The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Lindsey Buckingham
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 09-05-2011, 05:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

More detailed feview to come but so far track that has jumped right out at me is That's That Way That Love Goes - brilliant. I love One Take and also, In Our Time sounds, to me, like it could have come right from Out Of The Cradle. As I said though, more detailed review to follow.
Old 09-05-2011, 06:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Downloaded SWS and have been listening to it all day! Some of these songs definately sound like they could have been on OOTC. That's The Way Love Goes rules. I keep repeating that song.

Other Songs I keep repeating. Rock Away Blind which is brilliant. SWS the electric version reminds me of Go Insane era Linds, wish it was on the regular edition. End of Time is a classic as is She Comes Down.

I think they only song I need to warm up to is Gone Too Far.
Old 09-05-2011, 07:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I love it. All of it. The only one I'm iffy about is Seeds We Sow...but, I have been from the beginning (I think it's the ra-ta-ta's, to tell you the truth. Someone used to do that on a song WAY in the past and I can't figure out who or what the song was. I'm thinking something vaudevillian, but...who knows. I am pretty sure it must be tied to some sort of neurotic trauma. Most things are;-)
But I'm not skipping over it or anything.
OOTC? I can only see the similarities in the extremely introspective lyrics. The delving for greater meaning. So...yeah, in that case, I can make a comparison.
I love, love, love, (love, love, love)...When She Comes Down and Gone Too Far. Stars are Crazy was my favorite live version from the show he did a few months ago...and I do love it but it sort of pales a bit from the live version. Still, it's great.
End of Time is really ... I don't know. Makes me kind of choke back a sob. There is this funky thing that happens when you reach middle age that makes you think of stuff like that and he really captured it.
And the funkified SwS...is hysterical. I kind of wish he'd do it that way in concert.
I haven't really spoiled myself for this, other than listening to the live versions months ago, so...today was a real gift.
Old 09-05-2011, 08:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regina View Post
I love it. All of it. The only one I'm iffy about is Seeds We Sow...but, I have been from the beginning (I think it's the ra-ta-ta's, to tell you the truth. Someone used to do that on a song WAY in the past and I can't figure out who or what the song was. I'm thinking something vaudevillian, but...who knows. I am pretty sure it must be tied to some sort of neurotic trauma. Most things are;-)
If you're thinking vaudeville, I'd say it's from a past life trauma.

I don't like that on SWS and on the electric version, I don't like the "no no no no no no no-no" part either. Use your words, Lindsey.

Michele
Old 09-05-2011, 08:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Love it. This is the most I have liked any of Lindsey's solos work as a whole. There's nothing that I am inclined to want to skip on a consistent basis. Its just lovely.
Old 09-05-2011, 08:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
Does Stevie ever come to his studio?

Actually I think that Stevie has described the coffee plant like that, because they were there at night alone, when everyone else was gone. She said it was scary and they just locked themselves in one room.

Both Ooooh my Love 's castle walls and this dungeon remind me of the coffee plant.

I still like Stars, but I do think live was better. His wail just seemed to be crying out against the stars more in concert. Whereas it's a less emotional love song on the album.

Oh, so in which ways did GOS disturb you?

Michele
Dungeon does sound so Stevie-esque. Ha.

Stars recorded version is growing on me but I will always prefer it live and can't wait to hear it in person.

GOS just had a dark/ominous/mysterious/cryptic vibe to me.
Old 09-05-2011, 08:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

It hasn't been 24 hours yet, so it's far too soon. But I am going to rate the albums:

1. Gift of Screws
2. Seeds We Sow
3. Out of the Cradle
4. Go Insane
5. Under the Skin
6 Law and Order

Mcihele
Old 09-05-2011, 09:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I still say if he released GOS as he originally intended it before FM ate it up it would destroy OOTC.
Old 09-05-2011, 09:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
It hasn't been 24 hours yet, so it's far too soon. But I am going to rate the albums:

1. Gift of Screws
2. Seeds We Sow
3. Out of the Cradle
4. Go Insane
5. Under the Skin
6 Law and Order

Mcihele
Wow, Michele!! Knowing how highly you rate GOS this speaks volumes on the quality of SWS. I am so completely stumped. As you know, OOTC is my "album for all albums" and, imo, the greatest thing that ever came out of FM/solo FM. But the more I listen to this the more I go, "were you trying to top yourself LB?"

I am considering my ranking carefully, but it could be a tie. Anyway, I am that you have UTS so low...but I understand. To me, that album was and still is beautiful. But I can't put it on the level of SWS. Honestly, GOS was like a leap away from it as well, but I was familiar with some of the work on both those records prior to so I always sort of connected them in my mind. But this one is just different for me...

"Reality leaves a lot to the imagination." ~ JL
Old 09-05-2011, 09:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueGrass View Post
I still say if he released GOS as he originally intended it before FM ate it up it would destroy OOTC.
You're probably right. But as is we have to go by what we got and, frankly, GOS was amazing as it was. However, SWS is amazing-er to me.

"Reality leaves a lot to the imagination." ~ JL
Old 09-05-2011, 09:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Lightbulb Hmm...

I'm listening to OOTC right now and its been a LONG time since I've done that. It is a friggin' masterpiece. There are definitely threads of OOTC, Go Insane, Law and Order, UTS and GOS in SWS. I love that!!

I believe that Lindsey's voice was at its ultimate during this time. Strong with just the perfect tone plus some weathering along with youthfulness.

I would say at this moment in time, OOTC remains my favorite LB solo, but I would love to listen to all his solos back to back. THAT will be awesome and interesting.

That said, SWS is a phenomenal album and I cannot wait to get my CD so I can listen while taking in the lyrics and obsessively reading all the liner notes and looking at the pictures like in the "good ol' days."
Old 09-06-2011, 12:58 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Well the more I listen to this album, the more I want to listen to it. It's his 2nd best album, just behind Out of the Cradle. The songs and acoustics are excellent. I also think the song lengths are perfect.
Old 09-06-2011, 01:25 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Feeling this record...

Gift of Screws and Under the Skin were nice pop excursions that I fealt were necessary for Lindsey to do, however, they never pulled me in. There is something so RIGHT about Seeds You Sow that has just pulled me in.

It's perfect. It feels somehow like it is my personal album. When I first heard the album, I thought ok where is the rock. I guess I wanted 70s rock. But after repeated listens I think this album is just genious. I love the fact the song lengths are all over the place and that this album has it's own sorta energy outside of 70s and 80s rock, which people try to imitate.

This album to me is Tusk Punk Pop. It's edgy, and the whole Disrupting Beauty theme is in there, but he did a much better job on the lyrics and melodies. The album does not feel as removed or filtered as other efforts.

If I could make a record, this is the type of record I would do. It's one of the best things he has ever done.
Old 09-06-2011, 03:22 AM
Addicted Ledgie

24 hours later and repeat listens all day...I can't get enough. For me it's a perfect record. I skip nothing. The original GOS could have been the best collection Lindsey ever did if it had been released as submitted in 99. Aside from that unreleased gem, Seeds We Sow is the best album he's made. Each song is special in it's own way but everything fits together perfectly as a collection. I can't even pick a favorite track. I'm glad I didn't listen to any of the early clips or the live versions. Didn't get spoiled or tainted by other notions of how things would sound. I had no expectations and now I'm just blown away!
Old 09-06-2011, 03:48 AM
Supporting Ledgie

I kind of have to give Gift of Screws, Under the Skin and Seeds We Sow a 3-way tie.