Old 04-19-2004, 05:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Default U.S. gasoline price hits record high for 4th week

http://www.alertnet.org/thenews/newsdesk/N19360318.htm

19 Apr 2004 20:59:58 GMT
U.S. gasoline price hits record high for 4th week

By Tom Doggett

WASHINGTON, April 19 (Reuters) - There is no relief for U.S. consumers at the gasoline pump, as the national price for motor fuel hit a record high for the fourth straight week, increasing 2.7 cents over the last week to $1.813 a gallon on Monday, the government said.

The latest pump price is 29 cents higher than this time last year, according to the U.S. Energy Information Administration's weekly survey of service stations.

Strong consumer demand for gasoline and tight fuel supplies are pushing up pump prices.

When adjusted for inflation in 2004 dollars, the highest price for gasoline was $2.99 a gallon in March 1981, EIA said. European drivers face much higher gasoline costs than in the United States, with prices in some countries around $5 a gallon.

The record price comes as a new book by Washington Post reporter Bob Woodward claims that Saudi Arabia's ambassador to the United States, Prince Bandar bin Sultan, promised President George W. Bush the Saudis would cut oil prices before November.

Woodward, author of a new book on Bush's preparations for the Iraq war "Plan of Attack," said Prince Bandar pledged the Saudis would try to fine-tune oil prices to prime the U.S. economy for November's presidential election, a move they understood would favor Bush.

Democratic presidential challenger Sen. John Kerry said it would be "outrageous and unacceptable" if the Bush administration and the Saudis reached a "secret" deal to tie the price of gasoline and fuel supplies to the U.S. presidential election.

Saudi Arabia said Monday it will not use oil prices to try to sway the U.S. election

"We do not use oil for political purposes; it is too important a commodity, and its impact on the global economy (of which we are a part) is tremendous," said Adel Al-Jubeir, foreign affairs adviser to the Crown Prince of Saudi Arabia.

"Saudi Arabia also does not interfere in elections," he said in a statement.

The retail price for cleaner-burning reformulated gasoline, sold in polluted city areas, increased 1.6 cents in the latest week to $1.899 a gallon, according to the EIA survey.

The West Coast had the most expensive regular unleaded gasoline, with the price up 0.9 cent at $2.088 a gallon.

Los Angeles topped the agency's city survey of gasoline costs, but the price fell 1.5 cents a gallon at $2.195.

The U.S. Gulf Coast has the cheapest fuel by region, with the price down 3.7 cents at $1.70 per gallon. Houston had the most affordable gasoline at $1.665 a gallon, up 3.3 cents.

The weekly report also showed gasoline prices were up 7.8 cents at $1.959 in Seattle, up 3.3 cents at $1.888 in Chicago, up 2.4 cents at $1.860 in Miami, up 1.6 cents at $1.781 in New York City and up 5.9 cents at $1.778 in Cleveland.

Separately, EIA said the average pump price for diesel fuel increased 4.5 cents to $1.724 a gallon, up 20 cents from a year earlier.

Truckers on the West Coast paid the most for diesel fuel at $2.112 a gallon, up 8.6 cents from the prior week. The lower Atlantic states had the cheapest diesel at $1.624, up 2.8 cents.
Old 04-19-2004, 06:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

maybe it's a hint that saving on gas and searching for alternate energy sources might both help the enviroment and the world's political stability.

still, it might comfort you a bit to know that you still pay rediculous tax on oil there. all over europe (and here as well), you'd pay more than twice for that gas (and would usually earn a little less).

somewhere deep in the middle of the night baby, i think about you!!! she says somewhere deep in the middle of the night my baby, i think about you!!!! she says i know what it sounds liiike! i know what it sounds liiiiiiiiiiike, i know what it sounds like, it sounds like youuuuuuuuuu!!!!!!
Old 04-19-2004, 08:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommer
maybe it's a hint that saving on gas and searching for alternate energy sources might both help the enviroment and the world's political stability.

still, it might comfort you a bit to know that you still pay rediculous tax on oil there. all over europe (and here as well), you'd pay more than twice for that gas (and would usually earn a little less).

I'm hoping our next president will devote some time and energy to alternative energy sources.
My reason for posting this article is becuase I think that this is being done on purpose.
Old 04-19-2004, 09:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gldstwmn
I'm hoping our next president will devote some time and energy to alternative energy sources.
My reason for posting this article is because I think that this is being done on purpose.

Unfortunately, not until the last drop is drained from the Earth. That is so sad to me because the aleternate methods clearly are there. But, hope springs eternal , Toyota/Lexus, Ford, GM, and others are coming out with hybrid vehicles AND I am on the list for the Ford Escape hybrid, which is supposed to perform like a regular gas engine and it gets like 40 mpg. So, there are steps being taken - FINALLY!!!!!!!!!!

save the cheerleader - save the world
Old 04-19-2004, 10:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

isn't the stupid war with Iraq supposed to LOWER gas prices.

He Will Burn You Down
Old 04-20-2004, 10:09 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye
isn't the stupid war with Iraq supposed to LOWER gas prices.

Old 04-20-2004, 10:26 AM
Addicted Ledgie

You still have a way to go to catch up with our rediculously high prices! Ours works out at around $5.45 a gallon...

Pip
Old 04-20-2004, 10:28 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Thank the Almighty...

that I live in Oklahoma were gas prices average $1.68 a gallon.

I am glad my '96 Nissan still averages 40 miles a gallon unlike some newer S.U.V.'s (aka "Stupid Useless Ve-Hicle") that barely get 8 miles a gallon...

If ya are one of those people who bought a S.U.V. and are whining about the gas prices I think you have should have realized that gas prices were bound to go upwards.

"To acknowledge death is to accept freedom and responsibility."

"Fleetwood Mac and its fans remind me of a toilet plunger...keep bringing up old sh*t..."
Old 04-20-2004, 10:30 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by estranged4life
I am glad my '96 Nissan still averages 40 miles a gallon unlike some newer S.U.V.'s (aka "Stupid Useless Ve-Hicle") that barely get 8 miles a gallon...

If ya are one of those people who bought a S.U.V. and are whining about the gas prices I think you have should have realized that gas prices were bound to go upwards.
Anyone who drives an SUV must not have had a brain in their head when they made the purchase.

Old 04-20-2004, 10:34 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissention
Anyone who drives an SUV must not have had a brain in their head when they made the purchase.
So, if you have to haul things, you should make two trips in your sedan if the items will even fit in a sedan?

PPUUUHHHLLLEEEEZZZZEEEEEEEE - you city folks don't know nothin'

Last edited by strandinthewind; 04-20-2004 at 10:37 AM..
Old 04-20-2004, 10:36 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsy-Rhiannon
You still have a way to go to catch up with our rediculously high prices! Ours works out at around $5.45 a gallon...

Pip
Its coming soon trust me. I predict there will be a Federal gas tax of at least a dollar as opposed to the $0.20 (I think) now.

Old 04-20-2004, 10:42 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by strandinthewind
Its coming soon trust me. I predict there will be a Federal gas tax of at least a dollar as opposed to the $0.20 (I think) now.
When it's all said and done it's over $.24 and it might be a little more than that now.
Old 04-20-2004, 10:47 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default City folk???

Quote:
So, if you have to haul things, you should make two trips in your sedan if the items will even fit in a sedan?

Not me, I live in a small pro-conservative town/hell-hole that is 40 miles from the largest city/town.

Thank God that gasoline prices in OKC are usually ¢.5-¢.10 cheaper than the rural (Ripoff) areas.

Btw, I remember showing/pointing out a new Ford S.U.V. parked out front at the OKC Ford Center this past July, To a fellow Ledgie "shackin' up", That averages only 16 miles a gallon on the highway & 8 miles in the city...For the $35,000+ price tag I have to say B.S. to that Found On Roadside Dead gas-guzzler.

"To acknowledge death is to accept freedom and responsibility."

"Fleetwood Mac and its fans remind me of a toilet plunger...keep bringing up old sh*t..."
Old 04-20-2004, 10:49 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

Yup. If someone buys an SUV, they have no right to bitch and moan about gas prices.

I drive a Beetle and I've never had any problems. I think we all know someone with a truck who can pick up something for us.

Lord, driving an SUV in Boston is like flying a 747 through a nostril.

Old 04-20-2004, 10:54 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by estranged4life
that I live in Oklahoma were gas prices average $1.68 a gallon.

I drive a Volvo and since I work at home I rarely drive. I will confess that I am going to be buying a new car-a Jaguar X Type- within the next year. So shame on me.