Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 10-09-2002, 06:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Question Collecting Fleetwood Mac Stuff

I was wondering if anyone knew a web site or a book that would give the value of Fleetwood Mac memorabilia. I know that there are books for Beatles collectors, and I was wondering if there was such a book for Mac collectors. I would really appreciate any help you guys can give. Thanks!

~~Don't compromise yourself. You're all you've got.~~ Janis Joplin
Old 10-09-2002, 07:08 PM
Ledgie

I don't believe I've ever run across a full-on Mac price guide, but I have seen several books that feature large sections devoted to them.

Goldmine, a record collectors magazine, has a growing series of books themed by format. The only one I personally owned was a 7" Picture Sleeves guide, and it listed just about every single sleeve produced between 1955-1999.

I would just take some time and go through the series at one of the larger bookstores near you.
Old 10-09-2002, 07:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Re: Collecting Fleetwood Mac Stuff

Quote:
Originally posted by golddustwoman77
I was wondering if anyone knew a web site or a book that would give the value of Fleetwood Mac memorabilia. I know that there are books for Beatles collectors, and I was wondering if there was such a book for Mac collectors. I would really appreciate any help you guys can give.
There really isn't any published book on secondary market prices for the Mac. About the best you can do is check back issues (generally cover stories) of Record Collector in the UK (www.recordcollectormag.com/) or Goldmine in the U.S. (www.collect.com/interest/periodical.asp?Pub=GM). Fleetwood Mac has been on the cover of Goldmine at least twice in the past 10 years. Generally, the cover story rates the extra coverage on price values for various items.

Because of its hype & its saturated popularity, eBay doesn't really accurately gauge the secondary market value of many collectibles; it tends to inflate those values. eBay is really its own unique secondary market economy unto itself.

Remember that when it comes to the collectible market, an item is worth what someone will pay you for it.

I think the scads of people who post here at the ledge can give you a general idea of an item's worth in relation to other, similar items. For example, we can tell you that the "Nightbird" 45 single & sleeve in mint condition is typically going to be worth about two or three times as much as the "Talk to Me" 45 single & sleeve in equivalent condition; or that a 1978 "punter" backstage pass is worth a bit more than a 1979 "punter" pass. The Mac collectors are your target market if you're planning on selling Mac collectibles, so ask around. See what people would pay for something -- that's your value, in a nutshell.

Finally, condition always counts for a lot, unless you have something like the guitar Bob Welch used to record "Angel" or Fleetwood Mac's American Music award or some other one-of-a-kind thing of mythic dimensions.
Old 10-09-2002, 07:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by Mattress
Goldmine, a record collectors magazine, has a growing series of books themed by format. The only one I personally owned was a 7" Picture Sleeves guide, and it listed just about every single sleeve produced between 1955-1999.
You beat me to it, Mattress. Sorry for the repetition!