The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Chit Chat
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 01-12-2004, 01:28 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Thumbs up There are good people in this world.....

OK, I just had to tell you guys this story....It happened two days ago, and I was blown away by it...

My grandmother's brother is in Cuba, he recently had a stroke, and is now blind because of complications....mind you, he just turned 97...Well, he needs a wheelchair to get around, but of course, Cuba doesn't give these types of things to the ones who need them (most of these items are considered objects of "wealth" and are only given to communist loyalist anyways).

So, my grandmother's cousin is going to Cuba, and offered to take a wheelchair if she could get one. So, my grandma went to the Medical Supplies store with me...and asked the guy for a standard wheelchair and the price was $700. Well, my grandma agreed, and the guy asked for what purpose...so my grandmother told him the whole story....by the end of the story, he took my grandmother by the hand, with tears in his eyes, and told her she was not going to pay a penny for the wheelchair, and gave it to us for free. Of course, my grandmother and I got very emotional, and thanked the man repeatedly...I dont think he'll ever know how much that act of kindness touched my whole family.

The only reason I posted this post, is because I wanted to share with you that great actions are made everyday, and I just experienced one....Hope this makes your day a little brighter...

~Alex

Old 01-12-2004, 01:38 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Wow!! That is a fantastic story, thanks for sharing it! I like hearing stories like this, it reminds me that there is still good in the world and that there are good people in the world
Old 01-12-2004, 01:40 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

That is a truly wonderful random act of kindness. Thank you for posting it.
Old 01-12-2004, 01:42 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Heart

That's really a great story...thanks for sharing
Old 01-12-2004, 10:32 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Thanks for sharing.
Dissention, I think we found an inspiring post for you.

- Jake
Old 01-12-2004, 10:48 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by DrummerDeanna
Wow!! That is a fantastic story, thanks for sharing it! I like hearing stories like this, it reminds me that there is still good in the world and that there are good people in the world

I couldn't have said it better myself!

~~Don't compromise yourself. You're all you've got.~~ Janis Joplin
Old 01-12-2004, 01:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Heart

Thank you for posting this story. It gave me chills. Sometimes its so easy to write this world off as cold and cruel but it warms my heart to know that there are good people still out there.

"Everyone born in the month of February thinks they are right!" Quote from a lady at the table next to us at Don Pablo's!!

http://www.myspace.com/catherinetuliano
Old 01-12-2004, 01:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

save the cheerleader - save the world
Old 01-12-2004, 05:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Thanks for the responces, everyone. The story i thought didn't do the action any justice. It was just such a random act, it almost blew me away.

Its hard for me, because alot of my relatives are sick and in need of help and there is nothing I can do about it....Thats probably why I could never go to Cuba. I'd be too angry to go. I'd be so overwhelmed by it all. Its hard to have family 90 miles away, imprisoned in an island. Alot of people could never understand why Cubans would risk 5 days on a raft to get to Miami....this is why....there is no electricity, BARELY any food, and you are forced to attend the son of a bitch's political rallies (Castro). Frankly I feel for them all, and this is why I felt for the Iraqi people...alot of people do not know what it is like to have alll their freedoms taken away. My family is living it, everyday. And it kills me, knowing that my family's hands rests in the grip of a dictator.

~Alex

Old 01-12-2004, 07:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Alex, that is such a great story. It is such a nice thing to hear about good things that people do instead of all of the horrible news that we always hear about.
Old 01-12-2004, 10:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Re: There are good people in this world.....

Quote:
Originally posted by greatdarkwing
OK, I just had to tell you guys this story....It happened two days ago, and I was blown away by it...

My grandmother's brother is in Cuba, he recently had a stroke, and is now blind because of complications....mind you, he just turned 97...Well, he needs a wheelchair to get around, but of course, Cuba doesn't give these types of things to the ones who need them (most of these items are considered objects of "wealth" and are only given to communist loyalist anyways).

So, my grandmother's cousin is going to Cuba, and offered to take a wheelchair if she could get one. So, my grandma went to the Medical Supplies store with me...and asked the guy for a standard wheelchair and the price was $700. Well, my grandma agreed, and the guy asked for what purpose...so my grandmother told him the whole story....by the end of the story, he took my grandmother by the hand, with tears in his eyes, and told her she was not going to pay a penny for the wheelchair, and gave it to us for free. Of course, my grandmother and I got very emotional, and thanked the man repeatedly...I dont think he'll ever know how much that act of kindness touched my whole family.

The only reason I posted this post, is because I wanted to share with you that great actions are made everyday, and I just experienced one....Hope this makes your day a little brighter...

~Alex
That...was awesome.

Rob

"The biggest conspiracy has always been the fact that there is no conspiracy. Nobody's out to get you. Nobody gives a sh*t whether you live or die. There, you feel better now? "

"(Sept. 11) was a big thing for me. I was saying to liberal America, "Well, what are you offering?" And they said, "Well, we're not going to protect you, and we want some more money." That didn't interest me."
- Dennis Miller
Old 01-13-2004, 12:37 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Talking

I love that, and what a sweetie that guy was! That made my day!

(referring to the "Death Star" laser)
Dr. Evil- "...I thought we'd name it in his honor: The Alan Parsons Project."
Scott- "The Alan Parsons Project was a progressive rock band from 1982. Why don't you just name it Operation Wang Chung?"