The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Lindsey Buckingham
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 08-11-2003, 02:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Ohhh I thought it was Stevie introducing him...

"If you f*ck with my people, I'm gonna get real f*cking angry!" (Stevie-1988)

If I'd have written a song on "Rumours"? How about "You want a what?", or "We should have had a Pre-Nup". (John McVie)
Old 08-11-2003, 03:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Question Who's that girl?

Who is the chick introducing Lindsey? It doesn't sound like Stevie to me...she sounds like she has an accent.

Anyone know?
Old 08-11-2003, 05:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Man, I know some people like that kind of unintelligible Stevie, but I can't stand it. It makes me wince to listen to her, she was so out of it. Now, during Mirage SOTM I like it due to that fact that she did it because she was so into the song. On the other hand, for these benefit songs, she did it because her addled brain couldn't remember what the lyrics actually were. I find it pretty sad, actually.

I'm so excited to hear Lindsey live in the late eighties! Great, as always.

Last edited by sodascouts; 08-11-2003 at 05:23 PM..
Old 08-12-2003, 12:38 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I s thinking te same thing as you Christy, this is our sample of what Lindsey would've been like on the TITN tour. And unlike Stevie he wasn't at the bottom of his career creativle. In fact he's quite possibly at the peak. And that I'm so afraid was definitly smokin. And the intro to Never Going Back Again was REALLY sad. He's like saying all these nice things about the band, and how he loves them and he dedicates his performance to them, but we all know in about a year he divorces them And I also love Stevie's I want to do more songs but Don won't let me.

He Will Burn You Down
Old 08-12-2003, 01:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

It was definitely a real treat to hear those two tracks...many, many thanks to David and Neil !!

Possibly the only recording available that shows us what LB would have been like had he toured in '88....and I must say..it would probably have been (at least from an LB fan's point of view) the greatest Fleetwood Mac tour ever...His voice during I'm So Afraid is absolutely, and effortlessly, M I N D B L O W I N G....(ANY of you who think Lindsey needs "voice coaching"...I STRONGLY recommend you to download and listen to these tracks!). The solo is awesome and did you all hear that little bit of crazy pawing away at the strings right at the end...?? Hehehe...he was giving us a taste of what's to come...(ok..well..it came 17 years later...but....better late than never!!....lol...!)

I doubt a video of it even exists, but I'd certainly pay a lot of $$$ to see it!

Old 08-13-2003, 12:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I LOVE Lindsey's songs from that show! NGBA is probably the best I've ever heard it. I'm So Afraid was great, but some of his vocals made me wince; when he sang some of the lines, he had a very Stevie-like vibratto going on!

Stevie's songs aren't very good. I had to stop Rhiannon, it's just awful. I liked a lot of her performances during the RAL tour, but this is just horrific.

Old 08-13-2003, 04:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by David
They didn't really do a concert together. I was at this show. In fact, this recording is the recording I myself made. Neil's got the wrong date on it. It was August 28, 1986. It was Stevie's last solo appearance in the Los Angeles area in 1986.

This was a big benefit that Henley put together with all his pals in the music biz to raise money to support some of the environmental & development issues in L.A. that year -- something to do with commercial development & safe drinking water. The show was called "Get Tough on Toxics."

Performers included Jimmy Buffett, Neil Young, Joni Mitchell, the Eagles (sans Glenn Frey, who was laid up in hospital), Cheech Marin (whose "Born in East L.A. was a hit that year), Lindsey, Stevie & Mick.

Lindsey played his own set with his own band: "I'm So Afraid" & "Never Going Back Again." Stevie & Mick played a brief set of "Rhiannon," "Edge of Seventeen" & "Stand Back," & Stevie returned later in the evening to perform "Leather & Lace" with Henley (only the fourth time she had ever performed the song live with him). Stevie's band was her tour band.

Interesting sidenote: Joni sang "Cool Water" in her set. Robert Hilburn reviewed the show for the L.A. Times, saying that Lindsey & Warren Zevon were the two highlights.
Thanks for the update Dave, small world it certainly is!

http://stillgoinginsane.fleetwoodmac-uk.com
Still Going Insane - A Lindsey Buckingham Resource