The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 11-06-2002, 06:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default New Article on Upcoming Album!!!!

NEWS - Upcoming Fleetwood Mac Album Will Have A Rolling Stones Connection
11/06/2002

(11/6/02, 4 p.m. ET) -- Fleetwood Mac is hard at work on a new studio album. Stevie Nicks, Lindsey Buckingham, John McVie, and Mick Fleetwood plan to release the set early next year, followed by a major world tour.

Fleetwood told LAUNCH that the sessions for the project have been going very well, and that the Rolling Stones play a role in the album. "They're still rocking and rolling, and what a great band. They have truly not been given the credit as songwriters that they should have--I mean, Between The Buttons and all that stuff. In fact, there's a couple of interesting surprises on this new Fleetwood Mac album."

Fleetwood declined to elaborate on the surprises, and a spokesperson for the Rolling Stones had no information about what form they might take--including whether or not any of the Stones will appear on the collection.

-- Bruce Simon, New York and Neal Weiss, Los Angeles
Old 11-06-2002, 06:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default re:

Looks like "She Smiled Sweetly" made the cut...
Old 11-06-2002, 06:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

And, (I hope, I hope, I hope) "Gotta Get Away"...actually, I wouldn't care if all FOUR of Lindsey's "GOS" Stones covers make the cut. But, "She Smiled Sweetly" (which sounds like it already has Stevie singing backups) & "Gotta Get Away" (which sounds like the Fleetwood/McVie rhythm section) both sound the most "finished" of the four already.
Old 11-06-2002, 06:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

My personal favorite of the bunch is "The Singer Not The Song"... beautiful.

Maybe Chili's right, and they'll use all four of the Stones covers (though I guess *that* might be overkill).

Johnny Stew
Old 11-06-2002, 07:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

So including the Stones covers + the ones we know will be on there; we know like 10 songs that will prolly make the record.

Sweet!
Old 11-06-2002, 08:07 PM
Senior Ledgie

That's pretty cool news. I liked the sound of all the Stones tracks on GOS. I think this might also give us more evidence that the new album will indeed be 2 discs. I figure if they're giving up a slot or two to songs written by someone else, then there will be plenty of other LB/SN penned songs in the package. I can't really see a 12 or 13 track single CD having more than 1 Stones track on it...

Mike B.
Old 11-06-2002, 08:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

i hope we hear about more stevie songs sometime...we know so many are lindsey songs now, im hoping to hear about some new stevie tunes! , besides the ones we already know. This is great reguardless!
Old 11-06-2002, 08:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

This is brilliant news!!

LB's Stones covers are really good, and also, just imagine what it will do for the album's publicity (videos! etc) and sales if there are the words "Fleetwood Mac", "Rolling Stones", and "New studio album" in the SAME sentence!!!

Old 11-06-2002, 08:46 PM

Was that Mick talking in that article? There was no name with the quote. How strange that they are talking about the Rolling Stones in conjunction with the album. Not that there's anything wrong with it, but I would think Fleetwood Mac would want to push its own songs more.

I vote for The Singer Not the Song and Gotta Get Away. She Smiled Sweetly is OK, but those other two are more interesting musically.
Old 11-06-2002, 08:50 PM
Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by seteca
This is brilliant news!!

.....just imagine what it will do for the album's publicity (videos! etc) and sales if there are the words "Fleetwood Mac", "Rolling Stones", and "New studio album" in the SAME sentence!!!

I was just thinking the same thing! I'll bet it crossed their minds too!

"Searching for silence and dreams that breathe...
If I cannot breathe, then I cannot dream..." SLN
Old 11-07-2002, 01:27 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I've been thinking (I know, I know..."beginners luck")...

With all the hype of Santana doing his last couple of albums with "today's stars" making cameo appearances...Fleetwood Mac, despite the revolving door of personnel, has been pretty much a "closed shop"...despite their "friends" (i.e., Eric Clapton, Mick's Beatle connection back when he was George Harrison's bro-in-law, etc) and MORE than illustrious "family tree", they haven't really called upon their outside liaisons to help out on "Fleetwood Mac" albums (sure, the occasional cameo appears here & there on their less-than-commercially-successful solo works). If "the record company" has been pressuring them to feature some "outsiders" (in the Santana-type way), then the Stones covers are perfectly timed on the heels of the Stones' 40th anniversary tour and the success of their "Forty Licks" GH CD set. I would seriously doubt however that any of the Rolling Stones themselves would appear; but then that would be cool, too. (Lindsey's own "Gift Of Screws" tune is VERY "Stones" sounding) And, also, remember that at the AHI show, Lindsey & Mick did an old Bob Dylan tune ("Love Minus Zero/No Limit")...so maybe NOW, Fleetwood Mac as a unit is going to allow some outside influences into the "inner circle".

I recall reading a couple of years back about Reprise insisting on Lindsey (MORE than reluctantly) doing a duet with Sarah McLachlan for "GOS", however I haven't heard of anything coming of that (unless that's Sarah singing what sounds like Stevie's part on "She Smiled Sweetly") And, how about Lindsey's cover of Joni Mitchell's "Big Yellow Taxi"?? The Joni Mitchell tribute album seems to be permanently shelved as well.

If the new album is SERIOUSLY going to be a double disc set, then one CD of new Lindsey & Stevie material, along with the bonus disc of them doing covers, is kind of intriguing.
Old 11-07-2002, 08:31 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by chiliD
If the new album is SERIOUSLY going to be a double disc set, then one CD of new Lindsey & Stevie material, along with the bonus disc of them doing covers, is kind of intriguing.
Try 'disturbing' not 'intriguing. Are you fgor real - all of Lindsey and Stevie's material knocked down to one CD and a whole cd of covers. What a joke of a 'New FM record' that would be. But I agree with everyone that "a couple of surprises" will mean (not more than) 2 Rolling Stones covers, She Smiled Sweetly and Gotta Get Away, or perhaps an actual Stones appearance on Gift of Screws.
Old 11-07-2002, 10:50 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by CarneVaca
Was that Mick talking in that article? There was no name with the quote. How strange that they are talking about the Rolling Stones in conjunction with the album.
I'm guessing here, but Mick (and according to some, Lindsey too) was spotted at the Stones show at the Wiltern the other day. I'd have to guess that's where this quote was collected and the author of the piece just kind of neglected to include why it was he was drawing any connections between FM and the Stones in the first place. Just a guess though.
Old 11-07-2002, 11:21 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Try 'disturbing' not 'intriguing. Are you fgor (sic) real...

Um...YEAH! Neither Lindsey nor Stevie have been breaking new ground with their writing...Lindsey retreading sounds ("Twist Of Fate" being a knock-off of "Second Hand News"; "Murrow" taking bits & pieces of "World Turning" & "I'm So Afraid", etc); Stevie going back & using 30 year old songs, why NOT see what can be done with somebody else's songs? I'd rather hear some creativity from them doing a GREAT job covering tunes (case in point: the four Stones covers and Donovan's "Try For The Sun" from GOS) than to hear them do their own material poorly. ("COME" being the glaring example...pure doo-doo!) Sure, 98% of GOS is really good "as is"; but, other than "Red Rover" & the title cut, there's not a whole lot of new ground covered on GOS, either.

I've been kind of ho-hum about this new album, but the more I hear about it, the more excited I am to finally have it in my grubby little hands.
Old 11-07-2002, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by chiliD
("COME" being the glaring example...pure doo-doo!) Sure, 98% of GOS is really good "as is"; but, other than "Red Rover" & the title cut, there's not a whole lot of new ground covered on GOS, either.
Interesting take, Chili. I'm an unabashed Lindsey fan, which is no surprise to anyone anymore. And I've seen the commentary on these boards about "Come." It's definitely one of those songs that you hate or love. I am still undecided on it because I want to see how it sounds when it is mastered. I like the musical approach, but I don't like all the screaming.

Overall, I agree that Lindsey did not break much new ground with Gift of Screws. Even "Come" seems to be an updated retread of "This is the Time." "Red Rover" is just weird, but it is beautiful in its weirdness, something that I didn't originally appreciate about that tune. But when you look at "Say Goodbye," in my opinion the prettiest song of them all, you can definitely see the relation between that and the acoustic "Big Love."

Overall, the coolest thing about the Gift of Screws songs was that Lindsey really seemed to have reached that refinement that he was seeking all along. He had beautifully layered songs, but not too layered a la "Out of the Cradle," with good lyrics and more interesting song structures. Yes, "Out of the Cradle" is a masterpiece, but strip off the layers and the songs are pretty bland. But the "Gift of Screws" stuff is excellent without the layers. I can take my Martin and fingerpick "Down on Rodeo" and feel pretty good about it because it sounds interesting. But if I try to just strum the chords to say, "Don't Look Down" (Not the intro, mind you), it sounds kind of dull.

Finally, I would put money on this: After the new album in April, I give it another 12 months or so and the label will release some kind of rarities compilation. This has not yet happened with the Rumours lineup, but we know there's enough material that could be used for such a project. It also would help explain why none of these rarities were used in the compilation released last month, which by the way, I did not and do not plan to buy.