User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 09-29-2013, 09:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD View Post
What I find interesting is that what we think of as the "Southern (US) Accent" didn't evolve until AFTER the Civil War. So, how did "Southerners" talk BEFORE the Civil War? And, what caused the change?

An amusing thing I saw many years ago was a documentary on "the blues". They did an interview with Delta Blues master Mississippi Fred McDowell. He was SPEAKING English...but his Mississippi accent was SO THICK the filmmaker added subtitles anyway! And, the funny thing is, had the subtitles NOT been there, I'm really certain that I wouldn't have known what the hell he was saying!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNqY6ftqGq0

According to this and what I've learned in classes, the change happened because people were moving in and their accents kinda had an influence on the way people talked over time.

I'm from southeast Michigan, so I don't really have the midwestern accent a lot of people here at MSU have. I live in nothern Virginia now and that only differences between how we speak are the words we use to describe stuff. Instead of a shopping cart I call it a buggy, or instead of soda I call it pop. Stuff like that.

Last edited by chelluversu; 09-29-2013 at 09:08 PM..
Old 09-29-2013, 09:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chelluversu View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNqY6ftqGq0

According to this and what I've learned in classes, the change happened because people were moving in and their accents kinda had an influence on the way people talked over time.

I'm from southeast Michigan, so I don't really have the midwestern accent a lot of people here at MSU have. I live in nothern Virginia now and that only differences between how we speak are the words we use to describe stuff. Instead of a shopping cart I call it a buggy, or instead of soda I call it pop. Stuff like that.
Fascinating! I really enjoyed that video and will save and revisit.
Old 07-27-2014, 10:10 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by louielouie2000 View Post
We used to have a video thread here on the board where we all posted videos of ourselves saying hello & sharing a little about ourselves. It was fantastic to see what each other looked, sounded, and acted like. If y'all want to take this thread in that direction, it could be fun!
Well, I thought this thread needed a reboot, and this sounded like a nice idea, but as I'm enormously uncomfortable in front of a camera, I decided it'd be safer to start off just reading from a list of words. So in the spirit of this thread's topic, here's me in full manky-lazy sunday mode (excuse the clothes and... everything) doing the Youknowyourebritishwhen 50 word Accent Challenge... Where I think we can safely determine that I am not British even a little.

http://youtu.be/fJODPPPP2rY

Here's a list of the words:

Aluminium, salmon,talk, caramel, lieutenant, mirror, scone, nearly, bath, grass, near, bacon, beer can, again, been, garage, process, hot, coffee, thought, not, tomato, potato, cheese,cake, Barbie, fond,duck, dog, cat, fish, chips, milk, friend, fried, disenchanted, sleep, dream, state, cinema, last ,lost, Raxocoricopalavitorious, antidisestablishmentarianism, dance, copper, win, one, on, herbs, rotten.

Someone else do it too to help me feel less knob-ish about the whole thing!

Last edited by Dex; 07-27-2014 at 11:05 AM..
Old 07-27-2014, 02:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

http://youtu.be/Vm8BoLGTS34
Old 07-27-2014, 02:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by markolas View Post
The intermittent wine sips! Loved it. I miss American accents.
Old 07-28-2014, 02:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I live in NC but I'm originally from NY so I sorta have a NY and Southern accent combined.
I love Christine's accent though I'm not sure what the name of it is. And I love Scouse/Liverpool accents. Which reminds me...

HELP ME! Ever since that Grammy thing with the Beatles I've been obsessing over them. I think its coming to a point where I might like them more than Fleetwood Mac. AND I'VE BEEN OBSESSED WITH THE MAC FOR 17 YEARS, SINCE I WAS THREE YEARS OLD!!!!!
HELP ME!!!!!!!
Old 07-28-2014, 06:46 PM
Junior Ledgie

I'm a bit confused about the words for the challenge. Surely there's only one way to say on, last etc? lol. I'm Scottish so here's the words that North Americans commonly say differently to the Brits:

Aluminium is said like al-u-min-i-um.
Herbs - emphasis on the h.
mirror - more of an i sound. In movies it always sounds like mere.
garage - gar-age (as in age, how old you are).
Tomato isn't said like potato. The a is like apple or aligator.
Anti - ant-ay, movies (sad that everything I knew is from movies) say it like antiiii or semiiii, we don't emphasise that i.

Oh nearly forgot:
scone - said like gone.

Think that's all
Old 07-29-2014, 11:41 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanscot View Post
I'm a bit confused about the words for the challenge. Surely there's only one way to say on, last etc?
Heck no! Accents manifest themselves in all words. People elongate sounds, insert different vowel sounds, emphasize different bits, etc. "Last" in particular is a great one to demonstrate accents. "On" is admittedly more subtle but the differences are still there. You said you're Scottish. People in my bit of England are notoriously bad at understanding Scottish people. It's definitely more than just the words you listed that are pronounced differently. It's every word. Every accent takes some getting used to if it's new to your ears.

Last edited by Dex; 07-29-2014 at 11:43 AM..
Old 07-29-2014, 04:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dex View Post
Heck no! Accents manifest themselves in all words. People elongate sounds, insert different vowel sounds, emphasize different bits, etc. "Last" in particular is a great one to demonstrate accents. "On" is admittedly more subtle but the differences are still there. You said you're Scottish. People in my bit of England are notoriously bad at understanding Scottish people. It's definitely more than just the words you listed that are pronounced differently. It's every word. Every accent takes some getting used to if it's new to your ears.
To my mind the 'standard' English pronunciation of on is 'on'. Whereas (and I appreciate there are several Scottish accents) I feel the Scottish pronunciation of on is closer to 'orn' and the American (and I appreciate there are many American accents) is closer to 'arn'.
Does that make sense?

Also, I think Christine's accent would best be described as Standard Southern English.
Old 07-30-2014, 09:25 AM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfanforever View Post
I love accents.I probably have a New England accent but I think I dont have any.

My favorites are the southern accent and the UK.New York,New Jersey and Boston and western are the runners up.
Skip, I saw your TV clip where you asked Stevie a question. I THINK this was on Jimmy Fallon? I had you pegged as being from New Jersey!!!

I have a southern accent (Tennessee), but I TRY my best to downplay it. Yes, we Southerners have that "ignorant hillbilly" stereotype. I'm well educated and have a successful career, so it's infuriating when someone pegs me as stupid because of my accent or the area that I live in.
Old 07-30-2014, 11:53 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanscot View Post
I'm a bit confused about the words for the challenge. Surely there's only one way to say on, last etc? lol. I'm Scottish so here's the words that North Americans commonly say differently to the Brits:

Aluminium is said like al-u-min-i-um.
Herbs - emphasis on the h.
mirror - more of an i sound. In movies it always sounds like mere.
garage - gar-age (as in age, how old you are).
Tomato isn't said like potato. The a is like apple or aligator.
Anti - ant-ay, movies (sad that everything I knew is from movies) say it like antiiii or semiiii, we don't emphasise that i.

Oh nearly forgot:
scone - said like gone.

Think that's all
Myeh-rurr is how my dad says "mirror," and he grew up near Glasgow. (Everything is "near Glasgow" )
Old 08-01-2014, 10:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Chicago girl here. I don't have the stereotypical (ie SNL Superfans) accent, but not many do anymore. That's more of a southside or old school city worker accent. I do notice a more nasally "o" in comparison to my coworkers who aren't from here (ie I say "Cahstco" instead of "Cawstco"). There's also a dialect difference, such as me saying gym shoes, pop, and kiddy corner, whereas they say sneakers, soda, and kaddy corner.
Old 08-03-2014, 05:05 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyPlum View Post
To my mind the 'standard' English pronunciation of on is 'on'. Whereas (and I appreciate there are several Scottish accents) I feel the Scottish pronunciation of on is closer to 'orn' and the American (and I appreciate there are many American accents) is closer to 'arn'.
Does that make sense?

Also, I think Christine's accent would best be described as Standard Southern English.
I love this post because it so perfectly illustrates how all-encompassing accents are. It makes no sense if I read it without putting on what I assume to be your accent, FuzzyPlum, as I do so. Although I do see what you mean and you've made a good stab at trying to illustrate different pronunciations of the words. It would be interesting to see people coming from different accents try and do the same and see how they attempt to spell all the different ways people say "on".

Christine is actually from Birmingham and I do still sort of get that in her speech, although her accent has been neutralised considerably from living in various places and I do think it's fairly "standard" these days, yeah.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldustsongbird View Post
Myeh-rurr is how my dad says "mirror," and he grew up near Glasgow. (Everything is "near Glasgow" )
I'm from Canada and say "myeh-rurr". Go team! How do you say it, golddustsongbird? I can't get used to people who say it "meer" to be honest. It's unsophisticated of me, but I do just find it a bit... funny-sounding. I guess I need to spend more time in America to just get used to it. Wahoo! Another reason for travelling!
Old 08-07-2014, 04:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dex View Post
I love this post because it so perfectly illustrates how all-encompassing accents are. It makes no sense if I read it without putting on what I assume to be your accent, FuzzyPlum, as I do so. Although I do see what you mean and you've made a good stab at trying to illustrate different pronunciations of the words. It would be interesting to see people coming from different accents try and do the same and see how they attempt to spell all the different ways people say "on".
Straight after I posted I was reflecting further on accents- particularly American. Though my immediate thought is of an American 'arn' ...would I be right in thinking New York pronunciations are more drawn out 'awn'?
Old 08-08-2014, 09:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyPlum View Post
Straight after I posted I was reflecting further on accents- particularly American. Though my immediate thought is of an American 'arn' ...would I be right in thinking New York pronunciations are more drawn out 'awn'?
Most times I end up saying "on" like "own."