered to write a letter for free...short of filing an actual small claims suit.

But...yesterday at the end of the night...lo' and behold...Barry emailed me!!! After nearly 6 months with no contact. He totally took responsibility for the problem and apologized. He said if I could give Rick and he a 2nd chance, they'd build the best guitar for me...and I wouldnt be disappointed!
Old 02-15-2008, 10:39 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

^^^i hope it all wrks out for you!!!~
Old 02-15-2008, 01:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Justin,

So I contacted a lawyer who offered to write a letter for free...short of filing an actual small claims suit.

But...yesterday at the end of the night...lo' and behold...Barry emailed me!!! After nearly 6 months with no contact. He totally took responsibility for the problem and apologized. He said if I could give Rick and he a 2nd chance, they'd build the best guitar for me...and I wouldnt be disappointed!
Coincidence?

I don't believe in them.. Somebody gave Barry or Rick a heads up on this, more than likely a Turner player on the boards...

Whatever the theory or reason its great news. I hope they sort it out finally. I've actually heard Barry is a nice guy and far more accomodating with customer service than his employer. Just make sure you document all correspondance. Calls, emails dates etc. Doesn't hurt to have a backup plan.

Fingers crossed you get your dream guitar!

Take care,

J.
Old 02-15-2008, 05:00 PM
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by madformac View Post
Coincidence?

I don't believe in them.. Somebody gave Barry or Rick a heads up on this, more than likely a Turner player on the boards...

Whatever the theory or reason its great news. I hope they sort it out finally. I've actually heard Barry is a nice guy and far more accomodating with customer service than his employer. Just make sure you document all correspondance. Calls, emails dates etc. Doesn't hurt to have a backup plan.

Fingers crossed you get your dream guitar!

Take care,

J.

haha...well kudos to "whoever" may have helped, if that was the case. I really believe RIck and Barry are both nice guys, and well intended. for whatever reason we got out of contact, they ignored me, and they have apologized. Apology accepted so thats cool.

I still have all the emails and everything I was prepared to send to the lawyer. Just in case...