User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 09-28-2011, 11:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
Well, Lindsey sometimes sounds like a woman, so it gets confusing when they're singing together. Gotta be an expert to know who's asking to hold me. Michele
Fleetwood Mac: two shemales and a goat.
Old 09-28-2011, 11:32 PM
Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacShadowsBall View Post
I can see people thinking Christine's voice is that of a man, but it really isn't "manly" in as much it isn't "womanly" in a high pitched soprano style.

Plus Christine's general vocal style is more subdued and almost sensual.

The first time I heard her speaking voice, I was suprised how British it sounded. Yet when she sings, she doesn't sound British. Does that make sense?
That's interesting & seems to make perfect sense.
Old 09-29-2011, 01:09 AM
Ledgie

Quote:
Well, Lindsey sometimes sounds like a woman, so it gets confusing when they're singing together. Gotta be an expert to know who's asking to hold me. Michele
That's so true. I think Lindsey sounds like a woman in I'm So Afraid. Am I crazy for saying that.
Another song you have to be an expert on Christie & Lindsey is Think About Me. My cousin thinks he sounds like a woman in Crystal.
Old 09-29-2011, 10:24 AM

^^^^ Is it Chris or Lindsey that sings... "come on and...." hold me, hold meeee eeeeeeeee
Old 09-29-2011, 06:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Also, keep in mind that enhancing the vocals with tape speed and other tweaks in the studio can make a man sound more female, and vice versa. Those repulsive grunts on "Big Love" are a kind of extreme example.

It never occurred to me that Chris sounds like a man or that Lindsey sounds like a woman, but maybe that's because I know both of their voices so well. They do have very similar vocal ranges which makes for the perfect unison singing on "Don't Stop" and a few other songs.
Old 09-29-2011, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicepace View Post
Also, keep in mind that enhancing the vocals with tape speed and other tweaks in the studio can make a man sound more female, and vice versa. Those repulsive grunts on "Big Love" are a kind of extreme example.

It never occurred to me that Chris sounds like a man or that Lindsey sounds like a woman, but maybe that's because I know both of their voices so well. They do have very similar vocal ranges which makes for the perfect unison singing on "Don't Stop" and a few other songs.
World Turning comes to mind..
Old 09-30-2011, 12:51 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Hmm... I've never thought Christine's voice in the Buckingham/Nicks era of FMac ever sounded like a man... Speaking voice maybe.. but I blame a lot of that on the ciggies.

I've always found it interesting that there is a Christine/Lindsey blend (can't really call it a duet) on every album.... World Turning, Don't Stop, Think About Me, Hold Me, Isn't it Midnight.

I always thought he was a little bit in awe of her, as she was classically trained and he was self-taught.
Old 09-30-2011, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
Hmm... I've never thought Christine's voice in the Buckingham/Nicks era of FMac ever sounded like a man... Speaking voice maybe.. but I blame a lot of that on the ciggies.

I've always found it interesting that there is a Christine/Lindsey blend (can't really call it a duet) on every album.... World Turning, Don't Stop, Think About Me, Hold Me, Isn't it Midnight.

I always thought he was a little bit in awe of her, as she was classically trained and he was self-taught.
Don't forget Mystified..
Old 09-30-2011, 11:28 AM
Ledgie

Default Feminine voice

Christine never sounded like a man to me, not singing or speaking. If anything, Stevie's speaking voice might get mistaken for a man!
Old 09-30-2011, 12:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mezzoforte View Post
I do think her voice leans towards the genderless, but that doesn't have to be a bad thing. Some of my favorite male artists have effeminate voices. In fact, I think it often makes a singer more interesting--I can't think of another artist who sounds like Christine.
I can think of a couple of singers with vaguely similar timbres as Christine: Jon Anderson of Yes and Sandy Denny. For years I was convinced that the lead singer of Yes was a woman. And even when I first saw Jon Anderson in a concert video, I still thought the lead singer of Yes was a woman, albeit, a tragically unattractive woman. I have also thought that, purely in terms of tone, Christine sometimes sounded like Barbra Streisand; they both share that French horn-sounding range. Of course Barbra can sing rings around Christine in terms of vocal range and power; however, when she sings softly, you can sometimes hear Christine.

I have to admit that when I first heard the Fleetwood Mac Live (1980) album, I thought it was Lindsey speaking the introduction to "Over and Over." At first I thought, why is Lindsey affecting a British accent? What a pompous jerk. I think this kinda validates the OP's assertion that Christine speaks like a man. She really does!
Old 09-30-2011, 12:46 PM

I also think the key and tone she sings Love In Store (live) sounds male. I love the character of her voice. She has tone and gender range.
Old 09-30-2011, 01:50 PM
Ledgie

I think it all depends on the song that Chris is singing. Songs like Out of My Mind, she sounds very angelic.

Time cast a spell on you, but you won't forget me.
Old 09-30-2011, 03:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley View Post
I think it all depends on the song that Chris is singing. Songs like Out of My Mind, she sounds very angelic.
Old 09-30-2011, 04:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HejiraNYC View Post
She should have called it Out of My Mind instead of Only Over You, because it might be easier not to get confused. Right now, I might say Over My Head when I mean Only Over You, even though they sound nothing alike.

Michele
Old 10-03-2011, 11:33 AM

Quote:
She should have called it Out of My Mind instead of Only Over You, because it might be easier not to get confused. Right now, I might say Over My Head when I mean Only Over You, even though they sound nothing alike.

Michele
I used to say Hold Me vs Got A Hold On Me back in the day...