User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 01-20-2005, 01:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySorcerer
I would overhaul the higher education system - entirely open admissions, but tougher standards to graduate. Universities are paper mills, and then employers b!tch about incompetent workers. And, this would never fly in our society, but I think grades are negative. People are more worried about passing/making staight A's/just getting by or whatever their mantra than actually learning. College would also be free or extremely low cost.

College educations have become jokes. The teachers just go through the motions, assigning book work and reading assignments, etc. There is an utter lack of hands on involvement. It's become so easy to pass college classes that I fail to see the point to them. Now they have distance learning classes, which are essentially courses that can be taken over the internet. Who really does the assigned work, man? All you have to do is sit there with your textbook while taking a quiz or test. Who is learning anything?

I admit that when I was in college, I did everything in my power to circumvent doing any actual work when it came to math courses and biology courses. But I was lucky in that my major required total hands-on involvement in order to graduate. Projects, models, research, blue prints, you name it. Now there are kids out there who get psychology degrees without even knowing Piaget's theory of cognitive development. I've met them firsthand.

Old 01-20-2005, 01:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissention

College educations have become jokes. The teachers just go through the motions, assigning book work and reading assignments, etc. There is an utter lack of hands on involvement. It's become so easy to pass college classes that I fail to see the point to them. Now they have distance learning classes, which are essentially courses that can be taken over the internet. Who really does the assigned work, man? All you have to do is sit there with your textbook while taking a quiz or test. Who is learning anything?

I admit that when I was in college, I did everything in my power to circumvent doing any actual work when it came to math courses and biology courses. But I was lucky in that my major required total hands-on involvement in order to graduate. Projects, models, research, blue prints, you name it. Now there are kids out there who get psychology degrees without even knowing Piaget's theory of cognitive development. I've met them firsthand.
I would be SO screwed if I hadn't gotten my first public radio job in college - I learned more from that part-time job about my field than I did from any courses...

a lot of coursed offered nowadays are total jokes....just see the Lil' Kim course in Syracuse...horrible...
Old 01-20-2005, 01:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrummerDeanna
I would be SO screwed if I hadn't gotten my first public radio job in college - I learned more from that part-time job about my field than I did from any courses...

a lot of coursed offered nowadays are total jokes....just see the Lil' Kim course in Syracuse...horrible...
They offer courses on Lil' Kim?

I wonder if they ever dress up like her in order to "get inside her head." The professor could role play as Diana Ross.

Old 01-20-2005, 01:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

I wonder if they ever dress up like her in order to "get inside her head." The professor could role play as Diana Ross.
Yes - the title of the class is - The Life and Times of Lil' Kim I believe...I posted about it once before...I'll see if I can dig it up...
Old 01-20-2005, 01:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

I think you could get inside her head by just looking at her. The way a person dresses (or does not ) tells a lot.
Old 01-20-2005, 01:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Yes - the title of the class is - The Life and Times of Lil' Kim I believe...I posted about it once before...I'll see if I can dig it up...
Life and Times? The chick isn't even 30 years of age!

Old 01-20-2005, 01:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=16734

There ya go...
Old 01-20-2005, 01:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Hehehe. I wonder if they'll have a class on Blondie, seeing as how they essentially created the hip hop movement in America.

Old 01-20-2005, 01:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Hehehe. I wonder if they'll have a class on Blondie, seeing as how they essentially created the hip hop movement in America.
Sign me up for that one! I betcha I'd ace it Then again... I WOULD kill all hip hop vibes as soon as I walk in the room
Old 01-20-2005, 01:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan8472
Sign me up for that one! I betcha I'd ace it Then again... I WOULD kill all hip hop vibes as soon as I walk in the room

Did you see the hip hop awards on VH1 a couple months ago? I couldn't stop laughing. It's hilarious to see her treated as hip hop royalty, a white woman from Jersey.

Old 01-20-2005, 01:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

Did you see the hip hop awards on VH1 a couple months ago? I couldn't stop laughing. It's hilarious to see her treated as hip hop royalty, a white woman from Jersey.
I boycotted that one
Old 01-20-2005, 01:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I boycotted that one
It was rather unwatchable, to be honest. Though I did think the week-long documentary on the evolution of hip hop was rather fascinating. And it had a good twenty minute portion regarding Rapture and Blondie.

Did you download that concert I posted about? It's fabulous, I'm telling ya.

Old 01-20-2005, 01:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Hey, why pick on the psych kids!?! I went to Bridgewater State and I got a great education I thought. Ivy league shmivy league. Not that I don't have any respect for those colleges, it's just that colleges like mine don't get it when it really was a good school with quality teachers and curriculum, IMO. Also, sometimes the more prestigious schools will give a "gentleman's B" because no one can fail on paper and make the school/themselves look bad.

Quote:

Old 01-20-2005, 01:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Talking Coming soon...

from the College of Ass-tards, The course y'all demanded:

Stevie Nicks-My Life and Times in a SINGLE BLACK DRESS!!!

Watch in awe as Ms.Nicks explains over-and-over how black is slimming, Why she isnt a witch, Blahblahblahyaddayaddayadda!!!

"To acknowledge death is to accept freedom and responsibility."

"Fleetwood Mac and its fans remind me of a toilet plunger...keep bringing up old sh*t..."
Old 01-20-2005, 01:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I think you could get inside her head by just looking at her. The way a person dresses (or does not ) tells a lot.
Head? Honey, don't you mean pants? Or lack thereof.