Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Chit Chat
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 02-05-2008, 03:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default I've been diagnosed with bi-polar disorder

Ok, I know at times my behavior here has been unusual to downright rude at times, and I recently discovered what I think may be the cause. My mood swings relating to depression have been getting worse, me flipping out of friends, (friends I've subsequently lost) and I finally decided that enough was enough. I went and got tested by mental health professionals and have discovered I have Bi-Polar disorder. I know, that probably freaks some people out, but I wanted to talk about it because when the doctors told me, I was really freaked out, like I'd found out I have cancer or something like that. I mean I know some people think that people dealing with this are completely nuts and belong in a padded room 24/7. But I wanted to get some input from people here that might know someone or have a loved one dealing with this so I can understand it better. I want to make it clear that I AM NOT ASKING FOR PEOPLE TO FEEL SORRY FOR ME. I just want to get a handle on this so I can stop treating people the way I do sometimes.

Thank you for listening,
David
Old 02-05-2008, 04:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Bi-polar disorder is something that really is disturbing in one's life, but no cancer sweety. Be happy with it. It's something one can live with and work with, so it gets more "controlable", maybe with some relatively harmless medication, I bet you can handle this. On the other hand, without the disorder you possibly wouldn't have gotten on the obsessive FM/LB-high that brought you to more liveshows and artist-contacts any other fan dream of.

I don't want to ridicule it, david, it's a bitter pill to take, but please look at it in perspective.

Old 02-05-2008, 04:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I found this info for you in a google search:

http://psychcentral.com/disorders/bi...ipolar_faq.htm

I thought you already knew you had this disorder. You've been open about your mental health issues in the past, so I assumed you had been diagnosed already. Anyway, a combination of therapy & meds along with lifestyle changes like diet/exercise/positive thinking/relaxation techniques are often very effective. In my experience, there's no 1 thing that will magically cure bipolar, it's something you need to work on for the rest of your life. And Gerald's right - it's not the best news, but it's not the end of the world. It sure does explain your overspending & obsessive need to see all those shows that you've talked about in the past. It's definitely treatable & manageable - now that you have an actual name for it, you can learn how to deal with it. Good luck to you.

Last edited by skcin; 02-05-2008 at 04:07 PM..
Old 02-05-2008, 04:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by skcin View Post
I found this info for you in a google search:

http://psychcentral.com/disorders/bi...ipolar_faq.htm

I thought you already knew you had this disorder. You've been open about your mental health issues in the past, so I assumed you had been diagnosed already. Anyway, a combination of therapy & meds along with lifestyle changes like diet/exercise/positive thinking/relaxation techniques are often very effective. In my experience, there's no 1 thing that will magically cure bipolar, it's something you need to work on for the rest of your life. And Gerald's right - it's not the best news, but it's not the end of the world. It sure does explain your overspending & obsessive need to see all those shows that you've talked about in the past. It's definitely treatable & manageable - now that you have an actual name for it, you can learn how to deal with it. Good luck to you.
Well, I had never been diagnosed before, but I had always wondered because of the depression and the mood swings. BTW thank you for that link!

Last edited by DavidMn; 02-05-2008 at 05:14 PM..
Old 02-05-2008, 04:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by shackin'up View Post
Bi-polar disorder is something that really is disturbing in one's life, but no cancer sweety. Be happy with it. It's something one can live with and work with, so it gets more "controlable", maybe with some relatively harmless medication, I bet you can handle this. On the other hand, without the disorder you possibly wouldn't have gotten on the obsessive FM/LB-high that brought you to more liveshows and artist-contacts any other fan dream of.

I don't want to ridicule it, david, it's a bitter pill to take, but please look at it in perspective.
You know, I dont take it that way at all Gerald. I sincerely appreciate what you have to say, thank you for your input.
Old 02-05-2008, 04:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

One of the most fascinating case studies I've ever read was in a book by I think Ron Fieve. The patient, during an unmonitored mania, put himself on an airplane to continental Europe (pre-1989), booked himself into a luxury hotel, & began to "plan" to reunite the two divided Germanys in a massive implosion of utopian ideation & sexual joy.

Two or three weeks later, he was located by authorities in an East German jail, babbling incoherently, his super-ego having attenuated as his id expanded beyond all recognition into a florid psychosis.

It's a fascinating illness, without a doubt.

Best wishes to you, Dave. This is an extreme example, so be not upset. If there's anything I can do to help, let me know.
Old 02-05-2008, 05:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I suffer from it. It's real uncomfortable, and I've done my share of alienating people when I'm in one of the opposing poles to my depression. But, meds and therapy help. I'm bipolar 'mixed', my moods cycle rapidly in the course of a day. But then, the whole mess goes dormant and I could be fine for months...years, etc. I never get the extreme mania to the point that I'm delusional or unreasonable and not able to sleep for days (see, Spears), but instead it manifests itself as aggression. I can get 'set off' when I'm cycling and then I'm a mess. At one point, there were 4 web boards that I was banned or nearly banned from because I got so aggressive- and that's just the internet! In real life, I came real close to losing my job.

I find that avoiding 'Beautiful Child' during a depressed mood helps alot.

You'll be alright..
Old 02-05-2008, 05:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by petep9000 View Post
I suffer from it. It's real uncomfortable, and I've done my share of alienating people when I'm in one of the opposing poles to my depression. But, meds and therapy help. I'm bipolar 'mixed', my moods cycle rapidly in the course of a day. But then, the whole mess goes dormant and I could be fine for months...years, etc. I never get the extreme mania to the point that I'm delusional or unreasonable and not able to sleep for days (see, Spears), but instead it manifests itself as aggression. I can get 'set off' when I'm cycling and then I'm a mess. At one point, there were 4 web boards that I was banned or nearly banned from because I got so aggressive- and that's just the internet! In real life, I came real close to losing my job.

I find that avoiding 'Beautiful Child' during a depressed mood helps alot.

You'll be alright..
The worst part for me is the flipping out on friends for no reason it seems. I mean, the more I think about it, I wouldnt wanna be around me if I acted like that.
Old 02-05-2008, 05:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidMn View Post
Ok, I know at times my behavior here has been unusual to downright rude at times, and I recently discovered what I think may be the cause. My mood swings relating to depression have been getting worse, me flipping out of friends, (friends I've subsequently lost) and I finally decided that enough was enough. I went and got tested by mental health professionals and have discovered I have Bi-Polar disorder. I know, that probably freaks some people out, but I wanted to talk about it because when the doctors told me, I was really freaked out, like I'd found out I have cancer or something like that. I mean I know some people think that people dealing with this are completely nuts and belong in a padded room 24/7. But I wanted to get some input from people here that might know someone or have a loved one dealing with this so I can understand it better. I want to make it clear that I AM NOT ASKING FOR PEOPLE TO FEEL SORRY FOR ME. I just want to get a handle on this so I can stop treating people the way I do sometimes.

Thank you for listening,
David
Honestly, David, your attitude is totally refreshing. No bull, just the facts, and I think maybe because you are being REAL about it, it will make it easier for others to be just as honest about and to consider. God bless you as you work on this illness. It's as real as the flu, and probably just as draining and frustrating for you.
Old 02-05-2008, 05:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by shackin'up View Post

But you know whats funny about the FM/LB obsession thing? I mean I knew back in the day that If I was ever lucky enough to come into contact with any of the band members I felt I would act in a civil polite manner. It's like the focus has ALWAYS been on the music for me. THe whole meeting the people in the band thing I've always taken as a bonus, NEVER as some kind of right I may or may not have because of how many concerts I've seen. That's how I find that balance I think.
Old 02-05-2008, 05:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
draining and frustrating
You have no idea! It was a leading cause of the breakup with my partner Derek. Yes, he had issues too, but when I think about it, my behavior at times in no way halped the situation.
Old 02-05-2008, 05:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

my natural mother is bi-polar, but will do nothing about it~ she has alienated everyone dear to her including me except for my brother, since she is somewhat well-off & she spends excessively on him~ so that tends to help him turn the other cheek~ i wish you the best w/ this david~ it isn't the easiest thing to deal w/, but w/ motivation & strength you'll be fine~
Old 02-05-2008, 05:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Hang in there David...I have some 'similar sympthoms' starting to rear their heads due to that pesty tumor in my nogging (Most suck ass but 'musical hallucination' is killer diller!!!)

"To acknowledge death is to accept freedom and responsibility."

"Fleetwood Mac and its fans remind me of a toilet plunger...keep bringing up old sh*t..."
Old 02-05-2008, 05:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidMn View Post
THe whole meeting the people in the band thing I've always taken as a bonus, NEVER as some kind of right I may or may not have because of how many concerts I've seen. That's how I find that balance I think.

Oh I'm sure David, that that mindset is THE ONLY way to succeed in meeting legends: If you want it too much, it nearly ever happens. Your "natural" approach has helped you in that, I'm sure. But look at it that way: it's a quality you've got "in spite of" , or maybe even "thanks to" your disorder.

Old 02-05-2008, 06:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I'm no expert, but I'm guessing that a diagnosis like this is a step along the way to learning to live with your moods, and a bit of confirmation that you were right in your suspicions. It's confirmation that you weren't going crazy. Hopefully you can use it as a foundation for figuring out the best way to handle it - surely knowing what the problem is and being willing to learn about it are great ways towards dealing with it. As people have said, no-one's going to magically fix it for you, but being able to label it will help you to fight it. Good luck, dude