User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 12-08-2008, 01:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicepace View Post
If they all got on a plane and went to her, and put her nephew in charge with instructions to keep a strict eye on the clock, they could crank out a couple of numbers for a new record with Christine without her even having to change out of her pyjamas.

It wouldn't even take all of them to go. Just Lindsey. Although Mick would probably come anyway.

All they have to do is take some songs that they want her to play and sing on and then pick a couple of her new songs to work on. Lindsey (and Mick) then take them back to L.A. and Bob's your Uncle! She even really have to have more than a couple of new songs on the album and they wouldn't get their knickers in a twist about her writing a "hit" and people expecting it to be played because as I understand it the album will probably be after the "Lounge" tour

Gail
Old 12-08-2008, 03:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gailh View Post
It wouldn't even take all of them to go. Just Lindsey. Although Mick would probably come anyway.

Gail
Yeah, Mick is good because he has some fun creative ideas and he also cements people together. So, in case there were any arguments, he needs to be there. But you could leave those other 2 at home.

This is my dream -- and I dream in quintet, not stereo.

Michele
Old 12-08-2008, 07:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post

Christine was a musician vs an entertainer... which quite often contrasted the other two in my opinion.
Interesting way of putting it. This is why in my thinking Chris was the heart of that band ... the absolute center. She kept the band grounded. You know the picture on the inside of 'Tusk' where Stevie and Lindsey are floating around up by the ceiling of a room, and Chris and John are standing on the floor with bemused looks on their faces ... that picture tells a lot about their characters and relationships with one another.

Quote:
I really enjoyed In The Meantime and also thought Gift of Screws was solid..
I haven't actually heard 'Gift of Screws.' I lost interest in both Lindsey's and Stevie's solo stuff after the first couple of records.

Quote:

As far as buying into this "Unleashed tour" not going to happen for me... The same songs just keep getting worse... and the price just keeps getting worse...
I agree. I go to a lot of concerts but my tastes tend to run to lesser-known performers from the indie world, where typically you can buy a ticket for $25 and if you get there early you can sit in the front row. If this were FM with Christine I'd spend the two hundred bucks or whatever it is, but not for the band as it is today. I wonder how ticket sales are going to go, actually, with people hurting financially the way they are.

By the way, what exactly is being "unleashed" ... it looks to me like it's a same old thing tour. How can they possible claim it's a greatest hits tour when they're not going to perform "Over My Head," "Hold Me," "Say You Love Me" and all of Christine's other hits.
Old 12-08-2008, 08:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Now for me, I don't think Chris was the heart of the band. I think, overall, Mick is. He wasn't a great manager, but I think he's a great mediator and can bring and keep divergent personalities together. As greedy as he is, he has an ego that subverts itself for the good of the band most of the time. As long as you don't sleep with Jenny . . .

But Stevie has said that Christine was like the school teacher and without her, they were just running around like little children, waiting to be called in from recess. I believe that. When we hear demos and things, you can clearly hear Chris orchestrating their rehearsals. I suppose I would call her a "center" of sorts.

I do think she tethered the other two, by being in between them. Someone each of them could play off of, rather than battling each other. I think that was true from 1975 on. I think she stopped a lot of friction, just being another person they could couple with.

One moment that stuck with me from the Dance tour was when Lindsey was announcing the wrong song and Stevie didn't say anything to him. She went to Christine and whispered to her and then, from her piano, Christine called to Lindsey that he was introducing the wrong song. It was a very small thing, but I think it was symbolic of the way the 3 of them communicated. With Christine there, Lindsey and Stevie didn't have to deal directly with each other.

Then, musically, I do think it's uncanny the way Christine and Lindsey were so different, her trained, him untrained, yet they could arrive at such a good and unique place together. That collaboration. You can have a dinner with broccolli, steak and apple pie and you might not salivate over the steak, unless someone serves you just a plate with broccolli and pie, or pie and steak. Only then do you realize you don't have a full meal. That's how the 3 of them balanced each other for me.

Michele
Old 12-08-2008, 11:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

very wel put Michelle, and I just looooove the Christine story, I can't get emough of mama Christine
Old 12-09-2008, 01:05 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulpian View Post
This new 2009 'Hits' thing sounds rather horrendous, doesn't it? I mean, without Christine, and pretending they can do the hits without her.

Much as I'd love to have seen the Mac live with Christine as part of it, I am really quite glad that she stopped when she did. The majority of those remaining band members, I feel, really have lost a good deal of their stage presence: Lindsey lost his vocal range some time ago, and Stevie on the SYW tour was not particularly great. Mick, equally, I just felt sorry for when he was doing his 'drum solo'.

So, I welcome a possible new album, and thank goodness Christine knew when to quit. A very British trait, I feel

But it does rather annoy me that now they're marketing this nonsense next year as some sort of Dream Greatest Hits Tour when it cannot possibly be. And anyway, they do it every tour. As someone sagely observed here, they're in danger of becoming The Eagles: the very epitome of profit-before-ethics.
Regarding this upcoming tour: You so eloquently expressed my feelings exactly. I was conflicted when I heard about them touring again -- happy to have the chance to see them again - but skeptical about the "HITS" theme (as if they never ever do any of their hits !??). And while they do have enough hit songs outside of Christine's songs, she has the most consistent string of well-known hits.

It definately smells like Eagle poop! They don't realize it, but it's a big middle finger to their real long-time fans. How about giving us something new to get engaged/inspired by-- something other than regurgitating the vomit of their redundancy for the sake of enlarging their retirement funds???

This seems to be the theme among artists who get to a certain stage in a long career. When Elton John did a live HITs album not too long ago I almost wanted to gag...but of course I bought it...and only gagged for a little while, then got over it. Still, the blatent "cash-in" is hard to ignore from Stevie and Fleetwood Mac as of lately. Lindsey, though complicit, is the stand-out member for actually being a productive artist; making some new, innovative music and performing impassioned shows in which the focus is on artistry, and not a merely a visit to an ATM.

Last edited by PenguinHead; 12-09-2008 at 01:38 AM..
Old 12-09-2008, 09:26 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Look, I'd love to seen them finally live, but I don't understand the whole thing. Why not release a box set now & a new album next year?

I'm quite sure that they will never be best friends. You might ask, "what does that have to do with his first part of this post?", but to me that's the reason why they do this.
Old 12-09-2008, 12:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey Jr. View Post
I'm quite sure that they will never be best friends. You might ask, "what does that have to do with his first part of this post?", but to me that's the reason why they do this.
I am sure that the reason we aren't getting new material right now is because of band relations. I don't know if we could have had an entire album anyway, but there could have been a few songs, if not for inner friction. Some of them are hoping that the tour goes well enough that they will be comfy enough to record new music later, since not now.

However, Christine is the answer to that problem too. If Stevie doesn't want to record with Lindsey now, she would definitely record if Christine was going to be on the tracks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinHead View Post
They don't realize it, but it's a big middle finger to their real long-time fans.
Why don't they realize it though? That's the question. Actually, they don't even seem to acknowledge the focused fans much, except when Stevie said it was the hard core fans stealing her music. For the most part, when they talk about their concert goers, they seem to have the casual fans in mind.

Yet, Mick just got off of a solo tour. Who exactly does he think was going out to see him perform? It wasn't the people who only know the FM "hits." They know the focused fans are out there. I guess there are just so few of us, that we don't have enough money to make them care. Michele
Old 12-09-2008, 01:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
I am sure that the reason we aren't getting new material right now is because of band relations. I don't know if we could have had an entire album anyway, but there could have been a few songs, if not for inner friction.
They should just release an EP

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 12-09-2008, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
Wow a term I hadn't heard in a while....

Steve what's your favorite EP?
Old 12-09-2008, 07:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Wow a term I hadn't heard in a while....

Steve what's your favorite EP?
Guided by Voices: Hold On Hope EP

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 12-10-2008, 12:05 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
An EP? That is way too innovative for Fleetwood Mac!!
Old 12-10-2008, 12:22 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I honestly feel that Christine did not artistically dig the sensation of recording with Fleetwood Mac anymore.

As far as buying into this "Unleashed tour" not going to happen for me... The same songs just keep getting worse... and the price just keeps getting worse...their need to drive a grand institution into the ground just keeps getting worse... and my need to see them well... .it's just fading away....
I believe the situation wasn't that Christine didn't want to record with Fleetwood Mac, it's that she didn't want to be committed to all the obligations that come with it - the PR, months away from home on tour, the whole scene. She was tired and done with the rock and roll lifestyle and ready for a different, more placid change of pace.
But I share your thoughts completely about this nonsense called "Unleashed" The name itself is so dubious, cliched and over-reaching. That said, I will probably see a show, but with full knowledge of them milking a dying cow. Who knows, maybe will penguins fly and they actually create an inspired, fresh approach and arrangement to their set.

Last edited by PenguinHead; 12-10-2008 at 12:30 AM..
Old 12-10-2008, 05:16 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Oh well... *whistles classic riff*
Old 12-10-2008, 11:27 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gailh View Post
Honestly, if this unlikely scenario were to happen, I think Stevie would fly out to Kent just to be Christine for a little while. And if that were the case, then John would probably HAVE to come, too.