Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 12-22-2014, 02:29 PM
Registered

Default RIP Joe Cocker

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-30582761
Old 12-22-2014, 03:09 PM

Singer Joe Cocker dies aged 70 after cancer battle
Joe Cocker

Singer Joe Cocker, best known for his cover of the Beatles' With A Little Help From My Friends, has died aged 70, his agent has confirmed.

The Sheffield born singer-songwriter had a career lasting more than 40 years with hits including You Are So Beautiful and Up Where We Belong.

His agent Barrie Marshall said Cocker, who died after battling lung cancer, was "simply unique".

Sir Paul McCartney said he was a lovely guy who "brought so much to the world".

Known for his gritty voice, Cocker began his singing career in the pubs and clubs of Sheffield in the 1960s before hitting the big time.

He was propelled to pop stardom when his version of The Beatles' With A Little Help from My Friends reached number one in 1968.

He performed the song at the famous Woodstock Festival in New York state a year later.

He was also well-known for his "Mad Dogs and Englishmen" Tour of 1970, which featured over 40 musicians touring 48 cities across the US, resulting in a third gold album of the same name and a concert film.

His duet with Jennifer Warnes, Up Where We Belong - from An Officer And A Gentleman - hit number one and went on to win both a Grammy and an Academy Award in 1983.

He was made an OBE in 2007.

Cocker's duet with Jennifer Warnes Up Where We Belong won a Grammy and an Oscar
Last year his arena tour across Europe saw him achieve a number one album in Germany and give what was to be his final concert in Hammersmith, London, in June.

Mr Marshall said it was with "the heaviest hearts we heard that our beloved Joe Cocker passed away last night".

"He was without the doubt the greatest rock/soul voice ever to come out of Britain and remained the same man throughout his life."

He described Cocker as a "true star" who was also "a kind and humble man who loved to perform".

"Anyone who ever saw him live will never forget him," he added.

'Etched in our memories'
Sir Paul said he would be "forever grateful" to Cocker for turning With A Little Help From My Friends into a "soul anthem".

"I knew him through the years as a good mate and I was so sad to hear that he had been ill and really sad to hear today that he had passed away.

"He was a great guy, a lovely guy who brought so much to the world and we'll all miss him," he added.

Among other musicians who have paid tribute to Cocker, were the Beatles' drummer Ringo Starr, who tweeted: "Goodbye and God bless to Joe Cocker."

Singer song-writer Frank Turner tweeted: "Wow. Sad to hear of Joe Cocker's passing. Incredible singer."

BBC arts editor Will Gompertz said Cocker may have had "the finest blues soul voice ever to come out of Britain".

Edgar Berger, chairman and chief executive of Sony Music Entertainment International, who signed Cocker, said he was "one of the most humble men I've ever met.

He said his voice "will forever be etched in our memories".

It's truly a tragedy, my parents, especially my dad, loved him and I remember we listened to his music all together when I was a kid.
Old 12-22-2014, 06:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I just got this sad news from Google news.I did not know he was sick.

RIP.Joe.Your music is so beautiful .

When You Are So Beautiful came out in 1974 .The time when my mom and my step dad met and dated .I remember my step dad used to sing You Are So Beautiful to my mom.

Stevie fan forever and ever amen.......
the Wildheart at Edge of Seventeen and the Gypsy.....

My sweet Buttons .I love you. RIP 2009 to 08/24/2016
Old 12-29-2014, 08:11 AM

Joe Cocker and Jimmy Page Live in 1983 – Pic of the Week
by Ultimate Classic Rock Staff December 23, 2014 12:31 PM

Our photo of the week finds the late Joe Cocker on stage with Jimmy Page, at a November 29, 1983 stop in Dallas as part of the Ronnie Lane Appeal for Multiple Sclerosis (or A.R.M.S.) tour. Cocker was captured by photographer Mark Bowman in the midst of a signature interpretation of ‘With A Little Help From My Friends.’
At the time, these Dallas shows were celebrated as Page’s first two in the United States after the demise of Led Zeppelin. (Page had, of course, earlier appeared as a sideman on Cocker’s studio version of the Beatles tune.) Today, Bowman’s image reminds us how riveting and soulful Joe Cocker’s performances always were.
Anyone who attended live gigs featuring Joe Cocker — who died on Monday at 70 after a long cancer battle — would bear witness to a complete immersion with his muse, the frenetic body language, and tender finesse he brought to every new take on an unforgettable classic. Whether it was his groundbreaking introduction to the masses at Max Yasgur’s farm at Woodstock in 1969, the hilarious send up of his “Feelin’ Alright” routine with John Belushi on Saturday Night Live back in 1976, or performances of any of his best-known songs, Cocker was simply unforgettable.
You can see more photos of Joe Cocker and other rock icons at MarkBowmanImages.com.

Read More: Joe Cocker and Jimmy Page Live in 1983 - Pic of the Week | http://ultimateclassicrock.com/joe-c...ckback=tsmclip

www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRzKUVjHkGk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRzKUVjHkGk

Last edited by SisterNightroad; 12-29-2014 at 11:05 AM..