Old 06-14-2007, 02:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Default I Know I'm Not Wrong. Buckingham = Genius

I Know I'm Not Wrong
The Genius of Lindsey Buckingham
BY BRIAN SMITH
THE PORTLAND MERCURY

Every kid who's ever had a half-decent record collection has their favorite overlooked, underappreciated, why-the-hell-haven't-we-devoted-the-entire-state-of-South Dakota-to-their-utterly-brilliant-and-amazing-career songwriter. Whether it's Richard Thompson, Sinéad O'Connor, Mark Linkous, Nick Drake, Patti Smith, Craig Wedren, etc., anyone who's ever cared has sat around and pulled out the wonderfully refreshing and naïve "Man, so-and-so is a genius. How come nobody else gets it? I mean, I know he/she's 'big' and all, but what the hell? How come I have to keep putting them on mix tapes?"

Well, the almighty king of this beautiful world is Lindsey Buckingham. Actually, let's just cut to the point. Lindsey Buckingham = ****ing genius.

Have you thrown on Tusk lately? And no, not in some ironic-coke-party way. The real way, with headphones and all. Danced around and sung, sung, sung with Lindsey as he croons, "That's all for everyone. That's all for me. Last call for everyone." See? Absolute genius.

Former Fleetwood Mac brother in arms, Buckingham recently released Under the Skin, his first solo LP in 14 years, and, well—it's not that bad. Actually, it's pretty damn good. So good, in fact, that Buckingham is on the fourth leg of a tour in support of the record. In speaking with Buckingham, one gets the feeling that perhaps he's the finest songwriter outside of Dylan and Young—the man is still at the top of his game.

"You get to the point in your life where you just do what you want to do," Buckingham says. "I've shelved records like this before, just because I knew other people wanted Fleetwood Mac or something different. And I love Mac. They allow me to do this. But this is what I'm most proud of. It's like painting. I just sit at home and paint and create songs."

Lindsey Buckingham = genius painter.

He continues, "In the past, I've always tried to be a team player. I think I'm old enough now to push the boundaries and just let everything go."
Old 06-14-2007, 03:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Thanks macman. What a weird piece. is it cynical? Why does it have this title? No, I don't get this one. and it ends so abrupt.

Old 06-14-2007, 03:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

No, I think it's sincere. I rather enjoyed this piece.
Old 06-14-2007, 07:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Hey MacMan! You beat me to it. I live in Portland (got tickets to the show!)and just happened to read the Mercury article, which I thought was great. I was just about to post the article here. You saved me a lot of typing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacMan View Post
I Know I'm Not Wrong
The Genius of Lindsey Buckingham
BY BRIAN SMITH
THE PORTLAND MERCURY

Every kid who's ever had a half-decent record collection has their favorite overlooked, underappreciated, why-the-hell-haven't-we-devoted-the-entire-state-of-South Dakota-to-their-utterly-brilliant-and-amazing-career songwriter. Whether it's Richard Thompson, Sinéad O'Connor, Mark Linkous, Nick Drake, Patti Smith, Craig Wedren, etc., anyone who's ever cared has sat around and pulled out the wonderfully refreshing and naïve "Man, so-and-so is a genius. How come nobody else gets it? I mean, I know he/she's 'big' and all, but what the hell? How come I have to keep putting them on mix tapes?"

Well, the almighty king of this beautiful world is Lindsey Buckingham. Actually, let's just cut to the point. Lindsey Buckingham = ****ing genius.

Have you thrown on Tusk lately? And no, not in some ironic-coke-party way. The real way, with headphones and all. Danced around and sung, sung, sung with Lindsey as he croons, "That's all for everyone. That's all for me. Last call for everyone." See? Absolute genius.

Former Fleetwood Mac brother in arms, Buckingham recently released Under the Skin, his first solo LP in 14 years, and, well—it's not that bad. Actually, it's pretty damn good. So good, in fact, that Buckingham is on the fourth leg of a tour in support of the record. In speaking with Buckingham, one gets the feeling that perhaps he's the finest songwriter outside of Dylan and Young—the man is still at the top of his game.

"You get to the point in your life where you just do what you want to do," Buckingham says. "I've shelved records like this before, just because I knew other people wanted Fleetwood Mac or something different. And I love Mac. They allow me to do this. But this is what I'm most proud of. It's like painting. I just sit at home and paint and create songs."

Lindsey Buckingham = genius painter.

He continues, "In the past, I've always tried to be a team player. I think I'm old enough now to push the boundaries and just let everything go."
Old 06-14-2007, 07:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

"You get to the point in your life where you just do what you want to do,"
that is so going on my myspace

It is nice to see people recognize[sp??] that he has a lot to do with how the mac opperates
Old 06-14-2007, 08:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I think this is the best article of the tour...
Old 06-14-2007, 09:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by shackin'up View Post
Thanks macman. What a weird piece. is it cynical? Why does it have this title? No, I don't get this one. and it ends so abrupt.
This was essentially a blurb in a very alternative free news magazine here in weird and wonderful Portland. I think it's great.
Old 06-17-2007, 09:47 AM
takenbythesky
This message has been deleted by takenbythesky.