Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Chit Chat
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 03-20-2012, 08:02 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default In case you want to know the answer to: "WHAT IS A SUPPORTING LEDGIE?"

This information is actually included under the FAQ section at the top of the board (frequently asked questions):

A "Supporting Ledgie" is someone who, through a nominal contribution, helps us to meet the expenses of The Penguin and the Ledge. All contributions are either used for enhanced functionality or to offset running expenses. We pay a monthly fee for a dedicated server providing ample bandwidth, speed, and space to reliably run the Ledge and the rest of the Penguin. In addition to helping to support the site, "Supporting Ledgies" receive the following additional benefits: no banner advertising as they browse, the ability to turn off the Ebay auction listings, up to 150 private message storage capacity, a green username on the Who's Online List, their name listed on the 'View Forum Leaders' page, contribution status indicated under your username, a maximum Avatar Size of 75x75 (instead of 50x50), and the ability to be invisible on the Who's Online list.

Contributions can be conveniently and securely be made via Paypal in the Paid Subscription section of your User CP. Subscriptions can be purchased for either $6 for 6 months or $12 for 12 months. That only a dollar per month -- less than a cup of Starbucks coffee!

If you think about it, some folks here use The Ledge as their personal guidance counselor, sounding board, venting house, confessional, advice column, a place to find out where and when to purchase tickets, sell stuff on eBay, promote their school work, etc-- it seems the people that post the most could certainly come up with a buck a month for having a place to talk to others. Everyone wastes a dollar a month somewhere, even college kids--why not help with the upkeep and do something positive for everyone?
Old 03-20-2012, 08:20 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Exclamation Is The Ledge worth 4 cents to you per day??!!

It is to me!! It takes even less than that to be a Supporting Ledgie!!

I think most of us here think The Ledge is a wonderful place for fans of Fleetwood Mac. A lot of us are here every day. Michele (michelej1) has done an excellent job. She wants to keep this site, but is losing over $200 per month trying to do that.

All of us could help to keep this site in Michele's capable hands. Please consider becoming a Supporting Ledgie!
Old 03-20-2012, 08:25 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I just paid $6
Old 03-20-2012, 09:24 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I would actually like to hear some reasons as to why more Ledgies don't contribute and become Supporters? Especially ones that are here day in and day out. It only costs a pittance!
Old 03-20-2012, 10:41 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by McTrouble View Post
I would actually like to hear some reasons as to why more Ledgies don't contribute and become Supporters? Especially ones that are here day in and day out. It only costs a pittance!
I have said as far as me. It's not about 12 dollars a year either. Surely we all have that. But again, news of the site either selling soon, possibly even closing, still leaves a lot unclarified as to whether or not our 12 dollars together is enough to save this site, cause it's looking to me like the heads want out from under it regardless at this point, even though they say it's against their wishes. Would hate for everyone to start paying and the site close anyway if it doesn't sell. I have no idea what is going on and seem like the only one asking real questions unless those privy on here know things from others behind the scenes that us others aren't as privileged to be aware of.
Old 03-20-2012, 10:55 AM
Addicted Ledgie

^Unless someone who is really comfortable financially buys it and can fork over the $235/month to keep it up, then it makes sense to support the site now and help out either the current owner or the future owner.

It would really suck to lose the site-the board too, but we can always discuss in other forums. It would take eons to rebuild the info that is in the site....
Old 03-20-2012, 11:10 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CADreaming View Post
^Unless someone who is really comfortable financially buys it and can fork over the $235/month to keep it up, then it makes sense to support the site now and help out either the current owner or the future owner.

It would really suck to lose the site-the board too, but we can always discuss in other forums. It would take eons to rebuild the info that is in the site....
Say we have over 3,000 registered? If 1,500 of those people all came together at once and put up their 12 bucks, maybe that would make a dent in keeping up the site for a while and in a perfect simple world, everyone would easily do that but do you really see it happening? And this is what scares me if just 25 of us paid our 12 dollars. Because with the monthly running costs, seems like it's going to take more than that to keep this site up and running, nothing against the owners, just talking business and keeping real. No one's really saying just what's going on or might just happen. If it were mine or anyone elses site to run, what's so wrong about just coming forward and laying the facts out about raising more funds to keep this great site open for everyone. Because I think anyone else if they were in charge would have no problem making an official announcement on here if they wanted the site saved.
Old 03-20-2012, 11:16 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by fringed n fab View Post
nothing against the owners, just talking business and keeping real. No one's really saying just what's going on or might just happen.
Yeah, I have no problem becoming a supporter...I'd just like to know that I'm not going to pay, and then it closes in 2 months.

(or sells to someone who lifts the bans on evil people)
Old 03-20-2012, 11:18 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Also some may not like it, but I see no problem if the site does remain open, then why not incorporate small tiny ads between posts or pages like City Data does? Minimal ads, not in the way of browsing. Along with yes, more paid memberships from those enjoying the site. Because like most anything, to keep a good thing running sometimes takes some money. That's just life as I'm sure we know. I just wish all of this had been brought up sooner to us on here before the owners were forced to talk selling or closing.
Old 03-20-2012, 04:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
Yeah, I have no problem becoming a supporter...I'd just like to know that I'm not going to pay, and then it closes in 2 months.
Yes, you'd lose--what-- like $4.00 on a board that you've been posting on daily for years. C'mon Homer, change your name to green. It's the right thing to do. Be a leader, and you'll still get to tell us all what you're having for dinner every night. A few more people helping to lighten the burden would help the current owner and hopefully keep it going.

Old 03-20-2012, 04:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by fringed n fab View Post
Also some may not like it, but I see no problem if the site does remain open, then why not incorporate small tiny ads between posts or pages like City Data does? Minimal ads, not in the way of browsing. Along with yes, more paid memberships from those enjoying the site. Because like most anything, to keep a good thing running sometimes takes some money. That's just life as I'm sure we know. I just wish all of this had been brought up sooner to us on here before the owners were forced to talk selling or closing.
Your name is still "brown" to me.
Old 03-20-2012, 04:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
Your name is still "brown" to me.
Wow. We've been singled out....

~peer pressure~
Old 03-20-2012, 05:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

It seems like lots of arguments against parting with $12. The problem is that if a new owner bought it tomorrow, they still have the same costs and the problem is that you still don't know if your $12 is going to stop the site closing within that 12 months.

Michele's point as I see it is that she can not financially afford to keep paying for this site. So basically because no-one is supporting this site it runs the risk of closing. So the very reason against supporting the site (closing) is the reason it is for sale and obviously if no-one buys, may close.

Maybe in the USA $12 is worth a whole lot more than it is in Australia. I mean I know you don't earn as much per year as we generally do in Australia, but I didn't realise you were THAT poor!
Old 03-20-2012, 05:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Thanks for starting this thread, and keeping the discussion going, folks. For further clarification:

1) When you pay to become a supporting member, you pay via a Paypal account. No one here at the Ledge will ever see your credit card or banking info. They Ledge owner, Michele, simply receives a payment from Paypal.

2) The cost is $1/per month. This can either be paid in a 6 month installment or a 12 month installment.

3) Unless a buyer steps forward, or the board quickly begins supporting itself with enough paying members, the Ledge is in very real danger of disappearing.
Old 03-20-2012, 05:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by CADreaming View Post
Yes, in order to get the discography in database format we had to start over from scratch in 2004. It took 2 years just to get what was on the old discog pages in to the new. Then, from 2006 to now to build up the content on all items in there now (since y'know we all work full time and squeeze it in when we can etc.). It just figures in a few weeks I'd be ready to enter "new" things FINALLY then it may be all for naught. Hopefully not though, someone did have an idea in the other thread about all supporting ledgies paying 8 dollars a month and I might be able to swing that but of course there's bound to be some SL's that can't or may have good intentions originally then life's unexpected expenses crop up etc. Finger's crossed though & I'm open to ideas.

John