Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 09-30-2002, 11:13 AM
Senior Ledgie

Question Everywhere (VIDEO)

Anyone ever wonder...Whats The point????..

Last edited by thewhitewingedd; 01-18-2007 at 06:55 PM..
Old 09-30-2002, 02:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I agree. It's a great song, but a terrible video. It's probably the worst video that Fleetwood Mac ever did. I don't think it was ever released in the U.S., only in Europe.
Old 09-30-2002, 04:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Arrow I've never...

...actually seen it, nor have I read a consistant explanation of what's this about. Apparently neither Lindsey nor Stevie were involved in this video, but I haven't ever heard another description of it. Does that transform it into a "rare item"? I don't think we'll be seeing it in the new enchaned CD either.

Song of the moment - Man Of The World
Old 09-30-2002, 05:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

The video got A LOT of playing back in '88...I distinctly remember it was a HUGE thing back then when Fleetwood Mac didn't turn up to "Top Of The Pops" even though their song was played...the only other group which had done that back then was M/A/R/R/S (with "Pump Up The Volume").....in both cases they ended up having to play the videos instead...!

Old 09-30-2002, 05:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

So what is it like? Someone told me that it was just taken straight from the TITN live concert video (those clips mixed into Everywhere of them rehearsing or something also contains the only shots I've ever seen of Stevie smoking!).
Old 09-30-2002, 06:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

The best way to describe it, is "strange goings-on at an old English manor."

There seems to be some kind of illicit love affair going on between what appears to be a peasant and a noble, in perhaps the 17th or 18th century.
In some ways, its reminiscent of Mick's video for "I Want You Back" (though I'm not sure how many people have seen that one either).

There are infrequent glimpses of Christine, Mick, & John throughout the video... mostly in silhouette.

There's a very weird twist at the end, where a modern car drives up the road, and its headlights shine on the manor.
I guess this is to signify that what we've been seeing have been the spirits still residing there, perpetually acting out their fates... but it comes off rather anachronistic.

Johnny Stew
Old 09-30-2002, 07:14 PM
Senior Ledgie

I caught the end of the video on sunday afternoon (muchmoremusic)

I was pissed that i didnt tune in a bit earlier.

From what i saw...it didn't look too bad.

Is it because the band members aren't in it, that it's getting a bad rap?
Old 09-30-2002, 09:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

It's just a dramatization of that old poem 'The Highwayman'. Even the very beginning, the camera moves across the page of a book, where the text is the opening line of the poem, something like "The wind was gusty across the moors etc"
I swear John/Mick/Christine aren't in it:s I better look more closely.
I always though the car scene at the end redeemed an otherwise uninspired hack video concept. It is clever though how they worked in Christine's lyrics "Can you hear me calling out your name" with the storyline of the waitress trying to tell the Highwayman not to return to the trap. Plus the gunshot coinciding with Mick's 'added rhythm' drum beat.
Either ways - weird indeed
But better than the cartoon ones you get these days when the band isn't/can't be bothered to be in it. Lol, theres's something, an FM video with cartoon characters - and they can make Lindsey's cartoon character really bad lip syncher!
Old 09-30-2002, 10:59 PM
thewhitewingedd
This message has been deleted by thewhitewingedd.
Old 10-01-2002, 03:01 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by Johnny Stew
There are infrequent glimpses of Christine, Mick, & John throughout the video... mostly in silhouette.
Johnny Stew
actually, there are TWO versions of this video, the one i have as mpeg is WITHOUT the silhouettes on the sides of the screen.
i think this video is crappy and incoherent in both versions.
by the way, apparently, mac members don't seem to like making videos that much, there are a few more videos which were made without the appearance of the band or some of it's members: paper doll, love shines, family man...

somewhere deep in the middle of the night baby, i think about you!!! she says somewhere deep in the middle of the night my baby, i think about you!!!! she says i know what it sounds liiike! i know what it sounds liiiiiiiiiiike, i know what it sounds like, it sounds like youuuuuuuuuu!!!!!!
Old 10-01-2002, 10:20 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Is there really a video for Family Man? I thought I had all the videos but I've never even heard of a video for this song.
Old 10-01-2002, 10:29 AM
Addicted Ledgie

The video for Family Man is pretty silly. They took old black and white footage of people doing...basically anything...and intermixed it with footage from the Seven Wonders video. Of course, you never actually see Lindsey singing the song because they don't have footage of it. Very bizarre.
Old 10-01-2002, 02:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

It's just a prime example of how "video killed the radio star." Videos are SO influential to the song being a hit at times, and Fleetwood Mac and its members are just more radio stars...they are musicians. They don't really go out and do other things like J-Lo (not that I'm saying she IS a musician, lol), or like Cher or Madonna who both were actresses. Fleetwood Mac, I think, just wants to do what they do best -- make music -- and keep out of the other stuff. However, they do videos because you HAVE to do videos these days. Stevie's videos were always very basic...just her in some strange atmosphere usually singing into the mic or dancing or whatever, and then later pretty much just gave up and just taped live videos. The only videos I really give credit for as being creative videos are Gypsy, Big Love, and Rooms on Fire. All other Stevie and Fleetwood Mac videos, as a said, just tend to place them in some sort of environment and show them singing. Hold Me -- the desert, singing. Stop Draggin -- some type of studio place, singing. Stand Back, If Anyone Falls, I Can't Wait, Talk to Me -- in some obscure room(s), singing. Little Lies -- the farm, singing. Seven Wonders -- a stage, singing. As Long as You Follow -- a hotel room, singing (although this one involves a little more externally). Gypsy, Big Love, and Rooms Are Fire get into the nature of the song more. I actually wish Stevie would have kept the Civil War Stand Back video...it's a little more creative. As for Every Day, only Everywhere beats this for a totally obscure video, no idea what it's got to do with anything. I'm not bashing the members at all, but I think the reason they DON'T do elaborate videos is because they don't really care to. They worry about the music. Unfortunately, videos have too much influence at times. Honestly, would Thriller (the song) have been THAT big if it wasn't for the video? Maybe, but I don't see how. It's such a strange song, and it may have been a hit without the video, but that video just completely killed any competition at the time. So that's my take on videos and Fleetwood Mac. Questions, comments?