The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Stevie Nicks
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 01-18-2017, 04:05 PM
Ledgie

If the record is already that close to completion (ready for release in May), then it wouldn't take another year for her to add 3 songs culled from the Vault. She does that on her solo albums anyway (e.g. "That's Alright," "Sorcerer," "Goodbye Baby," "Secret Love," and many, many others finally recorded and released YEARS after the demo stage). She has so many good songs that still deserve to emerge from vault/demo status (e.g. "Julia") that she doesn't even need to write anything new.

When "Straight Back" was a last-minute replacement for "Smile At You" in '82 on Mirage, she said to a reporter that it was no worries because it didn't take long for the band to record her songs.

I wonder if announcing that they were proceeding without her was a last-ditch tactic to get her to relent to participating. She's undoubtedly aware that this is going to make her look a "bad witch" to a lot of fans, so she could well be annoyed, despite her nice remarks about Christine.

Maybe she feels the commercial/critical pressure that a Fleetwood Mac album from the most famous lineup would to have to live up to, especially if she feels more creatively blocked than her bandmates. After so long on the road with them, she's surely heard some of the material they've cooked up. Maybe she's not digging the vibe and doesn't want Lindsey taking her songs in that direction.

Based on the EP from several years ago, my hopes for another Mac classic (even if it's just credited to Buckingham McVie) are not terribly high. But I, too, am disappointed that this seems like a major missed opportunity from a lineup that's only managed to record 5 studio albums together in 42 years.

Who knows if this album really even be released in May? Maybe she's right and it will take Lindsey another year to finish tinkering with it.

All I know is that sooner or later, we'll be getting a new Stevie Nicks album (of old and maybe some new songs). And all that talk about kids and their Internet will not block its release.
Old 01-18-2017, 04:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
It's like forgetting which excuse you used because you're making them up as you go along.
We aren't living in the Napster era any longer. I don't think stealing music is a problem. Yes, internet streaming is ubiquitous, but artists are being paid for streaming. Maybe it's just pennies a play, but in the future they stand to be paid more. And (legal) download and record sales have actually been increasing. Not to mention the vinyl resurgence.

Michele
Old 01-18-2017, 04:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
We aren't living in the Napster era any longer. I don't think stealing music is a problem. Yes, internet streaming is ubiquitous, but artists are being paid for streaming. Maybe it's just pennies a play, but in the future they stand to be paid more. And (legal) download and record sales have actually been increasing. Not to mention the vinyl resurgence.

Michele
And maybe its just a natural realignment in music's value. Maybe musicians really don't need to be earning many, many millions from the sale of music. Perhaps its just not worth that. Maybe a for a successful artist to earn hundreds of thousands of dollars for a good album would suffice considering they will also be earning money from other revenue streams too.

'Where words fail, music speaks'
Mick Fleetwood
Old 01-18-2017, 04:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad975 View Post
If the record is already that close to completion (ready for release in May), then it wouldn't take another year for her to add 3 songs culled from the Vault. She does that on her solo albums anyway (e.g. "That's Alright," "Sorcerer," "Goodbye Baby," "Secret Love," and many, many others finally recorded and released YEARS after the demo stage). She has so many good songs that still deserve to emerge from vault/demo status (e.g. "Julia") that she doesn't even need to write anything new.
The total time that she was in the studio for Tango was 3 non- contiguous weeks tops.For Behind the Mask she boasted in an interview in Pulse ,the old Tower records mag that she worked very quickly and did her parts in a couple of weeks. She is so full of s*&t that her eyes are brown.

Old 01-18-2017, 04:47 PM
Ledgie

Like all of you, I've been hoping for Stevie to participate in one last FM release, too. But she did say at the beginning of the tour with Christine (when Stevie changed plans to do her solo tour for 24K) that she wanted to wait and see how she was feeling at the end of the tour. For whatever her reasons are, it appears that Stevie does not want to work on this project.

After seeing her in Los Angeles last month, she was so happy on her own and even though it's more work to perform in her solo concerts, she seems to enjoy it so much more than working with FM. Most likely, being around Lindsey just brings more pain than anything else, especially as she's processing so many losses in her personal life. Seeing him with Kristin can't be pleasant and now seeing Lindsey so happy with Christine just adds more unhappiness.

Their use of Stevie and Lindsey's duo title, changed to Buckingham McVie, is another dagger in her heart--especially since they were talking about a 40th anniversary release of Buckingham Nicks' CD and possible tour before Christine returned.

When you put all of this together, it makes sense that Stevie wants to separate herself from this project. She's committed to the tour and has always come through on her commitments to FM--even when it's hurt her solo career (e.g., Mirage and 24K).

For those of you who love FM, you'll get another release from Lindsey and Christine. You'll also have one more tour (likely their last--considering most of them are in their 70's). I am thrilled with the solo tour Stevie is doing and can't wait to see the show a second time--and hope she records something (either solo or with FM). But more important, I just want her to have a happy life. She deserves it.
Old 01-18-2017, 04:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BombaySapphire3 View Post
The total time that she was in the studio for Tango was 3 non- contiguous weeks tops.For Behind the Mask she boasted in an interview in Pulse ,the old Tower records mag that she worked very quickly and did her parts in a couple of weeks. She is so full of s*&t that her eyes are brown.
Agreed. Lindsey is the only one who probably works a whole year. Stevie works the least. She is an entitled princess.
Old 01-18-2017, 07:30 PM
Senior Ledgie

Sadly, she's really been "disconnected" from Fleetwood Mac as a full participating member for a long time. At this point, if being solo is where she's happiest, then so be it. If she's not feeling it, she's not feeling it. I'm looking forward to what she does solo and what Chris and the boys do as a band. Bring it on.
Old 01-18-2017, 07:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jondalar View Post
Agreed. Lindsey is the only one who probably works a whole year. Stevie works the least. She is an entitled princess.
Christine works the least. Stevie records a solo album, tours, then tours with Fleetwood Mac, along with recording with them, so I would say she works the most. Not to mention all the interviews, live performances on TV, and mentoring on shows like the Voice and American Idol. She even acted on American Horror Story!
Old 01-18-2017, 07:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwboy View Post
Christine works the least. Stevie records a solo album, tours, then tours with Fleetwood Mac, along with recording with them, so I would say she works the most. Not to mention all the interviews, live performances on TV, and mentoring on shows like the Voice and American Idol. She even acted on American Horror Story!
Duhhhh! I'm talking about when it comes to making a Fleetwood Mac record.
Old 01-18-2017, 09:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jondalar View Post
Duhhhh! I'm talking about when it comes to making a Fleetwood Mac record.
Duhhh

Duhhh

Duhhh

Lol
Old 01-18-2017, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post

Michele
Exactly. She's been using the same excuses. And honestly, some of them aren't relevant any longer.
Old 01-19-2017, 12:20 AM
Addicted Ledgie

An interesting way to look at the issue is from Stevie's "we're not 40 anymore" perspective. Stevie is very much a nostalgic person. Even in her younger days she was enamored with the past. Take her love of antiques and fascination with old film stars. Also, look how young she was when she wrote about already getting older in Landslide. I think there's more to it beyond what Stevie is sharing. When Stevie's on stage, either solo or with FM doing a (mostly) greatest hits setlist she is able to visit her glory days and keep the past alive. I think her lack of participation with new music may be attributed to the fact that she's terrified of getting older. I know none of us like to admit it but our 5 fireflies won't be here forever and Stevie knows that. While the others see this as the time to create, Stevie feels the opposite. Maybe she believes that tensions in the studio take away from the happy, glory days vibe on tour. She might also see making an album with all 5 as the last sort of hoorah for the band. Tours at least let her get away from the inevitable.

Since reading this interview, I've felt a range of emotions. At first I was just sad because it seemed like Stevie has lost all inspiration. But maybe what inspires her today is reliving the past. Ultimately, I think I support Stevie as well as the rest of the band. Sure I would have liked another Rumours 5 album but you can see from the looks on Stevie's face during this tour that she is having a great time. She's performing hits as well as dusting off memories all while selling lots of tickets. Living in the past is one of the things Stevie loves and I can't really blame her for that.
Old 01-19-2017, 01:36 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Stevie lies ....alot. I remember a few years ago when Oprah asked her how her skin looked so young she claimed it was because she stopped tanning at 30. LOL OK that's it! Please you've had work done.
Old 01-19-2017, 07:55 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I respect Stevie's honesty but I don't understand her not wanting to record music again because of downloading. She comes across as money hungry. Taken at face value I'd be highly surprised if we ever get a new Stevie album. I love Fleetwood Mac but these greatest hits shows get boring because there are really no great surprises.
Old 01-19-2017, 08:47 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TsnFan4Ever View Post
Most likely, being around Lindsey just brings more pain than anything else, especially as she's processing so many losses in her personal life. Seeing him with Kristin can't be pleasant and now seeing Lindsey so happy with Christine just adds more unhappiness.

Their use of Stevie and Lindsey's duo title, changed to Buckingham McVie, is another dagger in her heart--especially since they were talking about a 40th anniversary release of Buckingham Nicks' CD and possible tour before Christine returned.
I agree with all of this. Classic, Psychology 101 triangulation going on here. Two people in, one person out (Lindsey + Christine, Stevie + Christine.) I don't think it's intentional on anyone's part, just three people coping with a very complex history.

We've heard the soap opera stories in the media so often, we tend to forget how real the past pain must be for them.

Also, Lindsey & Stevie haven't had the recent benefit of prolonged time apart from the whole mess - as Christine did, which has given her perspective. Remember Stevie's attitude in 1997 for The Dance? At that time, she'd had 10 years away from Lindsey to let go of the bad and remember the good. This time, no.