View Poll Results: Think About Me - Which Version is Your favorite
Studio 11 52.38%
2/18/79 5 23.81%
Other 5 23.81%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-25-2018, 07:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Think About Me - Which Version

Which one do you prefer? Or is there another?

Old 05-25-2018, 11:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

There is another version (it might be the single version) where the harmonies are much stronger and that is my favorite. I'll see if I can find it. UPDATE: I found the single version and I like the harmonies much better on this mix. Especially in the "I don't hold you down" part.
listen at the 1:30 mark, clearly different.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBL2BDOBAAI

Last edited by secondhandchain; 05-25-2018 at 11:51 PM..
Old 05-25-2018, 11:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

My favorite is the one commonly referred to as the "duet version." Lindsey and Christine trade vocals. I think having it be a duet adds an interesting layer to the song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbojPE0Xulc

Old 05-26-2018, 12:03 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondhandchain View Post
There is another version (it might be the single version) where the harmonies are much stronger and that is my favorite. I'll see if I can find it. UPDATE: I found the single version and I like the harmonies much better on this mix. Especially in the "I don't hold you down" part.
i have Tusk remastered 2 CD from like early 2000s maybe? i have to check. not the album / studio version but the alternate version there is my favorite.

EDIT: the version Nancy shared above might be it!

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 05-26-2018, 01:58 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondhandchain View Post
I swear on my mother's grave, that this version is sped up. Drives me crazy! Radio stations do that, too, for more commercial time. TAM is one of my all time favorite FM songs, and it kills me that the beat is sped up on this. Like talking to a crack whore.
Old 05-26-2018, 04:09 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Both are good. I like the single version better. Its more polished and I usually prefer the rough cuts. But this time I vote single.
IMHO if this was the first single from Tusk it would have made the top 10 and they would have sold many more albums. This is the most radio friendly song on the album. Tusk made the top 10 from the limelight of Rumours and the Mac's first song since that album. But its not a mainstay of classic rock songs on stations today. I just think this song sounds very traditional Fleetwood Mac and would have blunted criticism the band got when Tusk was released.
Old 05-26-2018, 06:10 AM
Ledgie

The single version is sped up and a slightly different mix. I prefer it to all other versions of the song. It is one of Christine's best rockers and a great example of how LB enhanced her songs back in their heyday.
Old 05-26-2018, 09:16 AM
Addicted Ledgie

By accident I hit “other”. But the 2/79 version is my favorite. Her voice is strong sans the double tracking and reverb, and the whole effect of her and Stevie singing together gives this a cool, tough, girl pop quality. I also love hearing the organ instead of the crunching guitar during the instrumental break.
Old 05-26-2018, 01:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
By accident I hit “other”. But the 2/79 version is my favorite. Her voice is strong sans the double tracking and reverb, and the whole effect of her and Stevie singing together gives this a cool, tough, girl pop quality. I also love hearing the organ instead of the crunching guitar during the instrumental break.
Heard the 2/18/79 version on the FM Sirius channel and it really got my attention on how different it was from what ended up on the record. A lot of it has to do with what you stated. It has a looser, less structured sound to it. I'd say more melodic and not as driven as the studio version. And I love how Chris accentuates the "Think About Me" part differently. Overall there is more inflection in her voice throughout the song too. I think it is my favorite from what I've heard so far. But I also wanted to really gather how many different versions of the song were out there.
Old 05-26-2018, 01:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
Both are good. I like the single version better. Its more polished and I usually prefer the rough cuts. But this time I vote single.
IMHO if this was the first single from Tusk it would have made the top 10 and they would have sold many more albums. This is the most radio friendly song on the album. Tusk made the top 10 from the limelight of Rumours and the Mac's first song since that album. But its not a mainstay of classic rock songs on stations today. I just think this song sounds very traditional Fleetwood Mac and would have blunted criticism the band got when Tusk was released.
I was thinking how this is probably the one song of hers that was more in line with the traditional sound of Rumours as opposed to the overall theme of Tusk. Interesting point you made in how releasing this song as the first single could have changed the perception and sales of Tusk. But then again it was not what the band(Lindsey) wanted to do. The whole idea was to reinvent themselves and show that they didn't have to stick to a particular style of music.
Old 05-26-2018, 02:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwd View Post
I was thinking how this is probably the one song of hers that was more in line with the traditional sound of Rumours as opposed to the overall theme of Tusk. Interesting point you made in how releasing this song as the first single could have changed the perception and sales of Tusk. But then again it was not what the band(Lindsey) wanted to do. The whole idea was to reinvent themselves and show that they didn't have to stick to a particular style of music.
Imagine the reaction if they had followed that trend by releasing 'That's Alright' as the first single from Mirage to draw in the country/western crowd.

It could have been backed by Cool Water which was the B-side to Gypsy.

Last edited by Dr.Brown; 05-26-2018 at 02:31 PM..
Old 05-26-2018, 03:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Brown View Post
Imagine the reaction if they had followed that trend by releasing 'That's Alright' as the first single from Mirage to draw in the country/western crowd.

It could have been backed by Cool Water which was the B-side to Gypsy.
That would have never happened. They never wanted to draw in the country crowd. Plus Warner Brothers did not want another Tusk. Thus Mirage is pure pop greatness with tons of radio friendly songs. When you listen to Hold Me and Love In Store they are instant hits from the first time you hear them.
Old 05-26-2018, 03:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwd View Post
Oh I agree. The record label and the band let Lindsey do lots of things during Tusk. The tracking on Tusk makes it sound quirkier than it really is which was another Lindsey ploy to annoy Warner Brothers. Having said all that Think About Me would have helped sell more albums. This is just my opinion so there is no way to be sure. Just try to imagine you never heard anything from Tusk and you play the album the first time. Think About Me jumps out as a hit song record. Even Sara was daring due to the length and intricacy of the song.
Old 05-26-2018, 03:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
That would have never happened. They never wanted to draw in the country crowd. Plus Warner Brothers did not want another Tusk. Thus Mirage is pure pop greatness with tons of radio friendly songs. When you listen to Hold Me and Love In Store they are instant hits from the first time you hear them.
I agree, it never would have happened and was not who they wanted to target but it still would have been interesting to see fan/public reaction in the wake of the whole "Urban Cowboy" thing. Lots of bands back then were hopping on crazy trends. An example - ELO got into the disco trend with their '79 album "Discovery" aka "Disco Very".

Old 05-26-2018, 03:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

The record company picks the single not LB. Warners picked Tusk to lead off.