Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Stevie Nicks
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 08-27-2017, 09:32 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Fun fact:
"Talk to me" was already in the Billboard top 10 when MTV premiered the video. The video was shot very late after the song was already to radio.
I never understood why Stevie says she has trouble writing hit songs, as the only hit she didn't write that hit the Billboard top 10 was "Talk to me." I guess you can also count "Whenever I call you friend."
Old 08-27-2017, 09:42 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanne2 View Post
Bumping this old thread because this week I learned that Bono from U2 wrote a song for Stevie (I guess it was intended for The Wild Heart). I was digging through the online archives of a Dutch newspaper when I came across this interview with Bono, from March 1983: http://leiden.courant.nu/issue/LLC/1...sort=relevance
Translation of the interesting bits:
Stevie Nicks (from Fleetwood Mac) called us a while ago and asked us if we wanted to write a song for her. We send her a composition but she wasn't satisfied. I think it was too good for her. We wrote that song in Holland during a soundcheck, it was done is just 5 minutes. Maybe that sounds crazy but I have a tape to prove it. We send Stevie a copy of that tape but I guess it wasn't wat she was looking for, it's a beautiful love song and that's not what she wanted.
This is interesting, and Billy Burnette wrote in his memoir that Stevie hosted a party for Bono and U2 sometime around 1988, so that would lend credence to this story. If only Stevie had recorded that song... it may or may not have ended up being a hit, but it certainly would have been impressive to have a Bono/U2 song in her song catalog.
Old 08-27-2017, 09:44 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWildHeart67 View Post
Fun fact:
"Talk to me" was already in the Billboard top 10 when MTV premiered the video. The video was shot very late after the song was already to radio.
I never understood why Stevie says she has trouble writing hit songs, as the only hit she didn't write that hit the Billboard top 10 was "Talk to me." I guess you can also count "Whenever I call you friend."
Don't forget Stop Dragging My Heart Around
Old 08-27-2017, 09:46 AM
Addicted Ledgie

https://youtu.be/fdb_miRetOU

Here's ONJ's "Tied up." Man she sure looked so adorable in the day. The video is beyond goofy though. I used to LOVE this song. Still do.
Old 08-27-2017, 10:09 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Translation of the interesting bits:
Stevie Nicks (from Fleetwood Mac) called us a while ago and asked us if we wanted to write a song for her. We send her a composition but she wasn't satisfied. I think it was too good for her. We wrote that song in Holland during a soundcheck, it was done is just 5 minutes. Maybe that sounds crazy but I have a tape to prove it. We send Stevie a copy of that tape but I guess it wasn't wat she was looking for, it's a beautiful love song and that's not what she wanted.
Bono is so in love with himself.
LOL! He sounds so butt-hurt that she didn't record it.
I remember when he made a quote to Rolling Stone saying he was Jesus.
Old 08-27-2017, 10:12 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Don't forget Stop Dragging My Heart Around
BWBOY, I don't know how I forgot that one! I just worked a 12 hour shift and getting ready to work another one.
Old 08-27-2017, 10:14 AM
Addicted Ledgie

But isn't it strange how she always says she has trouble writing "HIT" singles when she has written over 10 top 20 hits?

Last edited by TheWildHeart67; 08-27-2017 at 10:17 AM..
Old 08-30-2017, 08:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWildHeart67 View Post
But isn't it strange how she always says she has trouble writing "HIT" singles when she has written over 10 top 20 hits?
But I think she is right that the songs that became hits did not fit the mold for "hit"songs when they were released. They were innovative in their own way. IMHO her best hit material is when she is not trying to write a hit. For instance, Say You Will was written to be a hit...
Old 09-02-2017, 08:57 AM
Senior Ledgie

Funny thing - when I first read this thread and read the title "Love Will Find a Way", the first song that started playing in my head was a song of the same name from another artist, Amy Grant. Even though I like the Yes song "Love Will Find a Way", a Stevie track would have been great too.

I learned something new from this thread - that work on TISL was in progress in 96, before "The Dance". I would love to hear some other unreleased material intended for TISL from that era. "If You Ever Did Believe" for the soundtrack was phenomenal. To me, "Sorcerer" from TISL, sounds like it may have been recorded during the same timeframe - 96. I used to like to put both songs back to back in playlists.
Old 09-02-2017, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snroxman View Post
I learned something new from this thread - that work on TISL was in progress in 96, before "The Dance". I would love to hear some other unreleased material intended for TISL from that era. "If You Ever Did Believe" for the soundtrack was phenomenal. To me, "Sorcerer" from TISL, sounds like it may have been recorded during the same timeframe - 96. I used to like to put both songs back to back in playlists.
The work for what would eventually become TISLA started from right after the end of the Street Angel Tour in late 1994, then it was paused due to her commitments for The Dance and Enchanted and resumed again after that.
Sorcerer is one of the tracks she did with Sheryl Crow in 1998, if you want to read a report on the album sessions you can find it here: http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=56017
Old 09-02-2017, 06:49 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SisterNightroad View Post
The work for what would eventually become TISLA started from right after the end of the Street Angel Tour in late 1994, then it was paused due to her commitments for The Dance and Enchanted and resumed again after that.
Sorcerer is one of the tracks she did with Sheryl Crow in 1998, if you want to read a report on the album sessions you can find it here: http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=56017
Thanks SisterNightRoad!