The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 08-05-2018, 06:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Bilboard Article - Mick Fleetwood Opens Up About Lindsey Buckingham's Departure

Mick Fleetwood Opens Up About His Rock Photography, Fleetwood Mac's Tour & Lindsey Buckingham's Departure

8/5/2018 by Nicole Pajer

When he’s not out drumming alongside Stevie Nicks and John McVie, Mick Fleetwood is paying homage to his favorite hobby: photography.

The 71-year-old rock drummer, who has been taking his own cameras out on the road with him since the early days of Fleetwood Mac, has always had an affinity for a great rock and roll shot. In order to share that with the public, he teamed up with the Morrison Hotel Gallery in 2016 to open a gallery space inside his Maui-based restaurant, Fleetwood’s General Store, which features a rotating array of fine art music photography.

On Saturday night (Aug. 4) in Los Angeles, Fleetwood -- who is in town rehearsing for the upcoming Fleetwood Mac tour -- popped by the Sunset Marquis Hotel in conjunction with the Morrison Hotel Gallery to showcase a selection of his favorite music shots, which included candid photos of the likes of Keith Richards, John Lee Hooker and bandmate Stevie Nicks.

Billboard caught up with Fleetwood on site to discuss his love of rock photography, his secret mission to infiltrate the stash of early Fleetwood Mac shots that McVie has been holding hostage and what he’s most looking forward to about his band’s upcoming tour

What inspired your partnership with the Morrison Hotel Gallery?

We’re celebrating our sixth year with my Fleetwood’s, and in a restaurant that’s a lot. That’s another way to lose your hair but we’re part of the fabric there now, which is great. We opened up with the Morrison Hotel Gallery about two years ago and it’s been a huge success. Pattie Boyd, who was married to George Harrison and Eric [Clapton], did a little tour with Peter Blachley, one of the owners of the gallery. I met them in Australia years ago when Pattie was doing a show and I went to support. We were on the road and Christine, myself and John went to a gallery opening to support Stevie who was showing a Polaroid shot. She doesn’t really do that but Peter approached her and she said, “Okay. I’ll do it.” I met Peter again. We talked about one day doing something and then he came on holiday to our gallery. We had a regular gallery with open art at Fleetwood’s and I decided to go into partnership with Morrison Hotel Gallery. I said, “This is it.” For me, it’s a perfect fit. It makes a lot of sense because this is my world. We have a lot of fun. Whenever I’m at the restaurant, I pop down into the gallery and talk about some of the pieces that I know and introduce some of the people in the photographs that I was inspired by.

What is it about rock photography that speaks to you?

Photography-wise, I do bits and pieces on landscapes and stuff, which is what we used to have in the gallery. Am I a serious dude? No. I just have fun doing it. And then a guy who owned a gallery in Maui was like, “You should put some of these up. People would love to see them.” So that’s how it started, showing photos, and I have fun doing that. I have a reverence for great photography. But I don’t consider myself in that league.

John McVie, who is the bass player in Fleetwood Mac, is a really good photographer and he never did anything with it. It’s just like, “John, why don’t you show somewhere?” I don’t think he can be bartered. But I actually referenced him in terms of buying good cameras back in the day and learning a little bit about stuff. I was the annoying guy with the camera way back in the day when I first started touring with John. Everyone used to go “Ah! Here is the busy body with the camera. This joker. Get out of here.” But now they appreciate them. It’s like being in a family where you’re like, “Thank God dad forced us to take all those pictures.”

I have a lot of respect for these rock photographers. You realize that some of them were really led into the inner circles of some of these artists and bands. And you see how those photographs really capture the artist, the moment. You really have to give these people kudos. There is something about them as people that allowed this type of thing to happen and that doesn’t seemingly ever really get referenced.

Are the walls in your home covered with rock photography?

I have a very sweet and lovely home but my place hasn’t got much wall space -- but I keep buying art. I go to my own gallery and I said, “Oh I want one of those.” I’ve got this whole load of photographs in storage. During this tour, I’m building a barn that is going to be a drum room and I have great aspirations for my overload of rock photography to be up on the wall there. And I will probably insist that John McVie gives me some of the s--t he’s got on Fleetwood Mac.

What are you most looking forward to about the upcoming Fleetwood Mac tour?

We’re very excited. Obviously this is a huge change with the advent of Lindsey Buckingham not being a part of Fleetwood Mac. We all wish him well and all the rest of it. In truthful language, we just weren’t happy. And I’ll leave it at that in terms of the dynamic. And he’s going out on the road more or less the same time I think -- not in the same places, I hope (laughs). So we’re with Mike Campbell from Tom Petty and Neil Finn from Crowded House -- both really credible gentleman and really talented. We are a week into rehearsals and it’s going really well and we’re looking forward, in true Fleetwood Mac style. If you know anything about the history of this band, it’s sort of peppered with this type of dramatic stuff. It’s a strange band really. It’s ironic that we have a 50-year package coming out with all the old blues stuff with Peter Green, all the incarnations of Fleetwood Mac, which was not of course planned. But that’s what we’re feeling, especially myself and John, having been in Fleetwood Mac for 55 years. So it’s exciting, totally challenging in the whole creative part of it, and we’re really loving it. We’re just looking at a whole 18 months on-and-off of trekking around the world like we normally do and having it be fun.
"I think what you would say is that there were factions within the band that had lost their perspective. What that did was to harm the 43-year legacy that we had worked so hard to build, and that legacy was really about rising above difficulties in order to fulfill one's higher truth and one's higher destiny."
Lindsey Buckingham, May 11, 2018.
Old 08-05-2018, 07:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by button-lip View Post
Mick Fleetwood Opens Up About His Rock Photography, Fleetwood Mac's Tour & Lindsey Buckingham's Departure

8/5/2018 by Nicole Pajer

When he’s not out drumming alongside Stevie Nicks and John McVie, Mick Fleetwood is paying homage to his favorite hobby: photography.

The 71-year-old rock drummer, who has been taking his own cameras out on the road with him since the early days of Fleetwood Mac, has always had an affinity for a great rock and roll shot. In order to share that with the public, he teamed up with the Morrison Hotel Gallery in 2016 to open a gallery space inside his Maui-based restaurant, Fleetwood’s General Store, which features a rotating array of fine art music photography.

On Saturday night (Aug. 4) in Los Angeles, Fleetwood -- who is in town rehearsing for the upcoming Fleetwood Mac tour -- popped by the Sunset Marquis Hotel in conjunction with the Morrison Hotel Gallery to showcase a selection of his favorite music shots, which included candid photos of the likes of Keith Richards, John Lee Hooker and bandmate Stevie Nicks.

Billboard caught up with Fleetwood on site to discuss his love of rock photography, his secret mission to infiltrate the stash of early Fleetwood Mac shots that McVie has been holding hostage and what he’s most looking forward to about his band’s upcoming tour

We’re celebrating our sixth year with my Fleetwood’s, and in a restaurant that’s a lot. That’s another way to lose your hair but we’re part of the fabric there now, which is great. We opened up with the Morrison Hotel Gallery about two years ago and it’s been a huge success. Pattie Boyd, who was married to George Harrison and Eric [Clapton], did a little tour with Peter Blachley, one of the owners of the gallery. I met them in Australia years ago when Pattie was doing a show and I went to support. We were on the road and Christine, myself and John went to a gallery opening to support Stevie who was showing a Polaroid shot. She doesn’t really do that but Peter approached her and she said, “Okay. I’ll do it.” I met Peter again. We talked about one day doing something and then he came on holiday to our gallery. We had a regular gallery with open art at Fleetwood’s and I decided to go into partnership with Morrison Hotel Gallery. I said, “This is it.” For me, it’s a perfect fit. It makes a lot of sense because this is my world. We have a lot of fun. Whenever I’m at the restaurant, I pop down into the gallery and talk about some of the pieces that I know and introduce some of the people in the photographs that I was inspired by.

Photography-wise, I do bits and pieces on landscapes and stuff, which is what we used to have in the gallery. Am I a serious dude? No. I just have fun doing it. And then a guy who owned a gallery in Maui was like, “You should put some of these up. People would love to see them.” So that’s how it started, showing photos, and I have fun doing that. I have a reverence for great photography. But I don’t consider myself in that league.

John McVie, who is the bass player in Fleetwood Mac, is a really good photographer and he never did anything with it. It’s just like, “John, why don’t you show somewhere?” I don’t think he can be bartered. But I actually referenced him in terms of buying good cameras back in the day and learning a little bit about stuff. I was the annoying guy with the camera way back in the day when I first started touring with John. Everyone used to go “Ah! Here is the busy body with the camera. This joker. Get out of here.” But now they appreciate them. It’s like being in a family where you’re like, “Thank God dad forced us to take all those pictures.”

I have a lot of respect for these rock photographers. You realize that some of them were really led into the inner circles of some of these artists and bands. And you see how those photographs really capture the artist, the moment. You really have to give these people kudos. There is something about them as people that allowed this type of thing to happen and that doesn’t seemingly ever really get referenced.

I have a very sweet and lovely home but my place hasn’t got much wall space -- but I keep buying art. I go to my own gallery and I said, “Oh I want one of those.” I’ve got this whole load of photographs in storage. During this tour, I’m building a barn that is going to be a drum room and I have great aspirations for my overload of rock photography to be up on the wall there. And I will probably insist that John McVie gives me some of the s--t he’s got on Fleetwood Mac.

We’re very excited. Obviously this is a huge change with the advent of Lindsey Buckingham not being a part of Fleetwood Mac. We all wish him well and all the rest of it. In truthful language, we just weren’t happy. And I’ll leave it at that in terms of the dynamic. And he’s going out on the road more or less the same time I think -- not in the same places, I hope (laughs). So we’re with Mike Campbell from Tom Petty and Neil Finn from Crowded House -- both really credible gentleman and really talented. We are a week into rehearsals and it’s going really well and we’re looking forward, in true Fleetwood Mac style. If you know anything about the history of this band, it’s sort of peppered with this type of dramatic stuff. It’s a strange band really. It’s ironic that we have a 50-year package coming out with all the old blues stuff with Peter Green, all the incarnations of Fleetwood Mac, which was not of course planned. But that’s what we’re feeling, especially myself and John, having been in Fleetwood Mac for 55 years. So it’s exciting, totally challenging in the whole creative part of it, and we’re really loving it. We’re just looking at a whole 18 months on-and-off of trekking around the world like we normally do and having it be fun.
They are being forced to come around and dispel the lies they told earlier. Yet so cavalier about someone who was allegedly a friend, bailed this guys a$$ out of a jam more times than any of us could count. My respect really does diminish for him every time he opens his mouth
Old 08-05-2018, 07:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

8/5/2018 by Nicole Pajer

They are being forced to come around and dispel the lies they told earlier. Yet so cavalier about someone who was allegedly a friend, bailed this guys a$$ out of a jam more times than any of us could count. My respect really does diminish for him every time he opens his mouth
Old 08-05-2018, 07:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storms123 View Post
It's like they never knew Lindsey. Or if he were now a stranger.

This is so awful and disheartening!

I only hope he's right about Lindsey's solo tour. That's all I care about.
"I think what you would say is that there were factions within the band that had lost their perspective. What that did was to harm the 43-year legacy that we had worked so hard to build, and that legacy was really about rising above difficulties in order to fulfill one's higher truth and one's higher destiny."
Lindsey Buckingham, May 11, 2018.
Old 08-07-2018, 01:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storms123 View Post
Yet so cavalier about someone who was allegedly a friend, bailed this guys a$$ out of a jam more times than any of us could count.
How exactly did he bail them out? He’d been dropped when they asked him to join and bombed as a solo artist after he quit. He needed them as much as he needed them.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 08-07-2018, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
How exactly did he bail them out? He’d been dropped when they asked him to join and bombed as a solo artist after he quit. He needed them as much as he needed them.
Which has been the norm in this band. Each force has propelled the other. Speaking in terms of the Rumours' incarnation.

The Dance was the best thing that could have happened for either party.
Old 08-07-2018, 02:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
Which has been the norm in this band. Each force has propelled the other. Speaking in terms of the Rumours' incarnation.

The Dance was the best thing that could have happened for either party.
I don’t disagree. And Stevie, too. They all needed it. Nobody “bailed” anyone out.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 08-07-2018, 02:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I don’t disagree. And Stevie, too. They all needed it. Nobody “bailed” anyone out.
I totally agree The Dance was critical to the resurgence of this band, however where I will respectfully disagree is on “bailing” out, and maybe that’s not the best way to phrase, but given how Lindsey put solo efforts on hold for the good of the band (SYW) and how he managed to pull albums together while one or more of his band mates were physically incapable of being there deserves kudos, imo
Old 08-07-2018, 02:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
How exactly did he bail them out? He needed them as much as they needed him.
For fame and fortune, yes. But for getting an album made and out the door, no. There would have have been no Tango in the Night had it not been for him making it. Christine wasn't going to do it. And Tango's commercial success bailed out the whole band.

I think this whole fascinating saga of the firing will be revealed officially some day, and it will include just about everything you guys are saying. Many astute points being made in this thread. I think that saga will also include revealing info about the Buckingham McVie album and tour:
  • Did Mick turn against the project after seeing sales were low for what was aurally a Fleetwood Mac album?
  • Did Stevie turn against the project out of jealousy?
  • Did the tour and the press rub some band members the wrong way? Did Christine's positive, joyous response to the project rub some band members the wrong way?

I think that project played a serious part in the firing saga in an emotional and possibly even a logistical sense. Lindsey and Chris may have even been hoping that by touring behind new music and doing it onstage, it may have sparked a sense of "OK, let's do it" in Stevie. And when it didn't, who knows how things turned south emotionally?

moviekinks.blogspot.com

Last edited by David; 08-07-2018 at 02:43 PM..
Old 08-07-2018, 04:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
For fame and fortune, yes. But for getting an album made and out the door, no. There would have have been no Tango in the Night had it not been for him making it. Christine wasn't going to do it. And Tango's commercial success bailed out the whole band.

I think this whole fascinating saga of the firing will be revealed officially some day, and it will include just about everything you guys are saying. Many astute points being made in this thread. I think that saga will also include revealing info about the Buckingham McVie album and tour:
  • Did Mick turn against the project after seeing sales were low for what was aurally a Fleetwood Mac album?
  • Did Stevie turn against the project out of jealousy?
  • Did the tour and the press rub some band members the wrong way? Did Christine's positive, joyous response to the project rub some band members the wrong way?

I think that project played a serious part in the firing saga in an emotional and possibly even a logistical sense. Lindsey and Chris may have even been hoping that by touring behind new music and doing it onstage, it may have sparked a sense of "OK, let's do it" in Stevie. And when it didn't, who knows how things turned south emotionally?
DING DING DING
We have a winner.
Bingo.

I don't agree with all 3 of your premises but 100% agree with the fact the Buckingham/McVie project indirectly led to Lindsey's firing. The album did ok and probably better than expected so I don't think Mick was upset with the project. However, the project did change the chemistry of the band. I would bet my life if the band waited for Stevie to finish her never ending solo tour without doing any projects, Stevie would have sucked it up and moved on. I don't think the jealousy is directed at Christine but Lindsey. How dare he work with the band without me!!!!!!!

I hate to say "TOLD YA SO" but this time last year there was a debate on this board was it really a Fleetwood Mac record? Many Stevie supporters thought it was a crazy idea to say or think the band went out of their way to not call the project a Fleetwood Mac album (even though they all played on it).
YOU SEE NOW. The band knows and knew her mindset with Lindsey working with the band without her. They walked on egg shells but that was not enough. Soon enough Stevie drew the line....its Lindsey or me. Mick takes the heat and protects Stevie with this decision. I, like you see right through it. The Buckingham/McVie project killed Fleetwood Mac. Not calling it a Fleetwood Mac album was NOT enough. How dare they make an album that I refuse to be part of (as she walked down the long hallway)!

Last edited by Macfan4life; 08-07-2018 at 04:07 PM..
Old 08-07-2018, 04:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
For fame and fortune, yes. But for getting an album made and out the door, no. There would have have been no Tango in the Night had it not been for him making it.
Sure, but would he have had a top five hit or made nearly as much money without the Fleetwood Mac brand? Probably not, using his prior two and one subsequent albums as examples.

The one possibility regarding your list that I’d add: Did Lindsey became insufferable (to them) after the album came out? Because, he seemed to be especially on an ego trip during some of the press (especially re: TITN).

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 08-07-2018, 05:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Frankly, this is all sad. Stevie didn't want Lindsey in the band anymore and Mick went along with it. Business decision, simple as that. I am sure the band and its management have disappointment in the negative response and the less than anticipated ticket sales volume, but it is still significantly more than a Stevieless band would have garnered.

My sadness is ultimately this is our final snapshot of a band that was truly a sophisticated combination of poetry and symphony for all generations.
Old 08-07-2018, 05:16 PM
Ledgie

Quote:
Sure, but would he have had a top five hit or made nearly as much money without the Fleetwood Mac brand? Probably not, using his prior two and one subsequent albums as examples.

The one possibility regarding your list that I’d add: Did Lindsey became insufferable (to them) after the album came out? Because, he seemed to be especially on an ego trip during some of the press (especially re: TITN).
Look everyone can continue to make arguments towards who contributed what, and who has the bigger ego etc... The fact remains, that what the rest of the band did to the guy who contributed the lions share of the work producing the albums that they all got rich from, keeping the band touring when Mcvie left around 2000, (which included a brutal live show that couldn't have been easy for guy pushing 70) is embarrassing.

Does everyone here enjoy all the people they work with all the time? I don't think so. They had to have known that this would hurt the legacy of the band, and Lindsey's legacy and they did it anyway. Why?

I really think there is some deep-seated jealousy that exists on the part of Stevie. She may bring in more financially, but she will never achieve the status that Lindsey quietly has among his peers. How many people have really changed music? Very few. She seems like an unhappy person to me, who unfortunately like many stars is left with no one to tell her no. The last person who did that is gone. Look at the cost.

"In my world everybody stays
Nobody wishes for words they couldn't say"
Old 08-05-2018, 08:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

8/5/2018 by Nicole Pajer

What an A$$, I cannot stand him anymore. How flippant and cruel. And a different story, because the original one was lies.

I'm willing to bet a decent sum of money, that between him and $tevie, at some point they are going to babble and spill all the cruel beans.

I can't wait.
Old 08-05-2018, 08:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovethemac1 View Post
What an A$$, I cannot stand him anymore. How flippant and cruel. And a different story, because the original one was lies.

I'm willing to bet a decent sum of money, that between him and $tevie, at some point they are going to babble and spill all the cruel beans.

I can't wait.
They are going to have to do something----particularly if ticket sales persist at these levels. I have no doubt they will pick up to some degree---but FM is used to selling out arenas....we aren't there yet and with no international leg announced yet....if things don't turnaround, I foresee a lot of backpedaling and revising of the tale. There is no way FM wants to go out like this.