The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Chit Chat
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 09-08-2007, 01:00 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Fighting foh the Nohthun Stah...NO SPEED LIMIT! BITCH! THIS IS THE FAST LANE!!!

Nice.

Innywz

I'm going to randomly post since it is my thread.

On this show, the one with Linds and Carrie, Carlos Santana (I don't like Santana, the music, that much) just kicked out this superjam that was sounding all native amer at the end, just very beautiful and drummy, and so I loved it.

I was just surprised, cause I don't love these award shows always, but by tuning back for one second I was rewarded by something really good. It seemed abstractly serendipitous, and I like to pay a lot of attention to those lovely unexpected times. When you happen upon something that is very beautiful, though not in the way that you would normally expect.
In fact, that is a huge part of the point, that you did not imagine or expect it before. Like Alicia Keys sounding awesome on Black Magic Woman.
Just be open to the unexpected sound/concept, is my point I guess.

Cause then you can be all "OMG/OMG/OMG, did you hear Alicia keys kick the f*ck out of BMW? And Santana and his band on that shizz?!! (Again, not a huge fan of the Santana, but in this case all bets were off. ) Alicia yelled and yowled, a la Stevie in Japan. In and out of tune, but sublime none the less.

Okay, thanks for looking at my stream of consc. about the show. There were some serious MOMENTS in here. I do not lie, biatchez.

Whehyll I can do EHYT!! Wehyll I can make it WAHN moh thihme! (wheyllit'sA reayllongwaytogooo! To say goodbhiiy!) -
Old 09-08-2007, 01:12 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Fighting foh the Nohthun Stah...NO SPEED LIMIT! BITCH! THIS IS THE FAST LANE!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by xdreamsunwindx View Post
Why is Amber gutsy for saying that? If she said that to a WHITE man, would you think the same way?

No offense, Amber, I just found that might interesting...
Oh, no, yeah, I just didn't see where Irshc..grl ever mentioned white or black stuff. I did, but that was me.

Also, no white person has ever said anything like that to me.

I had assumed she thought I was gutsy what with saying stuff to people in neighborhoods less than country goodness, like hers, in places that were almost, if not actually, cities. Seriously, if you'd been where she lived, Cricket sounds would be high traffic. I been there, it's awesome. So much quiet and plants and animals. So little cement.
And I assumed by "some neighborhoods" she meant "bad neighborhoods", which, if this neighborhood were in her town it would be bad, however in mine, it's middle/lower/upper/ middle class.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDUX
Well, see, when you say something like "especially in SOME neighborhoods," a lot of people might take that the wrong way, as in thinking you're stereotyping black women, eg; Italian women don't have the monopoly on bigger butts. And from there, I thought you were implying that Amber is gutsy for living in an ethnic neighborhood.

I just thought that was interesting, that's all...
"A lot" of people might not be the actual people we are, and I may not have meant what you would think those theoretical people thought I meant by what I said.

Well, in some places, bad neighborhoods are different races. In my home town, bad neighborhoods are white trash.
My point is, you can only extrapolate out to a certain point beyond what someone actually says.
After that point, you are just making stuff up, yeah? Like, no one ever said anything about black women, or what "bad" neighborhoods consist of, or who has bigger butts.

And I didn't really recall anyone "implying" anything, unless, of course, their thoughts took you in a particular direction of implying things, in which case, then you made that up.

Like, I never thought of black women, or big butts, or if I did, I certainly didn't see anyone else saying anything of the sort.

And so therefore, it seems to me that you kinda over-infered things about things that people said. Like, you made up extra stuff that was never in the words people wrote.

I'm just trying to say, maybe there isn't so much offense involved with everything, maybe there are just perspectives and objectives and points of view and egos and blindness.
Perhaps.
And also perhaps low comprehensive reading scores. Perhaps.

Whehyll I can do EHYT!! Wehyll I can make it WAHN moh thihme! (wheyllit'sA reayllongwaytogooo! To say goodbhiiy!) -

Last edited by amber; 09-08-2007 at 01:28 AM..
Old 09-08-2007, 07:37 AM
Addicted Ledgie

^^^^^^
well put. but then, people have been misunderstanding me for awhile

and again I've only lived in this area of redneckville since I was 25. Ive still lived here less time than I've lived there

perhaps the crickets arent so spectacular, but dont forget, we also have BIGFOOT! for true!

edited to add:
I've always liked Santana's music, Samba Pa Ti was one of my fave Santana songs. I like his mellower stuff.

Last edited by irishgrl; 09-08-2007 at 07:41 AM..
Old 09-08-2007, 04:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I have a random "so then I go" story.

Sooo. It's 4:30 in the morning, and I go into the police department to gather information I need to write my news stories. Oh, great, it's the extra dickheaded dispatcher working. This will be just great.

He looks at me. I know he knows who I am and what I'm there for. We've been through this time and time again.

Cop: Can I help you?
Me: [sigh] Yes. I'm Sarah __ with __. I'm just here to check a couple reports.
Cop: I don't know anything about that. (SAME EFFING THING HE SAYS EVERY TIME HE WORKS.)
Me: Yes, you do, Officer _I-know-your-name-because-we've-had-this-conversation-before_.
I come here at the same time every week, and -my nameless co-worker- comes here at this same time every DAY.
Cop: I don't know. Maybe. I need to see some ID.

Okay, at this point, I just cannot help myself. I have turned on my attitude now, and it cannot be reversed.

Me: Do you seriously need to see my ID? You do realize it's against state law to deny a resident of the state to see these reports, right?
Cop: I'm just trying to verify your credentials.
Me: I'm not trying to be an asshole, Officer _buzz-cut-meathead_, but the only credential you need to verify is that I live in this state. And you SEE ME ALMOST EVERY WEEK. Do you SERIOUSLY have a problem with people coming in here at 4 in the morning asking to see your reports illegally? None of your colleagues make me jump through hoops, and you are making my job VERY difficult right now. I just. want. to see. the reports.
Cop: *stare*
Me: *stare*
Cop: *opens the door*

Piggy bastard.

Other cops have told me - even the chief of police told me - "Larry is just an asshole. He's stuck in some warped military mentality." One of the guys I really like was like, have your boss call the chief again... we're sick of his crap too. Sooo, he did, and Chief posted a memo saying to just let us see the damn things, 'cuz they aren't holding "nuclear secrets" back there. Incidentally, he hasn't been back on dispatch since. I wonder if chief changed his duties... he said, "i don't have many problems with my guys. in fact, i only have one problem, and it's him" so I wouldn't be surprised.