Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 11-29-2004, 07:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Question Buckingham Nicks Sales?

How many copies has the Buckingham Nicks album sold, both in its first release and the reissue after they joined the Mac?

I looked through all those Mac album sales threads (and the solo album tallies), but that album is never listed on those messages people get back from the Billboard guy...

I know it was pre-SoundScan, but if there isn't a sales figure, do we even know how many copies were pressed both times around? Surely all those copies have sold by now.

Just a question that popped into my head over the weekend. Dunno why.
Old 11-30-2004, 09:08 AM
Senior Ledgie

I've often wondered this myself. I live in Birmingham, where the record was a huge hit, and I remember as a kid being kinda mystified when people talked about this being a rarity. I used to see it everywhere.

Still, it's pretty easy to find in used record stores in the Birmingham/Atlanta areas. eBay has made it fairly ubiquitous, too.

~Jamie
Old 11-30-2004, 06:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieSPC
I've often wondered this myself. I live in Birmingham, where the record was a huge hit, and I remember as a kid being kinda mystified when people talked about this being a rarity. I used to see it everywhere.

Still, it's pretty easy to find in used record stores in the Birmingham/Atlanta areas. eBay has made it fairly ubiquitous, too.

~Jamie
I still see it everywhere -- every used/collectible record shop I enter, it's always there!

Aw cummon - no one knows the answer to this, or even has a guess? Has someone finally stumped all of you?
Old 11-30-2004, 06:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Fighting foh the Nohthun Stah...NO SPEED LIMIT! BITCH! THIS IS THE FAST LANE!!!

But how would they track that? I got my CD in a store, but it was (I later realized) just a burned copy with a sticker slapped on, and reproduced cover...I mean, it hasn't really been released, hardly, right?
Old 11-30-2004, 06:49 PM
Supporting Ledgie

Well it's logical to assume that it sold out. However many copies were initially printed have all since been sold. I don't think it ever went gold, however.
Old 11-30-2004, 10:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by amber
But how would they track that? I got my CD in a store, but it was (I later realized) just a burned copy with a sticker slapped on, and reproduced cover...I mean, it hasn't really been released, hardly, right?
I'm not really sure how they tracked it in the '70s, when it was officially released. It obviously didn't sell in its first pressing with Polydor, else they wouldn't have been dropped. But I imagine it sold decently when they reissued it once S&L joined FM.

Given their popularity at the time, I can't imagine Warner re-releasing the album without pressing a few hundred thousand copies. And I'm guessing the first pressing numbered in the thousands.

The figures have to be somewhere. It's the music BUSINESS after all.
Old 12-01-2004, 01:08 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Fighting foh the Nohthun Stah...NO SPEED LIMIT! BITCH! THIS IS THE FAST LANE!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nixxxed
I'm not really sure how they tracked it in the '70s, when it was officially released. It obviously didn't sell in its first pressing with Polydor, else they wouldn't have been dropped. But I imagine it sold decently when they reissued it once S&L joined FM.

Given their popularity at the time, I can't imagine Warner re-releasing the album without pressing a few hundred thousand copies. And I'm guessing the first pressing numbered in the thousands.

The figures have to be somewhere. It's the music BUSINESS after all.
In my usual way, i didn't know it had been released again. which year?
Old 12-01-2004, 09:06 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by amber
In my usual way, i didn't know it had been released again. which year?
I'm not sure of the exact year, but I believe it was sometime in the late 70's. Marty? Stew?

Paula
Old 12-01-2004, 10:26 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Finland, the country where polar bears walk on the streets singing "Silver Girl"

Quote:
Originally Posted by skcin
I'm not sure of the exact year, but I believe it was sometime in the late 70's. Marty? Stew?
It was 1976 or 1977, as I recall. Here in Europe the album was reissued in 1982 as a single fold, supposedly rarer than the original gatefold.

^ - "a selfindulged, but funny butthead of a Fin" - Shackin'up
Old 12-02-2004, 01:20 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I know of Three U.S. versions issued. Gatefold Large print, Gatefold small print and nongatefold reissue (After they joined). Couldn't tell you significance or issue amount of each though. Other than the Australian cover variation, all other countries seem to be just "made in" *country* on the label.

Watching the drama of the Ledge since 2001.
Old 12-02-2004, 03:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by seeker007nmss
I know of Three U.S. versions issued. Gatefold Large print, Gatefold small print and nongatefold reissue (After they joined). Couldn't tell you significance or issue amount of each though. Other than the Australian cover variation, all other countries seem to be just "made in" *country* on the label.
Yep, those are the LP versions. I've also seen two US cassette versions from the reissue in 1976, one with printed credits and one with just a simple paper insert listing only the song titles (neither have the lyrics or any other pics). I've never seen an 8-track version, but that's not to say they didn't make up a few of those too.

I dug back through the sales threads and fired off an e-mail to the Billboard guy. When/if he replies, I'll post his response.
Old 12-02-2004, 05:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nixxxed
I've never seen an 8-track version, but that's not to say they didn't make up a few of those too.

Yup there is an 8-track of it also.

Watching the drama of the Ledge since 2001.