Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Chit Chat
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 02-08-2006, 10:23 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Still Not Smoking and Other Things

Not that anyone has asked , but I still haven't had a cigarette and it's been 6 weeks, 1 day (no, I'm not a freak- I have one of those Quit Meter things that tells me this.

It's been really hard. I am (was) a 20+ year hardcore smoker. My husband and I almost killed each other about 3 weeks ago (he quit too). I would say it was one of the bigger fights we've had in our 10 years together . We both did smoke that night (he had a whole one and I had 3 drags) but I think it's safe to say that we're winning this battle.

Between quitting smoking and the holidays, I realized I gained 15 lbs! So my mother and I joined Weight Watchers 2 weeks ago. I've lost 3.6 lbs so far and my mom has lost almost 5! My goal is to lose 15 lbs and get back to 130 and my mother is trying to lose 60 lbs. This has really helped with the quitting smoking because now instead of cigarettes, I'm thinking about food all the time! When I look at how I'm eating now, I can't believe the way I had been eating for the past few years. You know how people say, "I just eat whatever I want, whenever I want..."? Well, that really was me. I would never deny myself anything. If I wanted to eat something, I would. If I wanted to eat WAY TOO MUCH of something, I would. There has never been any kind of limit set on eating. Amazing. On the one hand, I've been able to spend many years enjoying fabulous, fatty, rich foods. On the other, I have a taste for that kind of food, which makes it extremely hard to change. But, I think quitting smoking prepared me for anything. If I can quit smoking, I can do anything.

Part of me feels weird not smoking and eating well. I feel like a traitor to the type of person I've always seen myself as. Like, as if becoming a healthy person is betraying the "real" me. That's hilarious. And stupid. I have a feeling that eventually, I am going to feel great about all this, physically as well as mentally.

Anyway, I just wanted to share that with everyone. Kind of a long and boring post, but if anyone is thinking of quitting smoking and would like some support, please PM me anytime.
Old 02-08-2006, 10:29 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Well, I am so proud of you! You had a rocky start but have made it so far. Congratulations! The hardest part is over.

It really is hard to change your eating habits but good for you for tackling them. You really will feel a lot better. I'm amazed that you are doing that so soon after quitting!

Sorry to hear about your fight with your husband. That is sort of inevitable with you both quitting at the same time. Hopefully you've made up! Nice work, now go get yourself something fabulous!
Old 02-08-2006, 10:38 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Congratulations! You've already accomplished a lot. My dad quit chewing tobacco about a year ago, after using for almost 25 years non-stop. I mean, the only time he wasn't chewing was when he was eating or sleeping. If he can do it, anyone can. Keep up the great work.
Old 02-08-2006, 10:40 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Way to go, yo. I've officially had one cigarette in the last 34 hours and I am not a happy camper. I caved yesterday afternoon, realizing I hadn't had a "last" cigarette.

Weight Watchers is such a great program. There are a lot of great online resources for the program- the forums on weightwatchers.com are really helpful, and everyone should have www.dwlz.com bookmarked- she compiles points values for almost every chain restaurant you can think of.

Good luck!!
Old 02-08-2006, 10:46 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Here is what it calculated for me:

1883 weeks, 6 days, 9 hours, 42 minutes, 43 seconds

But then again, I never smoked. I am a milkaholic instead.

Watching the drama of the Ledge since 2001.
Old 02-08-2006, 10:54 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Congratulations! It sounds like you are making some very postive choices with your life. Keep up the good work.
Old 02-08-2006, 11:28 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Fighting foh the Nohthun Stah...NO SPEED LIMIT! BITCH! THIS IS THE FAST LANE!!!

That wasn't boring at all. You may not believe me, but I was actually thinking about you and Sara1998 yesterday, and I was going to ask about it.

First, let me just say:
And - way to go, Haley, if you can go another few days, i'm sure you'll get it. I've always found the first 4-8 hours the hardest.

Congrats on your weight loss as well.

Now the part where I kind of talk about myself. hee.
I quit December 6th, so I guess that's about 8 weeks. I didn't gain weight, I was actually less hungry after I quit smoking. But I already had weight to lose. I've lost about five lbs. The thing I looked forward to the most about quitting smoking was being able to exercise more. Right around the time I quit, my right leg got a severe pain thing in my hip/butt joint. I still have it. So I cut the hill thing to only once or twice a week, instead doing yoga and extra sets of "weights" at home (sit ups, push ups, calf ups, butt ups) - but that's not as cardiovascular or as fun as hiking. So that's been a bit disappointing, but not too bad - I realized if I hit the ibuprofen pretty hard, the hike is no prob. My eating is healthier, but I haven't made any drastic calorie reductions. I've been keeping track of my calories every day, and am sometimes able to keep it around 1400 (ideal), but more often it's 1500-1900. I try to do the trade in exercise since that is easier for me than dieting. I have cut my meat to almost none and added vegetable and nut servings, and I'm proud of that.

It is weird to think of yourself differently, isn't it? I've been making a point of consciously thinking of myself as the new type of person. You know, instead of being slacker-girl-who-likes-to drink-and-smoke (but still exercise)-and-is-poor in my head, I'm girl-with-goals-who-can-accomplish-things-and-be-fit-and-healthy.
Oh, and I've only drank 3 times since then as well. I've had cigarette those times, too - there was no subsequent backsliding.

I'm so very proud of you, quitting after 20 years is amazing. I only smoked 10, and in some ways didn't totally think of myself as a smoker.
Oh, have you been setting aside like 5-10 bucks a week? You know, the amount you spent on cigarettes? I totally wanted to do that but am way too poor. I think it would be cool, though - you'd have an extra 5-800 dollars a year to treat yourself.

gah, blah blah! gotta go - I'm starting my stupid internship that I have to complete for school today - 10 hours per week volunteering at earthjustice. It's cool, but now I have a whole extra job that I don't get paid for, and I have to wake up two hours earlier almost every day of the week. At least it's at earthjustice. I would have felt bad about working there if I still smoked. and it's also an extra 40 blocks to ride my bike every day, so that's good. I guess.

Whehyll I can do EHYT!! Wehyll I can make it WAHN moh thihme! (wheyllit'sA reayllongwaytogooo! To say goodbhiiy!) -
Old 02-08-2006, 11:45 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by amber
That wasn't boring at all. You may not believe me, but I was actually thinking about you and Sara1998 yesterday, and I was going to ask about it.
Well... I quit on September 8, 2005. It's been 21 weeks, 6 days, 13 hours, 39 minutes, 13 seconds. I've given up 4,607 cigarettes and have saved $691.05! Amazing, I say. Jannie... I almost feel like a traitor myself. But, I'm a traitor who can now do 3 flights of stairs multiple times a day, and 20 minutes of cardio every night. Don't sound like much? When I first started the cardio, I couldn't get past the first 10 minutes. After I quit and the holidays, I realized I put on around 20 lbs. I'm kinda heavy to begin with, so it's 20 lbs. I can't put on. I started eating so much more healthier, and I'm not buying fast food for lunch, I'm not drinking soda. I feel great. I have saved so much money between quitting smoking and quitting fast food. I don't know if I've really lost any weight... but I really am trying. Keep up the good work, everyone who has quit. And Hayley, stick with it. It's well worth the effort and bitchiness....
Old 02-08-2006, 12:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzeQuze
It really is hard to change your eating habits but good for you for tackling them. You really will feel a lot better. I'm amazed that you are doing that so soon after quitting!
I really felt like I had to, and initially it was dreadful. I ended up really sick and when I told my doctor that I had quit smoking AND had just joined Weight Watchers, she felt so sorry for me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzeQuze
Sorry to hear about your fight with your husband. That is sort of inevitable with you both quitting at the same time. Hopefully you've made up!
We did- that night. It was just a major blow up on both of our parts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayley
Way to go, yo. I've officially had one cigarette in the last 34 hours and I am not a happy camper. I caved yesterday afternoon, realizing I hadn't had a "last" cigarette.
Hayley, I am SO feeling for you right now. I had to use the nicotine patch for the first 2 weeks or I think I would have lost my mind. It *does* get better. Even now, 6 weeks in, I'm still craving a cigarette. But I'm not alternating between suicide and homicide when I think of a cigarette now. PLEASE hang in there!

Quote:
The thing I looked forward to the most about quitting smoking was being able to exercise more.
I wish I could adequately express how foreign exercise is to me. My husband, step-son and I went on a very brisk 30 minute walk the other night, and it *did* feel good. Plus, I got three extra WW points to use (which I didn't, thank you very much). I'm really looking forward to the day when it (exercise) becomes fun for me. Or when those endorphins kick in, and I actually crave the exercise. That may happen, right? I will say that even though my legs and butt were killing me from the walk, I was *not* winded- yay!

Quote:
Oh, have you been setting aside like 5-10 bucks a week? You know, the amount you spent on cigarettes?
Oh Amber, you are so precious. $5-$10/week? Try $21 a week. One pack a day at $3/pack. EVERY DAY. For now, I'm spending part of it on Weight Watchers ($10 a week). I just can't even believe I have spent so much money on cigarettes in my lifetime. The husband and I are trying to plan for a little trip for ourselves. We never took a honeymoon (when we married 5 years ago) so we're thinking somewhere tropical.

Thank you to EVERYONE who offered support and congratulations- I really, REALLY appreciate it .
Old 02-08-2006, 12:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jannieC
Hayley, I am SO feeling for you right now. I had to use the nicotine patch for the first 2 weeks or I think I would have lost my mind. It *does* get better. Even now, 6 weeks in, I'm still craving a cigarette. But I'm not alternating between suicide and homicide when I think of a cigarette now. PLEASE hang in there!
I smoke about five packs a week, whatever that equates to per day, but I've only been smoking that much for a couple of years. The physical cravings aren't bothering me so much- it's the behavior. I'm used to lighting up when I'm in the car, I'm used to taking my smoke breaks downstairs (the only thing that has kept me sane here at work for awhile)... we'll see how it goes. I just kinda decided a couple days ago that I wasn't going to buy any more. I think I'll be able to keep off them- the one thing I will say that I know I'm going to miss, pardon the TMI, is that post-coital cigarette. So cheesy, but oh so true.

Quote:
Oh Amber, you are so precious. $5-$10/week? Try $21 a week. One pack a day at $3/pack. EVERY DAY.
$3 a pack?!@! God. Cook County prices are $5.50-$6.50/pack depending on where you are. If I succeed with quitting smoking, I'm going to save myself about $120/month. That enough is motivation to quit.

ETA: Jannie, are you doing Core or Points at WW? I tried Core and couldn't do it.
Old 02-08-2006, 12:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
$3 a pack?!@! God. Cook County prices are $5.50-$6.50/pack depending on where you are. If I succeed with quitting smoking, I'm going to save myself about $120/month. That enough is motivation to quit..
Well, I do live in The South. That pretty much says it all.

Quote:
ETA: Jannie, are you doing Core or Points at WW? I tried Core and couldn't do it.
I'm doing Points for now. I would love to get to the point where I was doing Core and stayed that way (such a healtheir way to eat) but I can't see that in the near future. It works for a LOT of people. The son of one of my Hospice patients lost over 150lbs on Core and still going strong.
Old 02-08-2006, 12:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I smoke about five packs a week, whatever that equates to per day, but I've only been smoking that much for a couple of years. The physical cravings aren't bothering me so much- it's the behavior. I'm used to lighting up when I'm in the car, I'm used to taking my smoke breaks downstairs (the only thing that has kept me sane here at work for awhile)... we'll see how it goes. I just kinda decided a couple days ago that I wasn't going to buy any more. I think I'll be able to keep off them- the one thing I will say that I know I'm going to miss, pardon the TMI, is that post-coital cigarette. So cheesy, but oh so true.

$3 a pack?!@! God. Cook County prices are $5.50-$6.50/pack depending on where you are. If I succeed with quitting smoking, I'm going to save myself about $120/month. That enough is motivation to quit.

It equals 14.29 cigarettes per day. That's not too bad.

I really missed the smoke breaks too, Hayley. I wound up taking a walk to get coffee in the afternoon instead. That helped.

Is there a way you can avoid driving for a little while? Or, just clean your car and make it smell nice so you don't want to stink it up. I don't know. Making changes helps because it really is a habit and shifting your behaviors around helps break it.
Old 02-08-2006, 01:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jannieC
Not that anyone has asked , but I still haven't had a cigarette and it's been 6 weeks, 1 day (no, I'm not a freak- I have one of those Quit Meter things that tells me this.

It's been really hard. I am (was) a 20+ year hardcore smoker. My husband and I almost killed each other about 3 weeks ago (he quit too). I would say it was one of the bigger fights we've had in our 10 years together . We both did smoke that night (he had a whole one and I had 3 drags) but I think it's safe to say that we're winning this battle.

Between quitting smoking and the holidays, I realized I gained 15 lbs! So my mother and I joined Weight Watchers 2 weeks ago. I've lost 3.6 lbs so far and my mom has lost almost 5! My goal is to lose 15 lbs and get back to 130 and my mother is trying to lose 60 lbs. This has really helped with the quitting smoking because now instead of cigarettes, I'm thinking about food all the time! When I look at how I'm eating now, I can't believe the way I had been eating for the past few years. You know how people say, "I just eat whatever I want, whenever I want..."? Well, that really was me. I would never deny myself anything. If I wanted to eat something, I would. If I wanted to eat WAY TOO MUCH of something, I would. There has never been any kind of limit set on eating. Amazing. On the one hand, I've been able to spend many years enjoying fabulous, fatty, rich foods. On the other, I have a taste for that kind of food, which makes it extremely hard to change. But, I think quitting smoking prepared me for anything. If I can quit smoking, I can do anything.

Part of me feels weird not smoking and eating well. I feel like a traitor to the type of person I've always seen myself as. Like, as if becoming a healthy person is betraying the "real" me. That's hilarious. And stupid. I have a feeling that eventually, I am going to feel great about all this, physically as well as mentally.

Anyway, I just wanted to share that with everyone. Kind of a long and boring post, but if anyone is thinking of quitting smoking and would like some support, please PM me anytime.
What else can I say but keep up the good work. I'm behind you!
Old 02-08-2006, 01:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sara1998
Well... I quit on September 8, 2005. It's been 21 weeks, 6 days, 13 hours, 39 minutes, 13 seconds. I've given up 4,607 cigarettes and have saved $691.05! Amazing, I say. Jannie... I almost feel like a traitor myself. But, I'm a traitor who can now do 3 flights of stairs multiple times a day, and 20 minutes of cardio every night. Don't sound like much? When I first started the cardio, I couldn't get past the first 10 minutes. After I quit and the holidays, I realized I put on around 20 lbs. I'm kinda heavy to begin with, so it's 20 lbs. I can't put on. I started eating so much more healthier, and I'm not buying fast food for lunch, I'm not drinking soda. I feel great. I have saved so much money between quitting smoking and quitting fast food. I don't know if I've really lost any weight... but I really am trying. Keep up the good work, everyone who has quit. And Hayley, stick with it. It's well worth the effort and bitchiness....
I don't know how I missed this post (we must have been writing at the same time). That is so great. xoxoxo
Old 02-08-2006, 02:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Congratulations to all of you! I quit 5 & 1/2 years ago, with the exception of 3 or 4 drunken cigs a year, and it's the best thing I ever did for myself. It always gets worse before it gets better (psychologically AND physically) but you will get through it. Keep it up, ladies!