Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 10-10-2006, 01:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Babs, you rebel!

http://www.cnn.com/2006/SHOWBIZ/Musi....ap/index.html

Quote:
Streisand to heckler: 'Shut the @#&% up'

NEW YORK (AP) -- It was an evening that elicited tears, standing ovations, raucous laughter and shouts of joy from the audience -- and that was just in the first few minutes.

Yes, Barbra Streisand's return to touring after a 12-year absence was the extravaganza that it promised to be. Monday night's show at Madison Square Garden was the third stop of a 20-city jaunt across the nation -- a virtual lovefest between the ultimate diva and an adoring, sold-out, celebrity-dotted crowd.

Streisand effortlessly crooned through a select repertoire of the hits she's amassed during her four-decade-plus career. But the night's most riveting moment came during what was perhaps the only unscripted -- and truly uncomfortable -- episode in the three-hour show.

There was Streisand, enduring a smattering of very loud jeers as she and "George Bush" -- a celebrity impersonator -- muddled through a skit that portrayed the president as a bumbling idiot.

Though most of the crowd offered polite applause during the slightly humorous routine, it got a bit too long, especially for a few in the audience who just wanted to hear Streisand sing like she had been doing for the past hour.

"Come on, be polite!" the well-known liberal implored during the sketch as she and "Bush" exchanged zingers. But one heckler wouldn't let up. And finally, Streisand let him have it.

"Shut the (expletive) up!" Streisand bellowed, drawing wild applause. "Shut up if you can't take a joke!"

With that one F-word, the jeers ended. And the message was delivered -- no one gets away with trying to upstage Barbra Streisand, especially not in her hometown.

Once the outburst (which Streisand later apologized for) was over, Streisand noted that "the artist's role is to disturb," and delivered a message of tolerance before launching into a serenely beautiful rendition of "Somewhere." That put the focus back on what the audience came for -- her voice, one of the greatest female instruments of her generation.

Streisand's voice, at once soaring and soothing, doesn't seem to have been affected much by her long layoff from performing. Earlier in the evening, she seemed to fall short of her full potential -- moments where she once belted a tune she now seemed to simply sing at a steady register. But once the evening progressed, she got stronger, such as for her performance of one of her biggest hits, "People."
Old 10-10-2006, 02:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

oh lordy. that's fuel to the fire for sure.

I love me some Barbra, but sometimes, like the Dixie Chicks' song says..."shut up and sing" - I mean I'm torn about how I feel about this aspect of my beloved...but sometimes enough is enough. don't polute the concert with politics...that's what I'm sayin

now, I'm off to find the setlist and see if I can scurry boots.
Old 10-10-2006, 02:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

^ I tend to agree. I wouldn't be real happy if Lindsey busted out with a political skit on his tour, regardless of whether or not I agree with him.

But it is pretty funny that she said that.
Old 10-10-2006, 02:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Imagine being the dude who will now live his life knowing that Babs told him to "shut the **** up!" Priceless.

Of course if he's that big an ass to a huge celebrity as her - and in front of a mass of people then perhaps he's a massive ass who needs to be knocked down a few.

I'm torn about the politics mix as well - but I guess these people feel so passionately about what they believe and have the means to spread that message to huge crowds...I guess they take it.

BUT then again, these people paid out their asses to hear her sing...perhaps she should leave it to brief commentary and be done with it
Old 10-10-2006, 02:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

My problem with this is it sounds like it was a bad skit. If you're going to pull something like that - make it good!
Old 10-10-2006, 02:19 PM
Banned

The political commentary isn't surprising considering the reasoning behind this tour. She's always been one to put her views out there, whether people want to hear them or not. I'm thinking that those who coughed up a lot of money to see her probably already know what to expect though. Preach it Babs!
Old 10-10-2006, 02:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

http://news.search.yahoo.com/search/...&c=news_photos

Barbra's looking awesome!

EDIT: I hate the construction of her outfit...and the pockets!? wtf. no no no. BUT, her razor cut is off da hizzy.

Last edited by JazmenFlowers; 10-10-2006 at 02:39 PM..
Old 10-10-2006, 02:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I have the initial setlist if anyone wants it, PM me. there's some that have brought tears to these eyes.
Old 10-10-2006, 02:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Exclamation Oh me oh my...

she knows how to say "f**k"...Well imagine that. I am impressed...

No, not really, Never impressed.

"To acknowledge death is to accept freedom and responsibility."

"Fleetwood Mac and its fans remind me of a toilet plunger...keep bringing up old sh*t..."
Old 10-10-2006, 04:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazmenFlowers View Post
oh lordy. that's fuel to the fire for sure.

I love me some Barbra, but sometimes, like the Dixie Chicks' song says..."shut up and sing" - I mean I'm torn about how I feel about this aspect of my beloved...but sometimes enough is enough. don't polute the concert with politics...that's what I'm sayin

now, I'm off to find the setlist and see if I can scurry boots.
I agree 100%. I've been a fan for 11 years and my mother and I are going to the Atlanta show Nov.2. Since we have never seen her and we had the opportunity we bought the best they had, which means $1500 was spent on 2 tickets. Worth it in our opinion, but I really wish she would leave politics at the door step. If I wanted her political opinion I would go to her offical website and read her blog. But in no way will I let her political sketch keep me form going, I just wish she would rethink it.

"I always return here..."
Old 10-10-2006, 04:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwistedGypsy View Post
But in no way will I let her political sketch keep me form going, I just wish she would rethink it.
yeah.

or at least keep it to a minimum...don't make it "part" of the concert. we all know she's outspoken and all that jazz (he he), but let's have a good time and enjoy the songs...you know.
Old 10-10-2006, 05:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Boy that's really a nice way to treat someone that spent probably upwards of $700 for a ticket. Depends on what the person said, but if it wasnt profane, I dont get her anger?
Old 10-10-2006, 05:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidMn View Post
Boy that's really a nice way to treat someone that spent probably upwards of $700 for a ticket. Depends on what the person said, but if it wasnt profane, I dont get her anger?
wow. you have raised another great point. I must contemplate this un momento.
Old 10-10-2006, 05:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazmenFlowers View Post
wow. you have raised another great point. I must contemplate this un momento.
wont slam her here because I know how big a fan you are, but I dont think much of her as a person. Mega bitch comes to mind. But oh that voice....
Old 10-10-2006, 05:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidMn View Post
wont slam her here because I know how big a fan you are, but I dont think much of her as a person. Mega bitch comes to mind. But oh that voice....
well don't mind lil ole me. you say how you feel.

I, again, am torn. I think she's a bitch, a perfectionist and all that, I also know all the great things she's done for charities and all that too. so, I just prefer to not really care one way or the other about her personal life...not like I am with Stevie. for me, with Barbra, it's the albums and the movies...