The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Stevie Nicks
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read


Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 04-27-2020, 02:02 PM
tabruns tabruns is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 1,073
Default Deluxe Nicks

I've been catching up with the deluxe releases of Mac and Nicks albums. I'm struck that some of the alternate versions of some songs are (IMO) better than the ones that ended up on the actual album.

"Think About It" is one of these. I think the alternate version is more substantial and interesting than the official version. I like the strumming acoustics which ended up being cut out.

This is true also for "How Still My Love", which on the official version sounds like a warmed over "Dreams" knock-off thanks to the guitar part. The alternate version that's more keyboard based makes the song sound like its own entity.

The version of "I Sing For The Things" from the WILD HEART sessions is also better than the slowed down version that ended up on ROCK A LITTLE.

"If You Were My Love" was best in the Mac demo for MIRAGE. I like the "oomph" that Mac gave the song - all the Nicks only versions are overly ballad-y, IMO.

"The Dealer" (WILD HEART sessions) is more interesting than the version that ended up on 24 KARAT GOLD, I think. The organ and drum parts are better.

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote
.
  #2  
Old 04-27-2020, 04:33 PM
Macfan4life's Avatar
Macfan4life Macfan4life is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Somewhere out in the back of your mind
Posts: 3,013
Default

I was just listening to the alternate "Sable on Blonde" for the first time in a year or so. OMG I think its slightly better than the album version. Maybe Stevie was loyal to Mick because his track made the album. I just love how the song begins and builds. The album version is a more tranquil dreamy version while the alternative is a bit more rocking which I like.
I also love Wild Heart. Its faster and has intensity compared to the album track. I also agree with you about I Sing For The Things.
Wild Heart is a step down or two from Bella Donna. But it had such potential to be a Bella Donna 2. I wish All the Beautiful Worlds and Sleeping Angel made the cut along with Garbo (the album needed at least one song with an acoustic guitar). Gate and Garden has such a beautiful vocal that its probably one of her best. With Roy's piano its hard to pass up but I never cared for the song but I understand why it made the album. If it was not for Roy's playing I doubt it would have seen the light of day. I also wish Nightbird never made the album either.
Here would be my dream Wild Heart

Wild Heart (deluxe album version or something similar to it. The song still needed work but its better than the album version)
If Anyone Falls - its near perfect but I would have turned up Waddy's playing. His guitar on the song is amazing
I will run to you
Sleeping Angel
Garbo or I Sing for the things

Stand Back
Sable on Blonde (deluxe version)
Enchanted
Nothing Ever Changes
Beauty and the Beast
__________________

Still I believe.....BACKSTABBING AND BETRAYAL will show us how

Last edited by Macfan4life; 04-27-2020 at 04:45 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-29-2020, 08:21 PM
tabruns tabruns is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 1,073
Default

Yeah, this is one of the things I love about iTunes. My version of THE WILD HEART adds in "Sleeping Angel" and "Violet and Blue". I don't remove anything because I generally like the songs on the album, although I agree it wasn't BELLA DONNA 2 but maybe could have been.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-30-2020, 11:56 AM
David's Avatar
David David is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: California
Posts: 13,881
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabruns View Post
"The Dealer" (WILD HEART sessions) is more interesting than the version that ended up on 24 KARAT GOLD, I think. The organ and drum parts are better.
Thatís Stan Lynch on drums, Ron Blair on bass, and Benmont Tench on organ. Itís a Heartbreakers sessionóno wonder itís so marvelous, right? You canít do better than c. 1980 Heartbreakers on your studio track. They should have done the whole Bella Donna album. As it is, with the Heartbreakers on a few tracks and a Kunkel+Bittan+Wachtel+Glaub configuration on the rest, the album has sort of a split personality. Itís like listening to an anthology with a little TP and the Heartbreakers, a little Eagles, some Booker T, some Little Feat, some Jersey, and a whole lot of El Lay.
__________________

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-30-2020, 01:29 PM
Macfan4life's Avatar
Macfan4life Macfan4life is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Somewhere out in the back of your mind
Posts: 3,013
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
Thatís Stan Lynch on drums, Ron Blair on bass, and Benmont Tench on organ. Itís a Heartbreakers sessionóno wonder itís so marvelous, right? You canít do better than c. 1980 Heartbreakers on your studio track. They should have done the whole Bella Donna album. As it is, with the Heartbreakers on a few tracks and a Kunkel+Bittan+Wachtel+Glaub configuration on the rest, the album has sort of a split personality. Itís like listening to an anthology with a little TP and the Heartbreakers, a little Eagles, some Booker T, some Little Feat, some Jersey, and a whole lot of El Lay.
You know what...that mixture made it great
__________________

Still I believe.....BACKSTABBING AND BETRAYAL will show us how
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-30-2020, 04:30 PM
HomerMcvie's Avatar
HomerMcvie HomerMcvie is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Indiana/Tennessee
Posts: 11,668
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
You know what...that mixture made it great
I always said that that was why Bella Donna was so good. It has a classic rock vibe(sounds like the Eagles are her backing band). When she turned to a synthesizer sound later, sh*t rolled down hill.
__________________
I will CRUSH YOU!!!! KAREN BRING ME MY FLIP PHONE!
And I'm David, not Homer!(we all should be able to change our name, at least once)
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-03-2020, 09:42 AM
Macfan4life's Avatar
Macfan4life Macfan4life is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Somewhere out in the back of your mind
Posts: 3,013
Default

One of my favorites off the deluxe Bella Donna is this powerful How Still My Love
OMG. How do you choose because both versions are so good. She was so on top of her game.

I LOVE THIS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7ugTBvApho
__________________

Still I believe.....BACKSTABBING AND BETRAYAL will show us how
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 05-07-2020, 05:30 PM
Jondalar's Avatar
Jondalar Jondalar is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 6,307
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabruns View Post
I've been catching up with the deluxe releases of Mac and Nicks albums. I'm struck that some of the alternate versions of some songs are (IMO) better than the ones that ended up on the actual album.

"Think About It" is one of these. I think the alternate version is more substantial and interesting than the official version. I like the strumming acoustics which ended up being cut out.

This is true also for "How Still My Love", which on the official version sounds like a warmed over "Dreams" knock-off thanks to the guitar part. The alternate version that's more keyboard based makes the song sound like its own entity.

The version of "I Sing For The Things" from the WILD HEART sessions is also better than the slowed down version that ended up on ROCK A LITTLE.

"If You Were My Love" was best in the Mac demo for MIRAGE. I like the "oomph" that Mac gave the song - all the Nicks only versions are overly ballad-y, IMO.

"The Dealer" (WILD HEART sessions) is more interesting than the version that ended up on 24 KARAT GOLD, I think. The organ and drum parts are better.

Thoughts?
I disagree with If You Were Love and the Dealer. They were much better on the 24k Gold album. If You Were My Love was the vocal and emotional highlight from the album.

Last edited by Jondalar; 05-08-2020 at 12:07 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 05-07-2020, 06:21 PM
mitzo mitzo is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 1,630
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jondalar View Post
I disagree with If You Were Love and the Dealer. They were much on the 24k Gold album. If You Were My Love was the vocal and emotional highlight from the album.
Wow, I thought I was the only 24KG If You Were My Love fan. One of her all time best, IMO.
__________________
I give up.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 05-08-2020, 07:44 AM
Jondalar's Avatar
Jondalar Jondalar is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 6,307
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitzo View Post
Wow, I thought I was the only 24KG If You Were My Love fan. One of her all time best, IMO.
It was my favorite song off the album and I"m not alone. There were others who named it as the best song off the album. Perfect vocal. Perfect production. Perfect emotion. The way the song undwinds is perfect. It's one of her best ballads, and she has a lot of great ballads.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 05-08-2020, 10:26 AM
mitzo mitzo is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 1,630
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jondalar View Post
It was my favorite song off the album and I"m not alone. There were others who named it as the best song off the album. Perfect vocal. Perfect production. Perfect emotion. The way the song undwinds is perfect. It's one of her best ballads, and she has a lot of great ballads.
The ballads are always best because that is where we get a perfect combination of songwriting, vocals, and emotion. In the ballads you realize that she actually is a great singer. In midtempo and other stuff she often comes across as flat and shouty.
__________________
I give up.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 05-09-2020, 12:03 AM
tabruns tabruns is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 1,073
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jondalar View Post
I disagree with If You Were Love and the Dealer. They were much better on the 24k Gold album. If You Were My Love was the vocal and emotional highlight from the album.
So many critics did laud 24 KARAT GOLD as an excellent album, and I think it helped cement Nicks getting into the Hall of Fame as the first woman to be awarded twice.

For me, "If You Were My Love" in the non-Mac versions is simply too slow. I find it meandering (same with "All The Beautiful Worlds").
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:01 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
© 1995-2003 Martin and Lisa Adelson, All Rights Reserved