User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 07-30-2016, 08:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back
Talking Fleetwood Mac - Virgin Megastore 01/14/1993

This band interview is fantastic. I have never seen this before. Stevie is not at the interview and is just about to check into rehab and is about to crash into her fireplace overdosing on klonopin.
Interesting stuff here. Mick and Christine cant vote in the United States. Mick outs Christine as a republican but both Mick and Christine say they would have voted for Clinton. Christine contradicts herself many years later in 1995 when she states she would have never voted for Bill Clinton. Lindsey says he voted but is vague. Lindsey takes 2 swipes at Mick Fleetwood about his book. Its clear that Lindsey was not happy with Mick's 1990 book. Christine looks amazing here. She mentions maybe doing a solo album next year (1995). Too bad that never happened.
P.S. Sorry if this has been posted before.

Enjoy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Lc7hE9TIr0

Last edited by Macfan4life; 07-30-2016 at 08:43 PM..
Old 07-31-2016, 02:10 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Christine looked the best during Tango.
Old 07-31-2016, 07:57 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Thanks for this, as I don't recall seeing it. Interesting dynamic, especially round Mick's book talk (C makes a funny comment to J & their giggles had me giggling along). And, the political banter is fun as I forgot that J naturalised long before Mick did so (I think 86 or so for J and early 00s for Mick). Again, thanks. I'm going to rewatch this again.
Old 07-31-2016, 11:41 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Mick and Christine cant vote in the United States. Mick outs Christine as a republican but both Mick and Christine say they would have voted for Clinton. Christine contradicts herself many years later in 1995 when she states she would have never voted for Bill Clinton. Lindsey says he voted but is vague.
I'm happy NOT to know FM's political leanings. It has nothing to do with their music and can only serve to alienate a percentage of their fan base.

Quote:
Christine looks amazing here. She mentions maybe doing a solo album next year (1995). Too bad that never happened.
It did happen. It just took her until 2004 (In the Meantime), which seems speedy when compared with how long it takes the band to put out any new music these days.
Old 07-31-2016, 12:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicepace View Post
I'm happy NOT to know FM's political leanings. It has nothing to do with their music and can only serve to alienate a percentage of their fan base.

It did happen. It just took her until 2004 (In the Meantime), which seems speedy when compared with how long it takes the band to put out any new music these days.
I disagree with everything you said
The band had an extremely rare opportunity to perform at an inaugural ball. Their song Don't Stop was the campaign theme. Its perfectly fine and normal to ask such questions. You really have to admire Christine. In 1995 she said she would not have voted for Bill Clinton but was honored to have her song used. How many artists today would do the same thing? None! You don't really get the political leanings of the band since 2 of them could not vote and they were not wrapped up in politics or political activities.
Lighten up! Did you at least laugh when Christine made the joke she always thought Don't Stop should have been used in an insurance commercial?
Stop letting politicians divide you and put you against your neighbor. Look at George Bush. He loved John Fogerty. He was the most anti-George Bush performer ever. But President Bush had his album Centerfield in his I-pod.

As far as Christine's solo album you mentioned, you are not correct. In the meantime was not even dreamed up until 2002 and 2003 when Christine was bored and she began playing with her nephew. She never intended to create or release a solo album. The solo album she mentions happening "next year" never happened. That would have been even before the Dance tour.

My opinion or love of Fleetwood Mac could never change based on any of the band's political leanings. If anything, this soft interview of their "vague" political leanings makes me like them even more. Many bands would not allow the use of their song but I don't think they allowed it for politics. I think they allowed it for the love of the song and the honor to dig out a golden oldie for a new generation to hear.
Mick says Christine is a republican but then Christine says "I probably would have voted for the democratic ticket" I think Christine was being the well mannered English person and said that since she is honored to play at the ball and Clinton used her song. Even if she didn't mean it, I don't think she would talk ill of the person playing her song.

Last edited by Macfan4life; 07-31-2016 at 06:15 PM..
Old 07-31-2016, 12:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

What a crazy chapter for the band and I remember it well. it was great to see them together for the first time in ten years (live) I remember that Stevie's look at the time shocked many but for me it was great to see "My" band back together. I have always said and say today. "The best thing Bill Clinton" did was brought Fleetwood Mac back together again.
Old 08-01-2016, 01:14 PM
Junior Ledgie

What a treat to see this! Loved hearing a bit from John, and yes Christine looked absolutely beautiful. And Lindsey at his peak of deliciousness (sorry, I'm shallow that way..)

I have to admire the way each handled the questions, some of which must have been annoying/sensitive/tough to answer on the spot. Must have been a very awkward time for them to be interviewed together as a group.
Old 08-01-2016, 01:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I like how Lindsey didn't discount working with Fleetwood Mac in the future and how Christine seemed to walk back not touring, or at least playing occasional live shows. While I enjoyed the "Time" band, this only makes me further wonder what would have happened if they had just waited about ten months to see how Lindsey felt about possibly coming back.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 08-01-2016, 06:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
I like how Lindsey didn't discount working with Fleetwood Mac in the future and how Christine seemed to walk back not touring, or at least playing occasional live shows. While I enjoyed the "Time" band, this only makes me further wonder what would have happened if they had just waited about ten months to see how Lindsey felt about possibly coming back.

When I look back it's hard to believe that it was only 2 years from the releases of TIME and THE DANCE.
Old 08-01-2016, 07:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Inauguration to The Dance

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLY View Post
When I look back it's hard to believe that it was only 2 years from the releases of TIME and THE DANCE.
Clinton's inauguration was January 1993. The Dance came out in August 1997, about 4-1/2 years later (unless I misunderstood your post).
Old 08-01-2016, 07:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbfan View Post
Clinton's inauguration was January 1993. The Dance came out in August 1997, about 4-1/2 years later (unless I misunderstood your post).

You did......Time was released in 1995 and The Dance released in 1997.
Old 01-06-2019, 02:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
someone just dug this back up on social media. interesting to watch, in the light of the last year.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 01-06-2019, 08:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Wonderful to see, and thank you for sharing.
Old 01-06-2019, 09:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Lindsey looks like he wants to die up there.

He tears into Mick and his book and then says, "But there's no hard feeing about that."

Last edited by cbBen; 01-06-2019 at 09:12 PM..
Old 01-06-2019, 10:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Brings back weird memories. I was working at the Sacramento Bee paper at the time. The newsroom was energized by Clinton's victory (most of us were in our twenties and thirties and skewed Democrat) because of our general fatigue with G.H.W. Bush—he was old guard, old fogie, and chicken hawk in our eyes. It was very much a "hate Washington" year, and many of us who had been initially excited about Ross Perot got disillusioned with his inanities by the end of the year. The whole Fleetwood Mac angle of the Clinton campaign and victory was treated in the press as something between sad-corny and happy-corny. I remember Kent Pollock, one of our managing editors, walking by the city desk where the TV was always on (CNN) and saying, "Don't stop thinking about TOMORROW."

The vibe in the press conference with the band was obviously awkward and uneasy. They're all looking down a lot, or off at an angle. Occasionally, you can see Lindsey glance over like a younger brother at Mick, seemingly hoping for some confirmation or validation of a point he's making, but doesn't really get it. In fact, Mick doesn't look at Lindsey at all. Christine is wry and professional, as you would expect, seeming to float above the tension in the room, largely by ruminating on topics unrelated to that tension. Mick and Lindsey are communicating under the polite, uneasy surface. But that communication is obviously not going well.

The most interesting time may have been between the end of the inauguration (when they were all "whisked off," Stevie said) and the call from Stevie to Lindsey to produce Twisted.

moviekinks.blogspot.com

Last edited by David; 01-06-2019 at 10:54 PM..