User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 04-26-2004, 12:25 AM
Senior Ledgie

Heart Overrated music artists

who do you think is overrated?

simon and garfunkel. some of their songs are ok, and i listen to them sometimes, but the lyrics are too pretentious, sometimes in a faux-dylan fashion.

some lines that grate on me are:
"silence like a cancer grows"
"and the vision that was planted in my brain"
"sail on, silver girl, sail on by"
Old 04-26-2004, 12:46 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Lightbulb Oh mercy.

I'm going to bed. Night!
*Zips mouth shut*

Old 04-26-2004, 12:46 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Sheryl Crow (I hate every song I've ever heard from her. First Cut is the Deepest is a decent song, but I much prefer Rod Stewart's version)
Joss Stone
Coldplay (I just don't see what's so amazing about them. I liked The Scientist and Clocks, but other than that, eh.)
Sarah McLachlan (I like Fallen, though)
Tori Amos
Maroon 5
The Dixie Chicks
Rush
Kiss
Nirvana (Even though I love some of their songs, I think they're pretty overrated.)
Evanescance

I'm sure I'll come up with some more later.
Old 04-26-2004, 02:29 AM
Lux
This message has been deleted by Lux.
Old 04-26-2004, 06:58 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I love Aerosmith, but Joe Perry is not the best guitarist in the world, I much prefer Jimi Hendrix, Lindsay Buckingham, or Tom Scholz
Old 04-26-2004, 07:31 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Well, I like Simon & Garfunkel

Yes, some of their lyrics are pretentious, but their voices just sound so good together.

I was going to say that I think Kurt Cobain is overrated, but someone already mentioned Nirvana. And I never got into Evanescense.

Barbra Streisand is overrated, as is Diana Ross, and all the "divas" who followed in their footsteps (Whitney Houston, Mariah Carey, Celine Dion, et al).

A friend of mine hates Aretha Franklin. While I think she was fantastic in her prime (late '60s, early '70s), her voice has deteriorated to the point of being unlistenable over the last several years, and I just cringe when I hear her sing now. So, perhaps she's become a tad overrated. Even though I love Aretha, Etta James is a more powerful singer (and she still has her voice intact).
Old 04-26-2004, 07:47 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I love S & G, & they just (and finally) announced Houston.

I'm not much for Michael Jackson, Celine Dion, or Prince.
I'm not even counting the Britney & Justin crew.

- Jake
Old 04-26-2004, 08:22 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I'll forgive you for listing Sheryl Crow, Kate. Just don't let it happen again.

Ones that I can't stand but everyone else seems to love:

Nirvana (Ugh. Purely annoying.)
Aerosmith
Kiss
Led Zeppelin
Celine Dion
Whitney "Cracked" Houston
White Stripes
Stevie Nicks (Just checking to see if you're paying attention.)
The Beatles (I REALLY don't like them. Wings is okay, though.)
Simon and Garfunkel
Grateful Dead

Old 04-26-2004, 09:38 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Talking Oh man...

I could really piss alotta people off, but I won't post who I think is overrated...(I tend to NOT listen to 80%-90% of the current Flavor for the weak..."Go Bahhhhh for me ya sheep")

For sakes of saving band-width I will say that Limp Bizkit are the most overrated Poser-drivel that has ever received airplay

"To acknowledge death is to accept freedom and responsibility."

"Fleetwood Mac and its fans remind me of a toilet plunger...keep bringing up old sh*t..."
Old 04-26-2004, 10:11 AM
Lux
Old 04-26-2004, 10:17 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux
um.....you like Wings? Talk about wallpaper musak! I'll just leave that one alone shall I?
Lord, no, I was joking! They're terrible.

Old 04-26-2004, 10:23 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux
The White Stripes. I already have my Zepelin albums.
Huh?! Not seeing the comparison here.
Old 04-26-2004, 10:31 AM
Addicted Ledgie

[QUOTE=Lux]

um.....you like Wings? Talk about wallpaper musak! I'll just leave that one alone shall I?

QUOTE]

Wings are one of my all-time faves, and you couldn't be making this comment if you had "done all your homework". They had a lot of awesome rockers.

( =W=INGS Forever! )
Old 04-26-2004, 10:33 AM
Lux
Old 04-26-2004, 10:38 AM
Lux
Old 04-26-2004, 10:44 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I agree with a lot of mentions here (and strongly disagree with many of them), but Sheryl Crow is one I have to chime in on. I think it's great that she is a multi-talented musician and I think her voice is pretty amazing, but 95% of her songs leave something to be desired for me. Don't even get me started on All I Wanna Do or Soak Up The Sun . Unfortunately, she strangely leaves me thinking it's a shame she can't write better songs because, combined with her other talents, she would really be a knock-out if she could. On the other hand, she seems somewhat aware of this which I give her a lot of credit for. I know she said somewhere that she knows she is not capable of writing the type of deep, meaningful songs that Stevie is. Despite this, Sheryl is still better than a lot of stuff out there...I think it's the fact that all of the older artists think she's the Holy Grail is what leads to the feeling of overrated-ness.

I'll also throw in a big agreement with Jewel.

IMO, I don't think Britney and Justin are overrated...they're good at what they do, which is make pop music, dance and put on a show. To me, "overrated" means people deemed as being incredible at what they are setting out to do, but seem to be falling short of the mark.
I think they're well aware that they are not doing anything that is going to change the world. Justin is also an amazing vocalist, as is Christina Aguilera.

Last edited by EveryHour; 04-26-2004 at 10:53 AM..
Old 04-26-2004, 10:59 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux
Huh? I'm no historian because I don't like Wings? That doesn't make sense. I don't like them, that doesn't make me lazy.
No...I don't care if you haven't been enticed to pursue their other work by the singles you likely know. Just pointing out that it was unfair to call all of their music "muzak" when you don't know. "Done all your homework" was in quotes because it's an expression.

Just trying to defend one of my favorite bands here! My emotions are all stirrrrrrrred up! Can't help it.
Old 04-26-2004, 11:06 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux
Yeah, I know, it's a stretch. I see it more of a regression of what Zeppelin were doing. Or perhaps what Zeppelin would would be if they were a modern band. Anyway, I don't like it so much. I hate the fact that we are told the White Stripes are good. We must appreciate them, they are the new rock music. Ah, no, they're the old rock music and they're only noticable because there's bugger all else out there.
I completely agree...I hate the fact that we are fed what we should think is good or bad (in regards to anything, actually). I just know that, for me, The White Stripes are one of the most incredible bands I've ever heard (without comparing them to anything) and I do think they're important to have around right now. I hope people don't prevent themselves from liking them (or any other artist) simply because of what they're being "fed". To me, in a roundabout kind of way, that puts you in the same boat as those who like them because they're told they should.
Old 04-26-2004, 11:38 AM
Lux
Old 04-26-2004, 12:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Talking Exactly

Quote:
I hate the fact that we are fed what we should think is good or bad (in regards to anything, actually).
I feel that way in regards to Justin Guarini. People never gave him a chance because they were told by the "media" that his album sucked, it most certainly DID NOT. Of course, Justin said that 90% of the album was NOT him and the next album, which will have him co-writing his own stuff will be closer to his personality. I just get so frustrated at the hate spewed towards him when people don't even LISTEN to his music. If you hear it and don't like it, fine, but give it a chance at least.

WHY do people diss stuff without hearing it first?

I don't like to be TOLD what to like. I do read reviews of movies, music, etc, but that doesn't make me go, "Oh, if they don't like it, I won't either." That's stupid. Think for yourselves people!!!! In the words of our own Brian....don't be a sheep! LMAO!!

I guess I'll go ahead and answer this question. Be warned. LOL

Beatles (Okay, they were first, but that doesn't mean they are the best. JMO)
Rolling Stones (WTH is Mick Jagger a sex symbol? Where is that vomit icon? Boring, sorry.)
Sheryl Crow (Never have liked her)
Led Zeppelin (Stairway is an okay song, but overrated)
Barbra Streisand (UGH!! WHY do people think she's so great?)
Toby Keith (Sick of him)
Dixie Chicks (Go to battle with TK and END it already)
Kenny Chesney (Agreed, Brian. Why is he popular?)
Old 04-26-2004, 12:07 PM
Lux