Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 06-21-2009, 01:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeenageMac View Post

What?
Sounds like another one of Stevie's inspirations: the Anne Rice books & the Sting song "Moon Over Bourbon Street"

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 06-21-2009, 01:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Thanks Nancy! Also, my brother told me that before "Gypsy," she talked about how NOLA is like SFCA was when she and LB lived there.

save the cheerleader - save the world
Old 06-21-2009, 01:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

OK, I pull back my bonehead remark.

Cool that she did something special this night.

Old 06-21-2009, 02:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

^
a committe has been convened to determine a just punishment for the error.I, the head od said committee, can say this - it's going to involve feathers

save the cheerleader - save the world
Old 06-21-2009, 02:22 PM
Senior Ledgie

I was there, and it was a great show indeed. They all sounded great. I thought it was very touching that Stevie sang a part of that new song. Well.. it was just very sweet of her to do that. It made the night even more special. It was a packed house. too. I was just happy that I got to go, 'cause times are real hard now.
Old 06-21-2009, 02:49 PM
Ledgie

It will be forever be known as "Vampire Song"

Into the ocean at night
It's like living on a working river
The coastline is glittering
Like a diamond snake
In a black sky
Old 06-21-2009, 02:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
I'm sorry but this just cracks me up. I'd be sitting there somberly thinking about the Katrina aftermath and then I'd hear the vampire thing and I'd die laughing.

Michele
why does that strike you as so funny? Being that Stevie considered Anne Rice to be her favorite novelist at one time, the reference makes perfect sense.

I remember it all...you just had to fall...
Old 06-21-2009, 04:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by strandinthewind View Post
^
a committe has been convened to determine a just punishment for the error.I, the head od said committee, can say this - it's going to involve feathers
phew, at least it doesn't involve vampires.

Old 06-21-2009, 05:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I take the feathers, Strand. No sweat.

Old 06-21-2009, 05:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheart View Post
why does that strike you as so funny? Being that Stevie considered Anne Rice to be her favorite novelist at one time, the reference makes perfect sense.
Because it seems incongruent. I was weaned on Dark Shadows from the time I was about 5. I love Barnabas Collins. So, good for her. The song will work as well in Transylvania as New Orleans.

When she gets to England this fall, I hope she can sing a little something for them about Winchester Cathedral, Princess Diana and Jack the Ripper.

Michele
Old 06-21-2009, 06:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post

When she gets to England this fall, I hope she can sing a little something for them about Winchester Cathedral, Princess Diana and Jack the Ripper.

You're so like me
Old 06-21-2009, 06:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Just wrote out a long review and I'm ready to post it for anyone interested!

It was a terrific show - the last of the American leg. The house was packed and the crowd was really energetic - they gave several standing ovations. Kristin K. and I had third row seats but security was letting up the first few rows to the stage. We stood to the left of Stevie, right in Lindsey's line of sight but sadly a bit too close to the speaker for comfort. However, the best spots were already taken! Lindsey played with the crowd as usual but even Stevie was looking around and making more "crowd contact" than usual. They seem to have a soft spot in their heart for New Orleans. Obviously, the city has been through a great deal - and they hadn't played here since the Tango in the Night tour. Lindsey hasn't played there with the Mac since the freaking Rumours tour! Lindsey and Stevie were much more interactive than the last show I went to - Pittsburgh, the opener - and there was a lot of emotion in the air.

Unfortunately, there was no Silver Springs, but that was more than made up for by the fact that Stevie sang a snippet of an unreleased song she wrote in honor of New Orleans. More on that later!

Monday Morning

They started about 20 minutes late, and by the time they came out, we were more than ready. Stevie and Lindsey came out holding hands. Stevie was in her black dress, Lindsey in the red shirt, coat, and dark jeans as usual. Given that it was terribly hot in there, they must have been dying! I know we were, packed at the stage so tight that I could feel the lady in front of me breathe! Now, to the song. They sang it with spirit and I could tell it was going to be a great night right away! Lindsey immediately started making eye contact with people in the crowd, pointing, etc. I waved at him and he squinted in our direction, probably thinking, "Do I know them? Nah." lol. But it was still cool.

The Chain
Although I appreciate them changing it up a bit, I do miss this as the opener. Lindsey intro'ed it with his usual speech about the band getting together and having fun because there was no album promote - "YET." Then he hollered, "And we hope you have fun too!" to great cheers. The song was done well, and we all gave a big cheer for John as he did that bass solo. Because his sleeves were short, we could see his cool penguin tattoo very well!

Dreams
Great rendition. Stevie's voice sounded wonderful on Dreams and was consistent throughout the night.

I Know I'm Not Wrong

I always forget how well this song plays live until I'm in the midst of a crowd hollering "I know I'm not wrong!!!!" with the chorus. Great fun!

Gypsy

My favorite song, and the first "Stevie/Lindsey moment" that I saw. This is also where I saw Stevie's extremely cool black fingerless gloves with fringe. Anyway, she intro'ed the song by telling a story about the days pre-fame, that was longer and more detailed than prior intro's of this song I have heard. I'm going to try to quote her as closely as possible, although obviously I may get some words wrong. She said: "My parents transferred to San Francisco when I was a senior in high school. I met Lindsey Buckingham for one day - I was a senior, and he was a junior. We met for one day and then I didn't hear a thing from him for two years. Then, I got a phone call asking me to join the band that he'd formed - or that he was a part of - I don't know what he was doing those two years, I wasn't there! Anyway, they asked me to join their band. I asked, 'What kind of band is it?' 'Cause you know, it could have been any kind of band. 'What kind of band is it?' They said, 'A hard core rock'n'roll band.' I said 'Hold on a minute'" - then Stevie acts like she's holding the phone away from her and doing a dance of joy, then putting the phone back to her ear and saying calmly - "'Yeah, I could do that.' So, I went over to Lindsey's house to practice. We practiced four days a week and played two days a week. And we were part of what I consider the greatest musical scene ever - the San Francisco music scene from 1965-1970. We opened for Janis Joplin, Jim Morrison, Santana - we opened for Santana two days before their big album came out, and we had lunch with them the next day. It was a special, magical time. You would understand that in New Orleans because this is a magical, musical city. So, then, a few years later, I wanted to write a little song to take me back to those special times, back to our house in those days, with the paper and lace and Lindsey's and my bed on the floor. So, this is the song about that time." As she closed it up, she looked over at Lindsey, who was standing at his mic smiling nostalgically. It was a very sweet moment. The song itself was absolutely wonderful. She did some spins during it which was very cute.

Go Insane
After Gypsy, as you guys know, Stevie walks off and Lindsey takes over. I love the fact that they have included this song and it rocked. For the first time, I finally understood the words on the echo at the end: "Lovin' you, so insane." I should probably change that on BuckinghamNicks.net when I get a chance!

Rhiannon
And then it was time for Stevie to make her entrance in her beautiful Rhiannon outfit, with the flowing sleeves and low-cut top. She looks so amazing. She stayed low at the end, but her voice was very sexy and throaty, so it made it very hot!

Second Hand News
Lindsey into'ed this by saying that it was the first song recorded for Rumours - "if I recall correctly; sometimes I don't - my memory has some holes in it" - and that Rumours was a time filled with a lot of turmoil, but also a lot of laughs and love as well. He said he thought that all of that genuine emotion was what made it hold up today. Then, that great riff started the song and the crowd was rockin' to the beat.

Tusk
Tusk is lots of fun, and I like it better earlier in the setlist than it was in the Say You Will tour. It rocked!

Sara

Some more Stevie/Lindsey moments during this song. As usual, they faced each other during the "I had met my match" part. As she has done of late, she embraced him during the instrumental interlude towards the end of the song rather than going to his mic to sing. However, what was very cool here was the length of time she embraced him. From the YouTube videos of seen of the song, it was longer than usual and I think she just blew off her cue to sing to hold him longer. It wasn't a side hug; it was face to face. It was very touching, I thought! Stevie's voice on it was absolutely beautiful, and full of emotion. What a powerful song.

Big Love
Lindsey intro'ed this with a speech that was wordier than usual, so much so that I cannot recall all of it. It began with a story of how he was walking the streets of the French Quarter in New Orleans a couple days prior and saw all the guitarists playing in the street. He said he wanted to dedicate the song to them. The next part was bit different from Pittsburgh because it didn't have the part about how he's really happy in his house on the hill now with his wife and kids. Instead, he said something to the effect of that it was very descriptive of his mentality at the time it was written in 1987, but that it bears little relation to how he feels now, and talked some more about life in general. Then, he said that it started out full band, then became a single guitar/vocal piece, and a template for later work. He summed it up by saying now it represented the importance of change. As usual, he played the song perfectly and got a standing ovation. What an amazing talent he is!

I Want to Go Back to New Orleans (new song)!
Next was a very special moment. Unfortunately, I can't remember what Stevie said verbatim, but as I did for Gypsy I'll try to put it as close to what she said as possible. She said something like, "After it happened, I was glued to my couch like everyone else, and I wanted to write something. I wanted to be positive because I knew you would come back. I've waited a long time to say this to you so I'm going to sing a little bit of a song I wrote now." She sang the song by herself, no band playing. The song was midtempo and upbeat. As she was singing it, I told myself, "I have to try and remember these words" but my mind was so blown by the fact we were hearing a new, special song that it was unable to retain it all! Same for Kristin K. I can only hope there is a recording. What we can remember is that lyrics went something like "I want to go back to New Orleans. I want to wear feathers and beads." Then the next lines had something about wearing lace and going to Bourbon Street and the French Quarter. Towards the end she sang something to the effect of "I wanna brush by the vampires in the street." Then, after she stopped singing, she said "There's a whole song that goes with that." Some folks hollered, "SING IT!" But she stopped. It was essentially trying to capture the special spirit that embodies New Orleans in Stevie's mind - the fact that you can indeed walk the streets of New Orleans and see feathers, beads, lace, and yes - even people dressed like vampires. That the city is full of not only fun but a magic all its own; Stevie was creating a juxtaposition of images that evoke the unique nature of the town. Well done, Stevie, I say.

Landslide
From that, it was only appropriate to dedicate Landslide to the people of New Orleans. Beautifully done. I do miss how she used to go over to Lindsey during Landslide as I will always consider it "their song," but I guess that's been replaced by Sara.

Never Going Back Again
Next, it was once again Lindsey's turn to shine with another hit from Rumours. The only problem was that Stevie was a bit of a distraction as turned her back, flung her arms out, and struck some lovely poses as he sang. I know everyone at our end of the stage, at least, was watching her! Lindsey of course did a wonderful job with the song regardless.

Storms
At this point I noticed Stevie had changed into her lovely dark red dress. Stevie intro'ed this song a little differently. She said that they wanted to do something different, and that this was a song she loved and has always wanted to do. She said it was "a song about stormy relationships, and stormy people... dark, dark, stormy people" and got a rather ominous look on her face before breaking into a smile. "It's called 'I Have Always Been a Storm.'" Of course Mick was out front for this and it was great. Love that they're doing this song now.

Say You Love Me
Yes, I miss Christine but - they are so great on this song and I love that they're doing it! On a shallow personal note, Lindsey started giving our end of the crowd some lovin' and it was great having him look our way for "When the lovin' starts and the lights go down." However, it also had good Stevie/Lindsey moments as they sang part of it to each other. Love that!

Gold Dust Woman

This was the first time I had seen Stevie do Gold Dust Woman in her red dress, and the gold shawl against it made a striking contrast. Another Lindsey/Stevie moment: they were facing each other and looking pretty intense during the "Did she make you cry, make you break down" a couple choruses in. We could see Lindsey's face and woah. The only disappointment was her howl, with was kind of "monotonal" as Stevie would say!

Oh Well

Back to Lindsey! During this song, however, I decided to look over at Mick and John for the majority of it, thinking about how amazing it must be for them to playing this song still after all these years. Towards the end, Lindsey dragged out the "When I talk to God" part. After he said that line, he stopped, looked up, looked around, then looked up again... it was pretty funny. Finally he finished the song. Love that they added this to the set for this tour.

I'm So Afraid

My favorite Lindsey Fleetwood Mac song. I love how intense he gets playing this. I thought the guitar solo was a bit different than usual; a little less regular on the beat. A hot moment for Kristin K. and I occurred during the solo. He walked over to our end of the stage as he usually does for the solo, hitting his regular spot which was a little beyond where we were. Then, to our delight, at the end he moved and played the very end of the solo over us. We got sweated on. Sorry for those that grosses out, but for us, it was sexy!

Stand Back

This song always rocks, and tonight was so exception. At this point Stevie was really amping it up and I loved it. Once again, Kristin K. and I were treated to Lindsey mouthing lyrics at us. Unfortunately, this was probably prompted by the fact that we both hollered "Stand Back!" at the wrong time and so thereafter he found it necessary to turn towards us and mouth "STAND BACK" when it really was time to sing it. OK, not ideal, but I'll take what I can get. Another treat was that she hollered "TAKE IT ALL!" at the end, which she rarely does, and it's awesome!

Go Your Own Way
A break, then Stevie was back with her adorable top hat on. The opening strains of this always make me a bit sad as I know it's near the end, but they did a great job with it anyway. I thought it was funny that Stevie actually turned her microphone and put her back to Lindsey during the "packin' up, shackin' up" line and then after it moved so that she was once again facing normally. I got to strum Lindsey's guitar at the end when he leaned down over us, and Kristin K. touched his shoes.

World Turning
After a few moments of pretend goodbyes, they came back out for the encore. The audience at this time was on their feet and rockin' away. Mick's solo has certainly gotten longer since Pittsburgh! But he deserves his moment in the spotlight.

Band Intros
Lindsey was introduced as "the youth of the band" and "our mentor in the studio." Stevie was introduced as "the first lady of the band." Mick mentioned that the band intros were "John's dreaded moment" because he doesn't like being in the spotlight, which I thought was cute, then proceeded to introduce him anyway. There were the usual backing folks - Brett Tuggle, Neil Heywood, Sharon Celani, Lori Nicks, Janna Anderson.

Don't Stop
Lots of spirit, even if it annoys me a bit that Stevie changes the words a little. One cute moment: Stevie did a little kick during this song. They thanked the crowd for being wonderful and seemed to really mean it.

No Silver Springs - BOO!

Other than the absence of Silver Springs, a magnicent show. SO glad I went.

Last edited by sodascouts; 06-21-2009 at 07:12 PM..
Old 06-21-2009, 06:28 PM
Ledgie

Just to add my .02 as someone who was a resident of New Orleans when Hurricane Katrina hit...

I found it very touching that Stevie had written a song about it and wanted to share part of it with us. As far as the vampire line goes, it was a passing reference to a group that is a part of New Orleans culture. As anyone who has spent any amount of time in New Orleans knows, if you stay out late enough, you will eventually find yourself having dinner next to a group of "vampires" complete with capes, walking sticks, etc. It sounds strange outside the context of the city, but then, New Orleans is a strange city

All in all, I'm very happy that Stevie was willing to sing part of her song for us. It meant a lot.

~Kristin K.
Old 06-21-2009, 07:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
We met for one day and then I didn't hear a thing from him for two years. Then, I got a phone call asking me to join the band that he'd formed - or that he was a part of - I don't know what he was doing those two years, I wasn't there!
I'd like to know what he was doing those 2 years as well.

Quote:
However, what was very cool here was the length of time she embraced him. From the YouTube videos of seen of the song, it was longer than usual and I think she just blew off her cue to sing to hold him longer.
Well, now you're just making me giddy. If I get lightheaded, fall down the stairs and break my neck, it will be due in part to that description.

Quote:
I Want to Go Back to New Orleans (new song)!
Sounds like an amazing experience. Look, if she'd done Illume in New York, it would have been exciting and we already know that song. But to get snatches of a song we haven't heard from her before, when we haven't heard new music in years -- well that's breathtaking.

I still think the vampire part is quite hysterical, in the vein of "forgotten chimpanzee". I see people walking around Los Angeles in all sorts of garb, especially in Hollywood, so I understand routinely brushing against vampires -- and even more during Mardi Gras.

Thanks for the detailed review. Last U. S. appearance. Makes me sad.

Michele
Old 06-21-2009, 07:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

OK guys, gotta get something off my chest, and if the woman in question is reading this... good.

Last night at the concert me, easygoing Nancy, almost got in an altercation during the show! Here's the story:

This woman next to me had a REALLY long banner. It was so long that it took about 12 people to hold it up, whom she was able to enlist by bugging them. She tried to enlist me, but then I got a gander at what it said: "LINDSEY I HAVE WANTED TO F--K YOU FOR TEN YEARS" in super-big letters. Of course she did not have dashes instead of letters. It was right in the middle at the front, and stretched from in front of Stevie to in front of Lindsey. It was held up for several minutes during an early Lindsey song, and actually hit me in the face, so I kind of shoved it away from me. Lindsey saw it and nodded at me, like he thought it was my sign, to my mortification. I quickly shook my head and pointed at that other woman. Stevie was looking pissed off.

Whatever. I shrugged it off and waited for her to put it down now that she'd been acknowledged. But she didn't. I don't know what she was waiting for - him to come over and proposition her from the stage? Finally, it drifted down. But that was not to be the end of it. She held it up a second time a couple songs later. Again, it hit me in the face. Again, I tolerated it. By this point, the MANY people it was blocking were getting annoyed too.

Then, Stevie sang the moving song about New Orleans, and went into Landslide. The woman started shoving the banner up AGAIN. It was obvious Stevie hated the vulgar sign and here she was, pouring her heart out during a highly emotional song, and she was gonna have to look at THAT again? I'd had enough. "Not this time," I said, and grabbed the corner, pulling it down. The woman tried to move away but I was on a mission. I wouldn't let go.

She became enraged, calling me all sorts of vulgarities for the remainder of the song. I simply turned away and refused to react, but never let go of that sign until I saw it fall to the floor. After the song, she continued hollering. I turned to her and said as politely as I could, "Ma'am, please be quiet, I am trying to enjoy the show." Then I turned away again and determinedly did not look at her or acknowledge her. You can imagine this did not silence her, but it was fairly easy to block her out as there was someone in between her and me and therefore I didn't have to see her. Also, with the crowd noise, her epithets were muffled to the degree where I couldn't quite make them out anyway. At any rate, the show was so wonderful that I could wrap myself in it and not think too hard about her, even though she continued ranting for several more songs.

I don't know if Lindsey saw what happened, but after that was when he came over for I'm So Afraid and gave us some special attention, much to that woman's anger. Hmmm.

As I said, she continued for several songs afterwards and then approached me again, at which point I said "We'll talk after the show." At that, she finally left me alone with the promise that "We definitely will."

Of course, when the lights came up at the end, she left without another word. That was fine with me. If she had tried anything I would have just called over security. I had no intention of engaging in a shouting match with her or, even more ridiculously, a cat fight.

I can only hope she only acts that way when she's liquored up because otherwise.... woah. One would hope a woman who was obviously over 50 would have a little more maturity.

I don't regret doing it and I'd do it again. Signs are fine if you're considerate of others... but if you're going to be obnoxious and rude, don't expect everyone to silently put up with you.