Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 10-05-2016, 08:15 PM
Ledgie

Default Best Era Of Fleetwood Mac

So, I thought of an interesting question. What do you think is the best all around time period for Fleetwood Mac. Now, for this question to be answered you have to consider the following (to quote that blasted Science Guy, for the era that you chose.

-Did it have (in your opinion the best album), it has to have no filler or next to no filler.
-Do you think that's when they gave their best live performances, (if any).
-Were the B-Sides/Outtakes good?
-This one is just kind of a side note. Did it have their best interviews and promotional/music videos.
-Do you like the solo albums that were released from around that time. Like how Go Insane, Rock-A-Little, and Christine McVie are almost a part of the Tango In The Night era.

My vote might have to be the Mirage Era. Although, (controversial opinion) Tango In The Night is my favorite album from that line-up, I think the live performances from then are rather lacking. I think Mirage was their peak for live performance, just watch the Mirage Tour video! I love the three music videos and the interviews that they gave. I also think that after hearing the reissue it has some of their finest outtakes.

I'm really curious to hear what you guys and gals have to say.
Old 10-06-2016, 01:52 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Mystery To Me,1973. The best album they ever made!
Old 10-06-2016, 06:44 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

I love 1974. Heros are hard to find is an amazing album. Christine really shines with her songs and you get a premonition of what a huge hit maker she was to become. I love the harmonizing between Bob and Christine.
I also love 1982. Its a quick blip and short tour but its like eating one potato chip. I just cant get enough. It was the end of an era for the band. Everyone was at their peak beauty and it was the last time before drugs started to impact performances (Stevie). It also was the early video era and the band made 2 of the best videos ever so you can imagine how ground breaking they were in 1982. No backup singers or fancy sets. It was basic arena rock which is when they are at their best IMHO.
Old 10-06-2016, 07:23 AM

Probably 1975-6 for me.
I've always thought that the white album is almost on a par with Rumours, and almost all of the best performances of my favourite songs are from this tour: Green Manalishi with Stevie's wails, I'm so afraid with Stevie still on the chorus, Hypnotized with Stevie and Lindsey's harmonies and, most of all, those unrivalled Rhiannon performances.
Unfortunately there aren't many outtakes leaked, beside a very sweet version of Warm Ways from the tour rehearsals that makes me wish for more.
Interviews and music videos were still pretty much secondary, and solo careers were still just a distant thought.
The live video performances we have from that time are very good, the Largo show and the Capitol Centre one, but the Santa Barbara show that was partly filmed for the Rosebud documentary is from this period too and that seems peerless; I really would like to see more footage from that concert.
Old 10-06-2016, 08:20 AM
Registered

i wish there would have been more with Rick and Billy
Old 10-06-2016, 08:54 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I always thought that the Say You Will Era could've been the best with Christine, but everyone hates that album haha
Old 10-06-2016, 09:06 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
Mystery To Me, 1973. The best album they ever made!
I'm glad someone else thinks this was a high point in Mac history. Though I'd widen it to 1973-1974 to include 3 albums: Penguin, Mystery To Me, and Heroes Are Hard To Find. MTM definitely was the standout album of the era, and really, one of the top 5 albums the band ever released. I love Penguin & Heroes too. These 3 albums represent when Bob Welch really came into his own. There's just something about him I've never been able to pinpoint. He's got the mysticism of Stevie Nicks, the storytelling of Peter Green, the pop chops of Christine McVie, and eccentric sonic sensibilities of Lindsey Buckingham. Bob's story is such a tragedy, too. He left Fleetwood Mac just as he was hitting his stride, he wasn't included in the RRHOF, and his death was just heartbreaking. It really bothers me his FM albums aren't available on streaming mediums like Spotify, either. This pretty much guarantees future generations will never hear Bob's FM music.

I also love 1979-1980 in an entirely different way. Tusk is my all time favorite album by any band. Stevie Nicks really flexed her muscles during Tusk, stepped out of the shadows, and became a star. The tour was this giant monster, too. I love the snapshot in time that the Live album is. When I think of the definitive era of Fleetwood Mac, this is it.
Old 10-06-2016, 09:34 AM
Addicted Ledgie

1970's and 80's was my favorite.

Stevie fan forever and ever amen.......
the Wildheart at Edge of Seventeen and the Gypsy.....

My sweet Buttons .I love you. RIP 2009 to 08/24/2016
Old 10-06-2016, 09:34 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexD View Post
I always thought that the Say You Will Era could've been the best with Christine, but everyone hates that album haha
If Christine were present, Say You Will would have been a 21st century Tusk. The album really would have benefitted from Christine's presence in multiple ways- she would have bridged the chasm in between Stevie's and Lindsey's songs, and her presence would have meant cutting out some of the dead wood present on the album. As it stands, SYW is still the most artistically pure thing the band has done since Tango. Yeah, it's flawed- but it's honest, and a genuine attempt at forward movement without being trapped by the past.
Old 10-06-2016, 11:33 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I don't know if it's just because they only did one album, but I would have loved one more album with the Behind the Mask lineup. They didn't get much of a chance to show all their stuff, but As Long As You Follow, No Questions Asked, Save Me, Skies the Limit, and In the Back of My Mind all delivered and showed there was still plenty of life in the Mac.
Old 10-06-2016, 11:49 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I love the white Album and Rumours era....but, my favourite is
the Peter Green era of Fleetwood Mac, especially
"Oh Well", "Man of the World" and "Albatross"...they
have that late 60's bluesy hippie feel about them, very atmospheric.
Old 10-06-2016, 03:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

The "Bare Trees" era holds an extremely special place in my heart. I'm a huge Danny Kirwan fan. It's a shame that his demons took over both his music and his life. But songs like "Danny's Chant" and "Sunny Side Of Heaven" are masterpieces - Snapshots of a band still valid and creative despite losing Green and Spencer, but veering off in a more fascinating and mystical direction. However, his song, "Dust" remains my favorite cut off this record. Why? Because it perfectly foreshadows not only his departure from the band, but also his departure from creating music and, lastly, his HIGHLY UNDERRATED legacy within this band. It's so sad. He's the only other member of this band whose lyrics are on par with Stevie's in regards to the poetic and atmospheric.

I also really dig Bob's funky "The Ghost" and prefer this first version of "Sentimental Lady" to (what would become) the over saturated California yacht rock solo version later on.

Christine's "Spare Me A Little" is like a sneak peak of her Pop sensibilities overshadowing her Blues roots. A "dry run", if you will, for songs like "Say You Love Me" and "Sugar Daddy" IMO. So much fun!

And of course how could you not adore Mrs. Scarrot's "Thoughts On A Grey Day" closing an album that's "beautiful! Just beautiful! So beautiful!"

Definitely a "perfect moment in time", not only for the band, but for the fans of Fleetwood Mac. It's a shame it was so short lived. It's also worth noting that this is the only platinum selling Mac album, pre-Rumours line up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by louielouie2000 View Post
If Christine were present, Say You Will would have been a 21st century Tusk. The album really would have benefitted from Christine's presence in multiple ways
I'm not sure about that sentiment, but I do agree that it would have been more well received and hugely successful had she taken part. There's a reason why "Bleed To Love Her" and "Steal Your Heart Away" are my personal favorites off the record. It's because of Christine's presence...and the only two moments within the record that make it FEEL like it's Fleetwood Mac instead of Buckingham Nicks Part 2.

Last edited by sorcerer999; 10-06-2016 at 04:04 PM..
Old 10-06-2016, 07:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

There's not question about it, 1975 through 1979 were the absolute best years of this band's output.
Old 10-06-2016, 09:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

1979... the year they released their masterpiece, Tusk.
Old 10-07-2016, 02:03 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by louielouie2000 View Post
If Christine were present, Say You Will would have been a 21st century Tusk. The album really would have benefitted from Christine's presence in multiple ways- she would have bridged the chasm in between Stevie's and Lindsey's songs, and her presence would have meant cutting out some of the dead wood present on the album.
That has always been her job. Stevie might be the star, and Lindsey the architect, but Christine's songs ARE the MF SOUND of Fleetwood Mac. Because that's where it all melds, and makes it a cohesive unit. Christine MF McVie. Period.