The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Chit Chat
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 02-07-2008, 05:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I picked it up on a whim yesterday at Costco- it was only $10.99. Still haven't opened it. I'm not exactly excited, even though I used to be a huge Sheryl Crow fan. For me, I think Sheryl "jumped the shark" when she released the best-of collection and did that cornball duet with Kid Rock. And those other new tracks on that collection were just so shamelessly commercial... And when Wildfire was such a huge disappointment, I just kinda gave up on her.

Anyway, I am encouraged by some of the reviews that I've read about the new album, so I am hoping that I can get some of that old Sheryl love back. So far I've only heard "Shine Over Babylon" on the radio, which, at first, I thought was some new singer/songwriter "chick" artist (e.g., Amanda Marshall) doing a dead-on Sheryl impersonation. I guess I wasn't expecting a new Sheryl song that sounded like the old Sheryl.
Old 02-07-2008, 07:44 PM
Senior Ledgie

I'm in the middle of writing a review of Detours for my local newspaper, and I felt the need to respond. I have been a fan of Sheryl for 15 years, and even had the opportunity of meeting her once a few years ago. On Detours, Sheryl is going back to her roots. Her themes throughout the album of love, peace, hope, and freedom are an awakening for her. Her fearlessness and raw emotion shine brightly through every track. She makes seamless transitions between tracks on subjects such as the war, global warming, love lost, love found, and cancer.

I highly recommend giving it a listen. For once, the critics are dead-on. This is her best album since 1998's The Globe Sessions, quite possibly the best of her career.

I look forward to hearing these tracks live this summer when I see her on tour. I can't wait!

Jackie
Old 02-09-2008, 11:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I'm really not a huge fan of hers, but I thought I'd give her a go. I really like the album! Especially love the first 6 songs! Very fun, great lyrics, and I'm ready to hear it again.

"Reality leaves a lot to the imagination." ~ JL
Old 02-13-2008, 03:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

I too am a big Sheryl fan... have all her albums. But I haven't bought "Detours" yet. I was going to buy it the day it came out, but then I heard "Shine Over Babylon," and it turned me off. I've heard some of the other tracks from "Detours" here and there, and I honestly can't say I care for any of them. I'm sure I'll still go pick it up at some point, but for me she can't top what she's already released (most notably her self titled album and The Globe Sessions).

I don't get people's criticism of "Wildflower"... that's one of my favorite albums of all time. It's the 'going back to simple roots' album she needed so badly after "C'mon C'mon," with it's over production and superstar guest on every track. "C'mon C'mon" was just over the top, too commercial, and felt empty to me. "Wildflower" really seems to have come from the heart IMO, like it's the album she did HER way for HERSELF. It's such a great mood album... my favorite album to listen to while I'm driving through the mountains in the fall with the top down on my convertible .
Old 02-16-2008, 05:22 AM
Addicted Ledgie

she's in the uk at the moment promoting the CD (was on "this morning" yesterday actually).looked great..but when does she never!!! and spoke at length about her breast cancer and Wyatt...really interesting. I see she's also due to play here in June at the "Rock Calling" concerts in Hyde park along with Eric clapton and co....would love to go...