The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Chit Chat
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 11-26-2010, 06:25 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default The Ashes are on...& I'm sure nobody cares.

Any other Brits or Aussies here? Anyone else on here know what cricket is?
Old 11-26-2010, 06:59 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Yep...
Melbourne all the way
Old 11-26-2010, 07:15 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Cricket is about as entertaining as watching John McCririck washing his boxer shorts.
Old 11-26-2010, 07:35 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Springs View Post
Cricket is about as entertaining as watching John McCririck washing his boxer shorts.
BRAIN BLEACH NEEDED. BRAIN BLEACH NEEDED.

I always liked playing Cricket in PE (Since it was a sport I was good at) but watching it...? Bores me to tears.

The only sport I can watch without being bored is Snooker. Oddly.

Old 11-26-2010, 07:53 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Yeah test cricket is kinda boring, i dont mind one dayers so much though.. Anyway im thinking the Aussie's are going to kick your Butt. hahaha just stiring!!!!!

Last edited by Aussie W/Heart; 11-26-2010 at 07:56 AM..
Old 11-26-2010, 08:18 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
BRAIN BLEACH NEEDED. BRAIN BLEACH NEEDED.

I always liked playing Cricket in PE (Since it was a sport I was good at) but watching it...? Bores me to tears.

The only sport I can watch without being bored is Snooker. Oddly.
Haha! You were lucky in the sense that you didn't have to suffer watching him during his appearance on British Big Brother. There's no amount of bleach that will wash away the image of him sat in nothing but his tighty whiteys, picking his nose. Seriously made me think about abandoning my sexuality lol...

The only thing I really enjoy about Snooker is playing it. And even that is because I am so bad at it that the recurring accidents and fumbles are amusing enough to see me through
Old 11-26-2010, 09:56 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Springs View Post
Hahaha, Cricket sounds like a thrill ride. On this side of the pond 90% of people don't know what it is. We have hockey...and um,,.....hockey.
Old 11-26-2010, 12:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

My grandparents were English and I was taught very early all about cricket (as well as rugby and football). I'm not too keen on test cricket, but I really hope England win The Ashes.
Old 11-27-2010, 07:29 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie W/Heart View Post
Yeah test cricket is kinda boring, i dont mind one dayers so much though.. Anyway im thinking the Aussie's are going to kick your Butt. hahaha just stiring!!!!!
Not mine! I'm from Scotland and live in australia so I support the aussies.

For the worlds second most popular sport after football it sure seems like there are some downers on here. Cricket is brilliant! You don't sit there staring at the screen with popcorn or whatever the hell you do other places. You just have it on the radio or in the background on the tv. It's like the tennis opens but with the great country rivalry.

I'm in heaven though because not only are the ashes on but australia is playing france in the rugby tomorrow morning so I'm set.

John McCririck is obviously very entertaining....actually he is kind of, in an embarassing/funny way.

I tried watching American hockey once (we onlyi have field hockey in the UK, very much reminds me of stupid private school rivalries and getting a sore back). I don't know how you can watch that! It's just some padded things that might be humans bumping into each other and an invisible ball that moves too quickly to for you to know where it went. And baseball......eh well we invented baseball and in my opinion gave america the crappier one and kept the good one for ourselves....and pretty much every other country. I don't get the hate for cricket.
Old 11-27-2010, 07:56 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I always pretend I don't really like cricket, but I end up watching way too much of it for that to be true....

There's been a great atmosphere here in Brisbane for the Ashes. I drove past the Gabba the other day and saw the Barmy Army's tour bus, an old London-style double decker - very cool

I'd say the Aussies look to have a slight upperhand after today - nice to see Hussey make 195
Old 11-27-2010, 12:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

So I'm the only England fan? Good.
Old 11-27-2010, 12:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I think i tried playing cricket in a high school gym class once. It lasted for one day before us primitive Americans decided it was too boring

In some ways, circket reminds me of a boring version of baseball, but what exactly is snooker?

You can add me on Facebook
Old 11-27-2010, 07:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissLadyLoki View Post
I think i tried playing cricket in a high school gym class once. It lasted for one day before us primitive Americans decided it was too boring

In some ways, circket reminds me of a boring version of baseball, but what exactly is snooker?
I think you're right. As someone who grew up playing softball, I've had too many Australians tell me that softball and baseball are 'boring'. How these people sit through five days of cricket I'll never know. I find cricket interesting enough, but you can't watch a game (certainly not a test) from start to finish. Playing cricket though is fun - mostly because you can never play for more than an hour or so at school

Someone else will have to explain snooker - my best answer would be that I know it's like pool, in that you poke some balls around a green table with a stick
Old 11-29-2010, 03:42 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Double posting, but I saw this article today and it made me think of this thread.

It's just not cricket, says American Ashes tweeter

AN American woman is stumped as to why she's become a hit among cricket fans worldwide - thanks to Twitter and the opening Ashes Test.

Cricket fans across England and Australia have turned to Twitter to share their thoughts on the Test series and have found @theashes on the social networking service.

The woman, from Westfield, Massachusetts, writes mostly about knitting and her toddler, but it hasn't stopped hundreds of people from sending her messages and asking for score updates.

At first she was amused by the sudden attention, but it quickly lost its novelty.

"I am not a cricket match. Stop mentioning me and check profiles before you send messages. It's really annoying," she wrote.

But her irritation only prompted others to re-tweet her comments to hundreds more.

The teasing spread fast with Twitter users encouraging others to follower her to get the latest Ashes updates.

She now has more than 4100 followers - up from a few hundred people before the Ashes series began - and her frustration is clearly evident: "I AM NOT A FREAKING CRICKET MATCH!!!"

Cricket tweeters, however, are urging the woman to accept her fate as a new icon.

"It seems to have caught on! Your chance to influence thousands of people," one wrote.

"You're very popular, m'dear!" wrote another.

At the very least, the Twitter trend is a chance to teach Americans a thing or two about cricket.

One of her latest posts shows she now has a few questions about the game.

"What the hell is a wicket?" she pondered.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/...-1225962676606

And now this. It's turning out quite nicely for her

Qantas offers 'theashes' Twitter woman a free flight to Australia

A US woman with the Twitter name theashes who was bombarded by messages about cricket was offered a free flight to Australia and started selling her own commemorative T-shirt on Monday.

The Massachusetts woman, who usually tweets about knitting and the Glee TV show, was the subject of a Twitter campaign, -gettheashestotheashes, after snapping at microblogs about the Ashes series between Australia and England.

"I AM NOT A FREAKING CRICKET MATCH!!!'' read an exasperated message on Saturday. "This is not the account of the cricket match. Check profiles before you send mentions, it's incredibly annoying and rude.''

However, theashes, whose real name is unknown, later softened her tone, inquiring "what the hell is a wicket?'' and admitting she didn't know whether to support Australia or England.

By Monday, theashes was offering a self-designed T-shirt for $US19.90 ($A20.68) at www.spreadshirt.com, with the slogan "I am not a freaking cricket match!!'' with proceeds to -gettheashestotheashes.

"I hope no one is offended by me making T-shirts,'' she tweeted. "I probably make two cents a shirt. I'm not trying to get rich, just have fun.''

Meanwhile -gettheashestotheashes sparked a torrent of interest with Qantas offering a free flight from New York, as Ashes sponsor Vodafone pledged free tickets and a phone and a Ford dealer stumped up a car for her use.

theashes, who has sent nearly 9000 tweets about work and daily life, wrote that she was considering Qantas's offer but she also wanted a ticket for her boyfriend. The Ashes series runs until January 7.

"Okay, this has been insane. I'm exhausted,'' she wrote finally. "Howzat. I'm off to bed. See you tomorrow.''

Cricket fans had mistakenly included her Twitter name on their messages instead of -theashes or -ashes, which are used by contributors microblogging about the series.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/w...-1225962891981
Old 11-29-2010, 04:47 AM
Addicted Ledgie

CreepingDeath,
Although I'm an Aussie (full blood, I might add) I support the Brits. Partly becuase in primary school I just wanted to annoy everyone that like sport (people that I didnt like)