The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Post-Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 01-03-2010, 11:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Always sort of liked "Paper Doll". I wouldn't rank it as one of my favourites, but certainly not one of the songs I try to skip when playing CDs. True it's not what most would consider "traditional" FM type material, but really everyone, what is "traditional" FM material??

Definitely agree with those who think it should have been put out as a single instead of "No Questions Asked". That is one of my least favourite of all FM songs, any album, any era, bar none, IMHO. I just have never been able to get into that song. That one I skip every time I have the "Greatest Hits" CD playing. Didn't even include it in my iTunes library when I put my whole CD library on there.

As for "Behind The Mask", think it's a great CD. Have always liked it, have expressed that numerous times on this forum, along with my feelings about Rick, Billy and their contributions to the Mac. Not a huge fan of "Time" but don't hate it either. Seems disjointed and not all the material fits together. Not all bad, just not a "great" CD. I became a little more of a Billy fan because of this and one of his solo CD's after, along with coming to appreciate the talents of Bekka Bramlett.
Old 01-04-2010, 12:36 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrpjr View Post
OMG!!! her worst song..the lyrics r rediculous....her vocals??? wow!! i guess to each their own...im glad ppl like it....but i cannot bear to listen to 1 note of this clanging mess...sorry
I never liked it either. I remember when the boxed set was coming out, and the single was released. I went straight to the record store and bought the "cassingle". The sales person asked me how the song was, and I said "I haven't heard it yet". She was amazed that I would buy a song without knowing if I would like it or not. I popped it in the cassette player in my car and disliked it from the moment I heard it. I thought her vocal was really bad, and for the most part the lyrics were too. I think the best lyrics in the song are the ones she lifted from Oscar Wilde.
Old 01-04-2010, 01:55 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellagypsy79 View Post
Paper Doll...a big plus in my book. I love that song. "you prefer to be just a little bit in and out of love with me..." I love that line. It reminds me of me and someone else I know. Has there ever been a demo for this song? And if so could someone post it? When did Stevie write this song anyway? Also, was there ever a music video for it?
And I love it that being in and out of love with her is tantamount to being in and out of agony.

Being fascinated by someone else yesterday puts me in mind of "sunflowers and your face," so I just love that line and I also embrace the simplicity of "well, you could have said no. You could have said I just can't." It makes me think of something she might have said during the Tango fight, so that gets to me too.

I mean, the way I hear the words in this song is heavily influenced by the video, therefore an FM film strip flashes through my head fullspeed, with every line in the song until it gives me a rush that has little rational relation to the song's quality as music.

We were mirrors of our former selves.

Michele
Old 01-04-2010, 08:39 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cristochango View Post
I'm thinkin about going out and buying Behind the Mask and Time.
I know critics said it sucked, but im thinkin i wanna listen to them just to say I have
I definitely encourage you to get Behind The Mask, and any other Mac/solo album you don't have. If for no other reason, to better understand the journey the band has gone through the past 40 years. Behind The Mask definitely doesn't rank anywhere near the top of my favorite Mac albums... but it does have some solid material on it. Christine's material, as always, is great. The title track is spooky and wonderful, and Save Me is textbook bopping Christine. Minus the fabulously malicious Freedom, Stevie's songs are pretty lackluster. Rick and Billy were really starting to showcase their unique imprints on the Mac in this album... with somewhat mixed results. I think Rick really had something to add to the band... but it's my most humble opinion that Billy seemed out of step.

Anyway, I really do like Paper Doll. But I seem to like most any of Stevie and Rick's pairings. The song is just fun, upbeat, and more than a touch snarky... which I particularly enjoy. I've always wondered who the song was about. In my mind, it's about Mick Fleetwood, and the awkward transition of Fleetwood Mac away from Lindsey Buckingham. We all know that Stevie resented staying in Fleetwood Mac after Lindsey's departure, and my guess is that's what this song is about. About Lindsey instantly being replaced by "men with a future" and she was the "woman with a past" who would allow the band to keep floating along, even without one of it's major stars. Stevie obviously wasn't buying it, saying: "Do you really believe that? She said to the faces in the crowd." I could be totally off base, but I strongly suspect the song to be her directing anger towards Mick for insisting Fleetwood Mac trudge on despite the circumstances. Again, this is just my speculation. The song could be directed solely at Lindsey himself... but I just don't think that makes sense if you really listen to the lyrics.
Old 01-04-2010, 11:55 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
And I love it that being in and out of love with her is tantamount to being in and out of agony.
I just love that line and I also embrace the simplicity of "well, you could have said no. You could have said I just can't." It makes me think of something she might have said during the Tango fight, so that gets to me too.
Michele
I think she is talking about herself like she usually does. To me this refers to the Buckingham Nicks album cover photo shoot.
Old 01-04-2010, 01:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I love Paper Doll. My big problem with it was the vocal mix. kind of muddy. It was hard to make out some of the lyrics. No Questions Asked was even harder to figure out. But I love the music and flow of the lyrics.
Old 01-04-2010, 02:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by louielouie2000 View Post
Anyway, I really do like Paper Doll. But I seem to like most any of Stevie and Rick's pairings. The song is just fun, upbeat, and more than a touch snarky... which I particularly enjoy. I've always wondered who the song was about. In my mind, it's about Mick Fleetwood, and the awkward transition of Fleetwood Mac away from Lindsey Buckingham. We all know that Stevie resented staying in Fleetwood Mac after Lindsey's departure, and my guess is that's what this song is about. About Lindsey instantly being replaced by "men with a future" and she was the "woman with a past" who would allow the band to keep floating along, even without one of it's major stars. Stevie obviously wasn't buying it, saying: "Do you really believe that? She said to the faces in the crowd." I could be totally off base, but I strongly suspect the song to be her directing anger towards Mick for insisting Fleetwood Mac trudge on despite the circumstances. Again, this is just my speculation. The song could be directed solely at Lindsey himself... but I just don't think that makes sense if you really listen to the lyrics.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivfox View Post
I think she is talking about herself like she usually does. To me this refers to the Buckingham Nicks album cover photo shoot.
Mark, I know she used the same language in describing what her father said about the album cover, but to me it's unlikely that she was writing about that by the time Paper Doll came around.

But reflecting on what you said, I don't think song lines that are about Lindsey are not about Stevie too. They seldom seem to be mutually exclusive in her lyrics.

Louie, I also think many songs about Lindsey and Stevie are about Fleetwood Mac. Actually, I think the Scholastic Aptitude Test people should construct syllogisms based on these major and minor premises.

For instance, the way Stevie describes FFG she says its about FM on tour and then she breaks it down and says that almost always is going to be about her and Lindsey. To her, I think King's horses are Mick's horses and Mick's horses are Fleetwood Mac. In that same sense, I agree with you that Paper Doll is about FM as a whole. I mean, I see the same thing in Ooh My Love. I think it's about Lindsey leaving and I think it's about that departure leading to the disintegration of Fleetwood Mac's castle walls. So, you go from a very small picture about one or two people (starting maybe as early as BN in the coffee plant, in the shadow of the castle walls, where he used to love to be with her) to a much larger picture of Fleetwood Mac collapsing upon itself. I can see your take on "do you really believe that she said to faces in the crowd" as quite likely.

Also, I am not sure what I would have thought of Paper Doll if I'd never seen the video, but having loved the video as I did, I can't help but see FM in the song. The image of them on the wintry beach, huddled in coats, all looking sinister, together but not touching -- it's even more penetrating and stunning when it flits by in Paper Doll than it was originally in Big Love.

At any rate, I doubt that there are many of Stevie's songs that are about any one thing anyway.

If I'd just heard this song on the radio, without the video images in my mind, I don't know how I would have responded to it, but as it is, the rollicking melody almost resembles music you hear at a circus, as you ride the carousel or in the fun house. Giddy, exciting, but a little distorted, with a hint of the sad and macabre.

Michele
Old 01-04-2010, 02:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
the rollicking melody almost resembles music you hear at a circus, as you ride the carousel or in the fun house. Giddy, exciting, but a little distorted, with a hint of the sad and macabre.

Michele
Wow, that's an excellent description! I hadn't thought of it that way but it's perfect.

Here's the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5SOmSEZGzY

I thought WB took away all the FM vids?
Old 01-05-2010, 12:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldTimer View Post
Wow, that's an excellent description! I hadn't thought of it that way but it's perfect.

Here's the video:

Hey OldTimer!!

You can get this video, as well as a few others on the official FM site too. Here's a link to the video in question.

http://www.fleetwoodmac.com/media/videos/paper-doll

Cheers!
SJPDG
Old 04-14-2022, 10:11 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldTimer View Post

Here's the video:

And the video is just a collage of 80s video clips, though there are some shots from Tusk and Rumours years, but few seconds.
Old 04-15-2022, 07:18 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Paper Doll is not great but I will say this.......Paper Doll and No Questions Asked are far better than any Stevie song on BTM. If you could put these on BTM, it would have been a better album.
Old 04-17-2022, 07:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
Paper Doll is not great but I will say this.......Paper Doll and No Questions Asked are far better than any Stevie song on BTM. If you could put these on BTM, it would have been a better album.
Agreed. Plus, I think PD is pretty good actually.
Old 04-18-2022, 01:02 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

I've never entirely understood the animus many fans seems to have against No Questions Asked. I can see how the 'wall of sound' production may not be to everyone's taste, and it's not exactly one of my favorite songs, but I think it's a good track and don't even mind it being on the Greatest Hits collection.

I am ambivalent about Paper Doll. It has good parts, but the drum and bass on the verses annoy me, and Stevie's vocal is not up to scratch. I don't care for the fact that it's on the Very Best collection either. But then, that has some other unusual inclusions (like 'Storms').
Old 04-18-2022, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Agreed. Plus, I think PD is pretty good actually.
We've always had a little love for PD.
Old 04-18-2022, 10:03 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I can see the love for Paper Doll but I don't share it. What irks me is the overuse of the word "well". We were mirrors of our former selves WELL... overwrought and overemphasized in a not so great vocal part. Well made so many appearances in her lyrics over the Rock a Little onwards, well it's worthless thing so... and in Thousand Days, similar to Paper Doll. But, that said, well is used to great effect in older songs like Races are Run- if we could start again, well, who knows have we really changed. The difference is that the line has follow through and connects to the next phrase where later, it was left dangling. So in the end, well, ruins Paper Doll and so many other songs for me.