User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 10-19-2005, 05:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissention
The minimum wage in MA is $6.75. Any state can establish their own minimum wage, it just can't fall below the national minimum wage.
Exactly. What I posted above. Which you know me I'm just unaware of an facts.

Which leads me to the assertion that if any state can establish their own minimum wage, then why must the national minimum wage be upped?
Old 10-19-2005, 05:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jyqm
You got a source for that, boy-o?

Also, that doesn't really answer my question about why Santorum and Specter voted for the proposal. Or about what the differences are in the Republican-sponsored proposal.
Minimum-wage advocates imply that mostly large, successful firms employ low-wage workers. Therefore, the only effect of a higher minimum wage will be to reduce business profits. However, the Small Business Administration (SBA) recently examined the types of businesses employing low-wage workers. Not surprisingly, the bulk of them are small businesses, not big corporations. Among all minimum-wage workers, 54% work in businesses with fewer than 100 employees and two-thirds work in businesses with fewer than 500 employees
Old 10-19-2005, 05:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brwn_eyes0511
Exactly. What I posted above. Which you know me I'm just unaware of an facts.
He asked for an example, I gave him one. You did not.

Quote:
Which leads me to the assertion that if any state can establish their own minimum wage, then why must the national minimum wage be upped?
Umm, so that people are paid more for their work? What a concept.

Old 10-19-2005, 05:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
He asked for an example, I gave him one. You did not.
I answered his question. I didn't know he was asking for an example as well.

Quote:
Umm, so that people are paid more for their work? What a concept.
Sounds nice in theory, but it isn't that simple.
Old 10-19-2005, 05:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Minimum-wage advocates imply that mostly large, successful firms employ low-wage workers. Therefore, the only effect of a higher minimum wage will be to reduce business profits. However, the Small Business Administration (SBA) recently examined the types of businesses employing low-wage workers. Not surprisingly, the bulk of them are small businesses, not big corporations. Among all minimum-wage workers, 54% work in businesses with fewer than 100 employees and two-thirds work in businesses with fewer than 500 employees
You should really be attributing that to the original author, Bruce Bartlett.

Old 10-19-2005, 05:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
You should really be attributing that to the original author, Bruce Bartlett.
But of course...

http://www.findarticles.com/p/articl...2/ai_n10298110

I was just about to post the entire article.
Old 10-19-2005, 05:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Sounds nice in theory, but it isn't that simple.
How sweet it is that you spew the corporate capitalist talking points as if they were your own.

Old 10-19-2005, 05:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

The concept of a minimum wage seems straightforward: If we believe the wages of some workers are too low, we should pass a law requiring those wages to be higher. What could be simpler? The problem is that increasing the minimum wage may make some people better off, but others will be harmed. Experience proves that the minimum wage hurts more people than it helps.

A bill to raise minimum hourly pay is introduced in every Congress. The current proposal would immediately raise the federal minimum wage from $5.15 to $5.85, then to $6.45 one year later and to $7.00 after two years.

Age and education are the two most basic determinants of the wage a worker can command in the employment market. Young people generally have less experience and maturity and are usually not productive enough to demand a very high wage. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), the bulk of minimum-wage workers are under 25, with limited education.

In 2002, half of all workers earning the minimum wage were under age 25 and one-fourth were between the ages of 16 and 19. One-third of all minimum-wage workers had less than a high school diploma. Three-fifths of minimum-wage employees worked only part-time, and many were students or others living in homes with high family incomes.

At the same time, minimum-wage jobs are not insignificant. They are the first rung on the employment ladder for most workers. The experience workers gain in such simple skills as showing up on time, learning to follow instructions and how to interact with customers are critical to success in life.

That is why-absent government mandated hikes-salaries grow rapidly for newly hired minimum-wage workers who stick with their jobs. About 90% of workers hired at minimum wage earn more than the minimum after one year, according to the BLS.

Minimum-wage advocates imply that mostly large, successful firms employ low-wage workers. Therefore, the only effect of a higher minimum wage will be to reduce business profits. However, the Small Business Administration (SBA) recently examined the types of businesses employing low-wage workers. Not surprisingly, the bulk of them are small businesses, not big corporations. Among all minimum-wage workers, 54% work in businesses with fewer than 100 employees and two-thirds work in businesses with fewer than 500 employees.

Small businesses create 75% of new jobs annually, but they are also responsible for most job losses. That is why we must be especially careful when contemplating new financial burdens on small businesses. With so many of them so close to the edge to begin with, it often doesn't take much to push them over, destroying many jobs in the process.

Unemployment figures are also a telling statistic regarding minimum wage. From 1948 to 1955, unemployment of black and white teenage males was essentially the same, 11.3% and 11.6%, respectively. However, after the minimum wage was raised from 75 cents to $1 in 1956, unemployment rose significantly for both bhck and white teenage males, with blacks bearing more of the burden. By 1969, the unemployment rate was 22.7% for black teenage males and 14.6% for white teenage males.

Economists Donald Deere, Kevin Murphy and Finis Welch found that minimum wage increases totaling 27% in 1990 and 1991 reduced employment for all teenagers by 7.3% and for black teenagers by 10%. A study of the 1996 and 1997 increases by economists Richard Burkhauser, Kenneth Couch and David Wittenburg also found a 2% to 6% decline in employment for each 10% increase in the minimum wage.

In a study published by the Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco, Couch translated these conclusions into raw numbers: At the low end, he estimated at least 90,000 teenage jobs were lost in 1996 and another 63,000 in 1997. At the high end, job losses may have equaled 268,000 in 1996 and 189,000 in 1997.

Couch estimates that a $1 rise in the minimum wage today would further reduce teenage employment by at least 145,000 and possibly as many as 436,000 jobs. According to the SBA, even among large firms the probability of a low -wage worker losing his job doubles after a minimum-wage hike.

Advocates of a minimum-wage hike ignore the evidence that it increases unemployment among the least productive workers: unskilled teenagers whose employment opportunities are limited. This is unfortunate, because low-wage jobs are the first rung on the economic ladder of success for workers entering the labor force. When we cut off the bottom rung by increasing the minimum wage, we keep youngsters from making the transition to work.

Mr. Bartlett is a senior fellow with the National Center for Policy Analysis.

Copyright Human Events Publishing, Inc. Feb 14, 2005
Provided by ProQuest Information and Learning Company. All rights Reserved
Old 10-19-2005, 05:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
It can be state by state...it just depends.
I looked it up for myself, here's a nice site with the information: http://www.dol.gov/esa/minwage/america.htm

There are sixteen states with a minimum wage higher than the federally mandated one, among them California ($6.75), New York ($6.75 as of 01.01.2006), Florida ($6.15), and Illinois ($6.50). Washington state seems to have the highest minimum wage: $7.35.

While this does seem like something that should be a state issue much more than national one, as the cost of living varies widely state by state, it does seem incumbent on the federal government to ensure that states are enforcing a minimum wage that allows someone working a full-time job to live above the poverty level.
Old 10-19-2005, 05:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
How sweet it is that you spew the corporate capitalist talking points as if they were your own.
Gee...could it be that capitalism works? A free-market equals a better market!
Old 10-19-2005, 05:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Those are both matters of opinion, not facts.

Old 10-19-2005, 05:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Well you stated that somehow they weren't MY opinions and just talking points...so...
Old 10-19-2005, 05:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
His opinions do not carry much weight with me due to his inexperience, age, and the fact that he lives at home. Sorry kid!
Old 10-19-2005, 05:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzeQuze
His opinions do not carry much weight with me due to his inexperience, age, and the fact that he lives at home. Sorry kid!
I was waiting for the stereotypical "You don't know unless you have had a life experience" liberal argument.

Why is it that an idea or a point is less valid because you haven't had a "life experience"...it doesn't take away from facts.
Old 10-19-2005, 05:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
So where is this totally free market that is working better than all the other ones?

Seems like the market was pretty free in the US at the turn of the 20th century.