Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 03-25-2013, 07:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Mick Helps Aspiring Blues Singer

Fleetwood Mac - Mick Fleetwood Mentoring Aspiring Singer
25 March 2013 , Contact Music

http://www.contactmusic.com/news/mic...singer_3575266

Fleetwood Mac rocker Mick Fleetwood has offered to mentor an aspiring young blues musician after spotting a clip of him performing on YouTube.com.

Fleetwood is championing 20 year old Dan Owen after seeing a video of him singing a cover of Bob Dylan's The Ballad Of Hollis Brown, which received a massive 400,000 hits on the clip-sharing website.

Owen, who is now playing under the name Blues Boy Dan Owen, has revealed he couldn't believe it when the music legend contacted him.

He says, "Mick has been a real help, a real mentor. It was amazing to meet him. At first I thought it was someone else. I knew of Fleetwood Mac but I thought it can't be him - it was. The first thing he said to me was 'I feel like I know you already'. We really got on."

Fleetwood adds of his protege, "Dan's music is from the heart - it is genuine blues and Dan is at the forefront of the new wave in British singer-songwriter talent."

Owen is set to tour with ZZ Top later this year (13) and record with Grammy-winning producer
Old 03-25-2013, 07:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Standard Co. UK 25 March 2013

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/londo...e-8547943.html

An aspiring blues artist who thought his dreams were finished when an accident left him partially blind has been “discovered” by rock star Mick Fleetwood, thanks to a YouTube clip.

At 16, Dan Owen nearly lost an eye when a piece of wood flew out of a machine and hit him during his carpentry apprenticeship.

He was in and out of hospital for months and had to give up his goal of becoming a guitar maker. For a while he felt sorry for himself, but then got into blues music and started gigging — securing an opportunity to play at last summer’s British Blues Awards.

A video of him performing a cover of Bob Dylan’s The Ballad Of Hollis Brown received 400,000 YouTube hits and caught the eye of the Fleetwood Mac drummer who offered to mentor him. The 20-year-old musician from Shropshire, now known as Blues Boy Dan Owen, showcased his work at The Fiddler’s Elbow in Camden last week.

He is set to tour with ZZ Top later this year and will travel to Nashville next month to record with Vance Powell, the Grammy-winning producer of the White Stripes and Kings of Leon. Owen said: “Mick has been a real help, a real mentor. It was amazing to meet him. At first I thought it was someone else. I knew of Fleetwood Mac but I thought it can’t be him — it was. The first thing he said to me was ‘I feel like I know you already’. We really got on.”

Fleetwood said: “Dan’s music is from the heart — it is genuine blues and Dan is at the forefront of the new wave in British singer-songwriter talent.”
Old 03-28-2013, 02:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Maybe Mick can advice the youngster in business strategy.
Old 04-04-2013, 01:27 AM
Addicted Ledgie

[Click to see picture of Mick with the youth]

http://www.shropshirestar.com/news/2...ry-singer-dan/

April 3, 2013 10:59, Shropshire Star

Mick Fleetwood plays mentor to Shrewsbury singer Dan

One of the world’s most successful rock stars has offered to mentor a 20-year-old Shropshire musician after spotting a clip of him on YouTube.

Mick Fleetwood, from Fleetwood Mac, saw Shrewsbury’s Dan Owen, AKA Blues Boy Dan, play a cover of Bob Dylan’s The Ballad Of Hollis Brown.

About 400,000 people have watched the video, filmed in September at the Newark Blues Festival. Dan, who is now playing under the name Blues Boy Dan Owen, said he could not believe it when he heard from the music legend.

Dan said: “Mick sort of found me via YouTube then came to a record industry showcase in London. We went for dinner and just had a chat. I mean, his stuff, Fleetwood Mac, is pretty amazing really. He’s been there and done it, so it’s amazing to have someone like that on board. I’ve always liked Fleetwood Mac. He’s been really, really good with me.”

Mick said: “Dan’s music is from the heart. It is genuine blues and Dan is at the forefront of the new wave in British singer-songwriter talent.”

At 16, Dan nearly lost an eye when a piece of wood flew out of a machine and hit him during his carpentry apprenticeship.

He was in and out of hospital for months and had to give up his goal of becoming a guitar maker. For a while he felt sorry for himself, but then got into blues music and started gigging, securing an opportunity to play at last summer’s British Blues Awards.

Dan is set to tour with ZZ Top later this year and record with Grammy-winning producer Vance Powell. He added: “Mick has been a real help, a real mentor. It was amazing to meet him. At first I thought it was someone else.

“I knew of Fleetwood Mac but I thought it can’t be him, it was. The first thing he said to me was ‘I feel like I know you already’. We really got on.”

Dan added that he was planning to fly to Nashville soon to record album tracks at Blackbird Studio.

Meanwhile, Blues Boy Dan will play a hometown gig at the Walker Theatre, at Shrewsbury’s Theatre Severn, on April 6 as part of Theatre of Blues.
Old 04-13-2014, 02:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

From an article on Dan Owen

Blues in the Northwest, April 13, 2014

http://www.bluesinthenorthwest.com/i...31st-may-2014/

Last year, his cover of Bob Dylan’s “Ballad of Hollis Brown” had over 455,000 hits on youtube.com. This brought him to the attention of Mick Fleetwood of Fleetwood Mac fame.

Mick is now acting as Dan’s mentor, describing him as being, “At the forefront of the new wave in British singer-songwriter talent.” This led to Dan being invited to attend Country Music legend Willie Nelson’s 80th Birthday Party in Nashville where he rubbed shoulders with Neil Young, Sheryl Crow and Norah Jones.

In June, he played at Glastonbury Festival, and then recorded with Grammy Award winning producer Vance Powell.

Powell has worked with such luminaries as
Old 09-30-2015, 09:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

[excerpt from Dan Owen article]

News Guardian, by Darin Hutson 9/30/2015

http://www.newsguardian.co.uk/what-s...slot-1-7489499

Among his growing band of fans is rock veteran Mick Fleetwood, a founder member of Fleetwood Mac.

The 68-year-old has been musically mentoring Owen since being impressed by a Youtube video of him playing a cover of the Bob Dylan classic The Ballad of Hollis Brown at 2012’s Newark Blues Festival in Nottinghamshire.

Fleetwood said: “Dan’s music is from the heart. It is genuine blues and Dan is at the forefront of the new wave in British singer-songwriter talent.”

A mutual appreciation society has since developed between the pair, with Owen telling the Shropshire Star: “Mick sort of found me via YouTube then came to a record industry showcase in London.

“We went for dinner and just had a chat.

“I mean, his stuff, Fleetwood Mac, is pretty amazing really. He’s been there and done it, so it’s amazing to have someone like that on board.

“I’ve always liked Fleetwood Mac. He’s been really, really good with me.”

“Mick has been a real help, a real mentor. It was amazing to meet him.

“At first, I thought it was someone else. I knew of Fleetwood Mac, but I thought it can’t be him. It was. We really got on.”

Show headliner Morris, 23, of Blackpool in Lancashire, is on tour to promote her debut album, Unguarded, a No 9 hit following its release in January.