The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 09-23-2016, 10:07 PM

Default Beautiful Quote about Christine by Lindsey

Mirage was the more "traditional" follow-up to 1979's experimental Tusk and hit No. 1 on the Billboard 200, going on to be certified double platinum. Lindsey Buckingham tells us that it was also on album on which he and singer-keyboardist Christine McVie -- who wrote the first single "Hold Me" -- clicked in a way that was different from the way he worked with Stevie Nicks:

"I would say that it's...an intangible thing. It's a very strong thing of what I always thought was, for lack of a better term, the whole being greater than the sum of the parts...and I think in that sense Christine and I as two musicians who are very well-grounded in their craft have a kind of symmetry of respect and love for each other on a creative and a musical and a personal level, and I think that was a big part of what that whole being greater than the sum of the parts was at the time. The fact that what I could do for her, I did it for Stevie too but the fact that she (McVie) could infuse her sensibilities into my stuff and I could tap into what I do as a producer, say, and give back so much to her."
Old 09-24-2016, 11:01 AM
Addicted Ledgie

do we know where this quote came from? Mirage reissue liner notes maybe?

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 09-24-2016, 11:31 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I saw the quote in a Gary Graff article and assume it's a new quote. In the article is an audio clip included of the above quote:

http://wjrz.com/2016/09/23/lindsey-b...-mcvie-mirage/

Lindsey Buckingham On Writing With Christine McVie on 'Mirage'

Arriving in store today (September 23) are deluxe editions of Fleetwood Mac's 1982 album Mirage.

The new set comes as a single-disc remastered version of the album along with a two-disc Expanded edition and a Deluxe package that includes three CDs, a DVD and an LP. The latter two include bonus demos, rarities and alternative tracks, while the Deluxe also features a 1982 concert from Los Angeles.

Mirage was the more "traditional" follow-up to 1979's experimental Tusk and hit No. 1 on the Billboard 200, going on to be certified double platinum. Lindsey Buckingham tells us that it was also on album on which he and singer-keyboardist Christine McVie -- who wrote the first single "Hold Me" -- clicked in a way that was different from the way he worked with Stevie Nicks:

"I would say that it's...an intangible thing. It's a very strong thing of what I always thought was, for lack of a better term, the whole being greater than the sum of the parts...and I think in that sense Christine and I as two musicians who are very well-grounded in their craft have a kind of symmetry of respect and love for each other on a creative and a musical and a personal level, and I think that was a big part of what that whole being greater than the sum of the parts was at the time. The fact that what I could do for her, I did it for Stevie too but the fact that she (McVie) could infuse her sensibilities into my stuff and I could tap into what I do as a producer, say, and give back so much to her."

McVie rejoined the band in 2014 following a nearly 16-year leave of absence. Fleetwood Mac has been working on new material but no release plans have been announced.

Gary Graff is an award-winning music journalist who not only covers music but has written books on Bob Seger, Neil Young and Bruce Springsteen.
Old 09-24-2016, 12:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

It's similar to what he's said about her in the past, the symmetry and all, but now he's added love and the personal level. He's getting mushy in his old age.

Michele
Old 09-24-2016, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
It's similar to what he's said about her in the past, the symmetry and all, but now he's added love and the personal level. He's getting mushy in his old age.

Michele
And we've always known that he loves her. He's just saying it now.
Old 09-25-2016, 12:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenniferuk View Post

Here's another quote I found:

"The thing is, the music itself comes from an... organic place. That's something that a lot of people, I guess in layman terms, the fans, if you will, don't really understand is that without that chemistry, the music doesn't really exist. It's just instruments. But Christine gets that, and understands that if she's not able to play the keyboards, then on a personal level I say to myself, and anyone who might still be listening to my voice, "I'll play the keyboards then," and Christine gets that. It's more than a collaboration, it's a triage, only with two of us instead of three of us, because Stevie doesn't understand that. Or a square, because with John and Mick, there's four of us. Really, it's more of a rectangle, because our musical process is not equal, with myself as the foundation, Mick and John on the sides, all having to lift and support Christine, to help her raise her game, so to speak."

I just made this quote up... the original quote was so convoluted, I wanted to add to it by making it even more ridiculous. No harm intended.

Last edited by bwboy; 09-30-2016 at 02:54 PM..
Old 09-25-2016, 03:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwboy View Post
did you find this in your dreams?

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 09-25-2016, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
did you find this in your dreams?
After smoking a goat joint. lol
Old 09-29-2016, 10:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

"The thing is, the music itself comes from an... organic place. That's something that a lot of people, I guess in layman terms, the fans, if you will, don't really understand is that without that chemistry, the music doesn't really exist. It's just instruments. But Christine gets that, and understands that if she's not able to play the keyboards, then on a personal level I say to myself, and anyone who might still be listening to my voice, "I'll play the keyboards then," and Christine gets that. It's more than a collaboration, it's a triage, only with two of us instead of three of us, because Stevie doesn't understand that. Or a square, because with John and Mick, there's four of us. Really, it's more of a rectangle, because our musical process is not equal, with myself as the foundation, Mick and John on the sides, all having to lift and support Christine, to help her raise her game, so to speak."
i'm not sure how i feel about this.... Now, if he'd said this about Stevie, whom I love, I would say this was a very fair statement.

I think Christine brings a hella lot more to the table than this quote seems to imply, so I'm not sure if he was intentionally being overbearing or it just came out wrong. So if he'd left out the "having to" life up Christine I'd be ok with it. The "having to" is a bit douchey.

I dislike when he creates the impression that the same isn't true of him-- that they all build a foundation to make him raise HIS game-- because he has to adapt to the other writers' material and because in Chris' case she brings much more complete songs/arrangements compared to Stevie (tho Stevie works with other musicians and brings real demos and has for a while-- she doesn't give him many raw piano songwriting demos anymore). By having a more complete demo from Chris, it forces HIM to raise his game as a producer because he has to adapt to what she's brought in versus getting much more of a blank canvas with Stevie's stuff. And Chris' playing and singing on his stuff makes it better too.
Old 09-30-2016, 01:59 AM
Addicted Ledgie

^^^THIS!
I'm going further here, imho Lindsey can't write a hook and Christine certainly can. So all his "I make her records better" is just covering up that fact.
Honestly, he ruined SYW with his outdated production antics. Listen to "Everybody finds out" with the sampled "Big Love" moans in it for further reference.
And that was not even the worst.

Hey FM, here is my plan: Hire a producer (Rick Rubin would be good), make sure that Lindsey is gagged and bound in the attic, Troubadix-style, but free him for a bit guitar picking ever so often. So you get rid of the 80s sound and overproduced crap, make some music by just playing your instruments, you can do it.
Old 09-30-2016, 07:03 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
i'm not sure how i feel about this....
BWBOY MADE THAT STATEMENT YOU ARE ANALYZING UP.

i was just waiting for it to be buried a bit and for someone to pick it up as real.

Old 09-24-2016, 01:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post

I have no idea what he's saying here, but I think it can be broken down to "Like Stevie, I made Christine's songs better than they were, but she didn't mind it as much as Stevie."
Old 09-24-2016, 01:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I have no idea what he's saying here, but I think it can be broken down to "Like Stevie, I made Christine's songs better than they were, but she didn't mind it as much as Stevie."
it's a rambling mess of big words, but i read it the same, with this as 1 of several messages wrapped in there, others being:
  • Christine can add to my songs too
  • Christine and i are musicians so we can easily understand and make each other's music better
  • there is love on a personal level between us too, not just on professional / musical level

on a subliminal level, if this is a very recent interview and in the light of their apparent decision (according to Mick, but also hinted in Stevie's and Christine's most recent interviews) to finish (and release?) the album without Stevie if she doesn't want to contribute, he is also saying that FM music coming from Christine and Lindsey is something special and has a lot of band dynamic embedded in it (sum of the parts better than separately).

Old 09-24-2016, 02:36 PM

Quote:
If you catch the subtext he's saying they make each other better. Christine actually gives him great ideas as a producer by putting in her sensibilities into his production.. And it snowballs. He also had recent comments about their current work together..

And... their (CM/LB) chemistry is different than his and Stevie's because Stevie isn't open to it like Christine is. That's why her solo music sounds so stale and nasal most often. LB does great work w/ Stevie's material

It's about being open, making your partner better and accepting the other person's offer. It's classic improv chemistry. But you have to be open in order for it to work. Attitude helps, as well.
Old 09-24-2016, 08:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
If you catch the subtext he's saying they make each other better. Christine actually gives him great ideas as a producer by putting in her sensibilities into his production.. And it snowballs. He also had recent comments about their current work together..

And... their (CM/LB) chemistry is different than his and Stevie's because Stevie isn't open to it like Christine is. That's why her solo music sounds so stale and nasal most often. LB does great work w/ Stevie's material

It's about being open, making your partner better and accepting the other person's offer. It's classic improv chemistry. But you have to be open in order for it to work. Attitude helps, as well.
Yes, and the chemistry happens because Christine doesn't have an ego. She acknowledges Lindsey's work on her songs (even when he sometimes overplays how much he "does for her"--example: "Hold Me" in demo form pretty much lays out what the song is and only the magical touches are added to make a good song a classic).