Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 12-10-2008, 04:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Salt Lake Magazine 2008 Top 10, by Don Nailen

December 10, 2008

http://www.saltlakemagazine.com/Blog...-Top-10-Tunes/

My efforts to whittle down the year's music to a Top 10 list continues today with an old favorite, Lindsey Buckingham, and new stars from Down Under, or at least New Zealand: Flight of the Conchords.

LINDSEY BUCKINGHAM, Gift of Screws

The long-time Fleetwood Mac singer and guitarist doesn't necessarily sell boatloads of his solo work, and that's a shame because Buckingham truly pushes his pop tendencies to the background on his solo work, favoring experimental excursions and fiery guitar workouts.

That's not to say there isn't plenty to love on Gift of Screws for all you Fleetwood Mac fans; songs like "Did You Miss Me" and "Love Runs Deeper" would fit perfectly on a Fleetwood Mac album. Indeed, both John McVie and Mick Fleetwood appear on various songs here, making Gift of Screws a more rocking affair than Buckingham's all-acoustic predecessor, Under the Skin.

Anyone who considers Buckingham a classic-rock dinosaur—and I was once in that camp—needs to give the guy another listen. Maybe it's because I'm a hell of a lot older than my punk-rockin' days, but I've come to think of Buckingham as one of America's greatest songwriters, even if he remains an under-appreciated one. If it's possible to be under-appreciated when you're in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and have sold hundreds of millions of albums.

Here's a taste of Gift of Screws, a jumpy live vid of Buckingham playing "Did You Miss Me?"
Old 12-10-2008, 08:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I usually don't post on here, you guys are too fast, but I think I have you beat on this one. The Duquense University (that's in Pittsburgh) newspaper just was doing a review of class rock and stuff, and LB got mentioned (if only in a paragraph lacking the album name.

It says
Lindsey Buckingham also has a power-hit under his puffy sleeves with "Love Runs Deeper" [sic] which sounds like it is fresh off a new Fleetwood Mac record. Probably because it will be. Rumors (get it, classic rock fans?) are circulating that Fleetwood Mac will be reunited and touring within the year, minus keyboard player Christine McVie.
No word yet on who will take her place as of yet. Early speculation cited Sheryl Crow as the runner up but after she prematurely announced the union to the press, Crow was immediately bumped off the project.
That's a shame because from what I heard, all she wanted ti do was have some fun. Maybe next holiday season, Sheryl.

(The article was last month, we'll forgive the tour stuff)
Okay, once you get around the glaring comma ommissions (I pointed out the first one that I caught and typed the rest as it appeard), and the fact that it misspelled Rumours, and the fact that they didn't mention the album, not to bad (espicially when you cosider that the previous paragraph was on AC/DC).
Old 12-10-2008, 09:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoS View Post
It says
Lindsey Buckingham also has a power-hit under his puffy sleeves
Oh, nice catch. Thanks for posting it! I wonder why they said Lindsey had puffy sleeves. I mean he does in that Dance promo picture from Rolling Stone. He's wearing an odd swash buckling shirt for that. But generally, his sleeves are not puffy.

Honestly, the whole concept of (1) a puffy shirt and (2) a low talker is pure genius. Larry David is my hero. I love him so much. I ought to rip down this Tusk poster and put up a picture of Larry.

But I don't want to be a pirate.

Michele
Old 12-11-2008, 08:49 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
Oh, nice catch. Thanks for posting it! I wonder why they said Lindsey had puffy sleeves. I mean he does in that Dance promo picture from Rolling Stone. He's wearing an odd swash buckling shirt for that. But generally, his sleeves are not puffy.
I think that they may have been referring to some '80's fashion fad. The beginning of the article was about that.

And who is Larry David?
Old 12-13-2008, 03:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Heres one I wrote for my school newspaper. I keep forgetting it exists. lol.

http://www.tantasqua.org/ths/docs/to...e3Edition2.pdf

Review
Old 12-13-2008, 04:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrislit18 View Post
Heres one I wrote for my school newspaper. I keep forgetting it exists. lol.
Great review and I love that you're probably introducing him to readers who never heard of him at all. Michele
Old 12-15-2008, 02:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Yahoo Picks the best albums of 2008

http://new.music.yahoo.com/blogs/yra...-200881-to-90/

#87. Gift Of Screws by Lindsey Buckingham

Released: September 16, 2008
Label: Reprise
Album Charts: #48 The Billboard 200, #48 Top Internet Albums

"We always secretly knew that Lindsey Buckingham was the most talented member of the infinitely talented Fleetwood Mac, and Gift Of Screws is more proof. This new solo effort builds upon his softer (and incredible) 2006 release Under The Skin. Gift of Screws makes it clear that Buckingham is not only a fountain of musical thoughts, but a musician who can execute on even the most challenging of ideas."
Old 12-18-2008, 02:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Edge New England, 2008 CD Gift Guide

http://www.edgenewengland.com/index....&sc3=&id=84778

Lindsey Buckingham; Gift of Screws

The Fleetwood Mac’s guitarist Lindsey Buckingham demonstrates he can still write strong songs that are daring, beautiful and musically fascinating. Brian Callaghan
Old 12-19-2008, 12:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Grand Junction Sentinel Best CDs of 2008, 12-18-08

http://www.gjsentinel.com/hp/content..._Rock_Col.html

Lindsey Buckingham, “Gift of Screws” — An introspective rock ’n’ roll record from the former and, I guess, future member of Fleetwood Mac. Buckingham has never sounded better on the guitar.
Old 12-22-2008, 01:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Bloomberg.com named it one of the best American CDs of 2008. Of course, they had Beyonce at number 1.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...njo&refer=muse

LINDSAY BUCKINGHAM, “GIFT OF SCREWS” (Reprise). Buckingham was always the most interesting of the Fleetwood Mac gang. “Did you miss me?” the guitarist sings in the song of the same name. Yes we have.
Old 12-24-2008, 03:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Long Beach Press Telegram, Top 10 CDs of the year:

http://www.presstelegram.com/news/ci_11299791

7. "Gift of Screws," Lindsey Buckingham: We are not apologetic about our liking of the brains behind Fleetwood Mac. We like the way he hollers, we like his passion, and if you got $10 for each rock guitarist who has more talent than Buckingham you won't be able to come up with cab fare to the nearest pizza place.
Old 12-24-2008, 05:13 PM
Senior Ledgie

The more I read these end of year reviews, the more depressed I become Perhaps it's because when I first heard songs such as RPTF and LRD I had secretly hoped that the entire world would be singing along to them, but alas....
Old 12-24-2008, 09:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.W-Suite View Post
The more I read these end of year reviews, the more depressed I become Perhaps it's because when I first heard songs such as RPTF and LRD I had secretly hoped that the entire world would be singing along to them, but alas....
It could be worse. We could be all alone. At least the critics agree with us, even if the record-buying world doesn't.

Michele
Old 12-25-2008, 10:30 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.W-Suite View Post
Depressed? It's a pretty great result. He's made quite a few lists in respectable positions. He was never going to have a "hit" album but was anyone really expecting him to?
Old 12-25-2008, 08:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Thumbs up Awesome

Lindsey's GOS is #1 on Dallas Observer's list of the 5 best rock albums from older folk in 2008

1. Lindsey Buckingham - Gift of Screws
The Fleetwood Mac guitarist/singer finally incorporates some of what made his band so great and produces his best solo effort. By far. Period. Of course, several members of Mac (not Stevie Nicks) make an appearance on Gift of Screws and songs like "Did You Miss Me" and "The Right Place to Fade" would not sound out of place on Rumours. What better recommendation is there than that?