The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Lindsey Buckingham
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 08-14-2017, 04:59 PM
Ledgie

Default Besides "Trouble" and "Go Insane", why does Lindsey...

Hey there everybody, I gotta ask why we think it is that whenever Lindsey tours it seems like the only songs that he will play live from his first two solo albums are "Trouble" from Law and Order and "Go Insane" from Go Insane. Yeah, I know he randomly played "Bwana" once or something, but I gotta say I don't see the point of not doing beautiful stuff like "I'll Tell You Now", "It Was I" or "Bang the Drum." I mean, some of Law and Order is kinda slight and that Go Insane is mostly drenched in '80s Fairlight keyboards, which would kinda stand out in his show. But regardless, I think by ignoring these albums (beyond the hits) on stage is a shame, cuz there are a few gems that people could be reminded of by him doing them live.
Old 08-14-2017, 07:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

I think the answer is simple. These 2 songs are his only solo Billboard hits. Trouble peaked at #9 and Go Insane #23. Lindsey will always promote his new album but plays the hits from his first 2 albums. Of course there are fantastic songs on those albums especially Go Insane. Lindsey has a wealth of solo songs.
He is obvious very proud of those songs just like he is of So Afraid ( a song he does every Mac tour) and Tusk.
You could ask lots of questions like these like Why does Lindsey only play Big Love from Tango and not any other Tango song.
Why did he and does he not play any of his songs from Mirage.
You could go on and on

Last edited by Macfan4life; 08-14-2017 at 07:02 PM..
Old 08-14-2017, 07:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
I think the answer is simple. These 2 songs are his only solo Billboard hits. Trouble peaked at #9 and Go Insane #23. Lindsey will always promote his new album but plays the hits from his first 2 albums. Of course there are fantastic songs on those albums especially Go Insane. Lindsey has a wealth of solo songs.
He is obvious very proud of those songs just like he is of So Afraid ( a song he does every Mac tour) and Tusk.
You could ask lots of questions like these like Why does Lindsey only play Big Love from Tango and not any other Tango song.
You could go on and on
Yes. Those were the singles from those two albums. Trouble was a top ten hit and Go Insane qualifies as a rather successful single as well.
Old 08-14-2017, 09:29 PM
Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
You could go on and on
I don't know though. My point is he has still played random cuts from Out of the Cradle or Gift of Screws or Under the Skin but not really from his first two. Though the point about all the other material he doesn't play does hold up as well. He does just have so much first class material, he obviously couldn't really get through it all in one show. So as much as I'd love to hear "Tango In The Night" or "I'll Tell You Now" live, I get why I probably won't be hearing those.
Old 08-14-2017, 10:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I know many artists don't always like their early work, and tend to lean towards later songs/albums. I don't know if Lindsey feels that way, but I've heard other singers say things like "I'm so embarrassed by those earlier songs" or "I've grown so much as a songwriter since then."
Old 08-19-2017, 01:24 PM
Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwboy View Post
I know many artists don't always like their early work, and tend to lean towards later songs/albums. I don't know if Lindsey feels that way, but I've heard other singers say things like "I'm so embarrassed by those earlier songs" or "I've grown so much as a songwriter since then."
I don't think it's that with Lindsey. I mean, most of the material he does during his shows (whether with Fleetwood Mac, as a duo with Christine or solo) are from approximately 1975 thru 1987 (excluding material from whatever new project he's promoting). So I don't believe for a second that he doesn't like his earlier work anymore.

To me, it just seems like maybe he doesn't think some of the stuff I've mentioned would work in front of an audience, maybe?
Old 08-20-2017, 05:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetdudejim View Post

To me, it just seems like maybe he doesn't think some of the stuff I've mentioned would work in front of an audience, maybe?
I think this is a lot of it.

While I would literally evaporate into thin air if he played "Slow Dancing" live, I think that Lindsey really came into his own as an artist with Under the Skin and he himself has said that Seeds We Sow is his greatest work to date. After he parted for Tango, he did a lot of soul searching not only personally but as a creative.

Additionally, we all know his guitar is an extension of himself and he truly values the performance he gives to each audience. If there's one note off, one instrument slightly out of tune, he always stops mid song to start over. So I think it's a mixture of what he feels artistically connected to, what he feels would be a good group of songs for the audience (he's a master of tracklistings, after all), and what he thinks will transfer well onto stage, so that it doesn't sound "shticky'" if you will.

These are just some thoughts, though. I'm probably very wrong.

SN: 4/6/11
I met my angel: 3/31/09
Old 08-20-2017, 07:53 PM
Ledgie

I know he said he dislikes (most of) Law and Order. But he always seems very positive towards Go Insane. Maybe the Go Insane songs are hard to replicate live.
Old 08-26-2017, 04:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

In addition why no Buckingham Nicks stuff making it in the solo shows?

These are the questions magazines should ask, not the same drivel we always get.
Old 08-26-2017, 04:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I vote for more OOTC stuff!
Old 09-29-2017, 06:09 PM
Junior Ledgie

Maybe he thinks his current audience wouldn't know some of his earlier work besides Trouble and Go Insane?
Old 04-19-2018, 01:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetdudejim View Post
Hey there everybody, I gotta ask why we think it is that whenever Lindsey tours it seems like the only songs that he will play live from his first two solo albums are "Trouble" from Law and Order and "Go Insane" from Go Insane. Yeah, I know he randomly played "Bwana" once or something, but I gotta say I don't see the point of not doing beautiful stuff like "I'll Tell You Now", "It Was I" or "Bang the Drum." I mean, some of Law and Order is kinda slight and that Go Insane is mostly drenched in '80s Fairlight keyboards, which would kinda stand out in his show. But regardless, I think by ignoring these albums (beyond the hits) on stage is a shame, cuz there are a few gems that people could be reminded of by him doing them live.
I really hope this change on his new solo tour. There are so many songs I'd like to hear: The Right Place to Fade, Surrender the Rain, Twist of Fate, To try for the Sun, Down on Rodeo. And the list goes on and on...
"I think what you would say is that there were factions within the band that had lost their perspective. What that did was to harm the 43-year legacy that we had worked so hard to build, and that legacy was really about rising above difficulties in order to fulfill one's higher truth and one's higher destiny."
Lindsey Buckingham, May 11, 2018.
Old 04-19-2018, 02:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by button-lip View Post
I really hope this change on his new solo tour. There are so many songs I'd like to hear: The Right Place to Fade, Surrender the Rain, Twist of Fate, To try for the Sun, Down on Rodeo. And the list goes on and on...

ETA: Needless to say, this latest "twist of fate" was the WRONG place to fade

Imagine paying $1000 to hear "Don't Dream It's Over" instead of "Go Your Own Way"

Fleetwood Mac helped me through a time of heartbreak. 12 years later, they broke my heart.
Old 04-19-2018, 03:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueFaith77 View Post

ETA: Needless to say, this latest "twist of fate" was the WRONG place to fade
Haha! You're right! I hope he doesn't Go Insane!
"I think what you would say is that there were factions within the band that had lost their perspective. What that did was to harm the 43-year legacy that we had worked so hard to build, and that legacy was really about rising above difficulties in order to fulfill one's higher truth and one's higher destiny."
Lindsey Buckingham, May 11, 2018.
Old 04-19-2018, 11:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by button-lip View Post
i love that song and wanna hear it on the upcoming tour, but maybe not twice.

but your list is practically my "die and go to heaven" if it ever happens - Twist of Fate, To try for the Sun, Down on Rodeo. i adore those songs (his version of TTFTS). also Love Minus Zero his version.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"