The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Christine McVie
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 03-05-2011, 09:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

She spends her time drinking vodka tonics and surfing The Ledge.
Old 03-06-2011, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by APerfectLie View Post
In her bathrobe
Old 03-06-2011, 01:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by APerfectLie View Post
What's her user name?

Someone once suggested she should use Perky Ditty Writer

Gail
Old 03-07-2011, 10:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButterCookie View Post
I think it's safe to accept, like Louie said, she'll never perform live again. She's had stage fright from day 1, she's too intelligent to put herself through that again .....
Quote:
Originally Posted by louielouie2000 View Post
.... She hated touring and performing since day 1. Don't believe me? Listen to the 1971 Fleetwood Mac song Homeward Bound. That's probably why she was perma-drunk for decades... to blunt that anxiety. She's nearly 70 now... it's safe to say she's done having to put up with that .
Even though there are supposedly reliable sources, it's hard to me to believe in the "day 1" hate/fright issue. If that is true, I'd disagree with ButterCookie about Christine being intelligent. She would be the N.1 Idiot in the planet. Because after Rumours she was millonaire, she could have left the band and do whatever she wants.

Besides, I have not seen her "perma-drunk" state. At Tango tour video, she was the leader of the show (while Stevie was "comfortably" numb), she looked happy (not like in the Dance video), gorgeous and sober. I can't believe she was scared or unhappy. At Mirage video she looked beautiful and secure too. Probably the 70s were the excess phase for the whole band, including Christine, but can't remember news about Christine falling drunk, passing out, or involved in scandal, etc. during the 80s. Can't say the same about Stevie or Mick.

I do believe she hated the 1997 Reunion tour, and didn't want to go on the road since then. But about the past, I can't find a reason why she would be forced to go on, specially after Rumours when, as a single wealthy woman, could take any decision she wants.

Last edited by Villavic; 03-07-2011 at 10:30 PM..
Old 03-08-2011, 10:27 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villavic View Post
Even though there are supposedly reliable sources, it's hard to me to believe in the "day 1" hate/fright issue. If that is true, I'd disagree with ButterCookie about Christine being intelligent. She would be the N.1 Idiot in the planet. Because after Rumours she was millonaire, she could have left the band and do whatever she wants.

I do believe she hated the 1997 Reunion tour, and didn't want to go on the road since then. But about the past, I can't find a reason why she would be forced to go on, specially after Rumours when, as a single wealthy woman, could take any decision she wants.
I would assume that some of the reason she had to keep touring/recording early on is that she still had to fulfill her contract. I don't know why she chose to continue after that. Maybe she felt she 'owed' it to the other members of FM.
Old 03-08-2011, 02:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by holidayroad View Post
I would assume that some of the reason she had to keep touring/recording early on is that she still had to fulfill her contract. I don't know why she chose to continue after that. Maybe she felt she 'owed' it to the other members of FM.
Yes, I thought about a contract issue too. Maybe it included Tusk, but for Mirage and Tango they were on their own, got their own lawyers, copyrights, etc. Hard to believe she felt forced.
Besides, when you have money, you have the power to change/disolve any contract. Remember Farrah Fawcett. She wanted to leave Charlie's Angels after season 1, and that was really harmful for her career, but she wanted to do it and she did it. And I guess she had less money than Christine.

My point is.. when you hate to do something, when something really makes you unhappy (and if you have the power to change your situation), you just don't do it, unless you are masochistic.

I want also to correct my previous post. According to Mick, she left touring not in 1997, but during Behind the Mask:

(1990)That summer's series of Euro shows also saw both Chris and Stevie announce in midtour that they would be leaving the band. Both women were weatlthy and famous, and neither felt like continuing the pressure and the pace that went along with life in Fleetwood Mac. The two ladies reached this decision together, although both indicated they would continue to record with the band in the future.

I still think Chris was wealthy since Rumours phenomenom. (I read at other sources that the actual reason was S/C were upset with Mick because he wrote his autobio and included personal Chris and Stevie facts they didn't want to share).

Maybe yes, she felt she owed to the band (after all the Mirage tour was short, and Tango tour was within the turmoil of Lindsey leaving the band). But then I'd think that she started not to enjoy touring during late 80s, but that's far of a fright/hate feeling since day n.1

Last edited by Villavic; 03-08-2011 at 02:55 PM..
Old 03-08-2011, 04:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villavic View Post
My point is.. when you hate to do something, when something really makes you unhappy (and if you have the power to change your situation), you just don't do it, unless you are masochistic.
Or maybe, just maybe, you care too much about another band member who needs you to more or less survive and don't want to leave them on their own with the band members who broke her heart.

Oh Yeah Christine McVie | Tumblr
Old 03-08-2011, 09:36 PM

In my opinion I believe Christine McVie did appreciate touring and the lifestyle for a very long time. Yes, it takes it toll on everyone.. Look at Lindsey, he had to stop for a while. I believe as 2000 approached 30 years of doing it was just the end of the line for her.

As for Homeward Bound, for me that song is about being homesick. She had 2 lives... One of domestication, and the other of this rock n roll star. I would die to do a world tour.. but at the same time I'd miss my cat and my bed. Most of us would... HB is a great tune by the way.

In one interview during BTM tour she stated something along the lines of.. going out to promote Behind the Mask and play it live is really what it's all about for me.

If you ask me, I think that Christine felt there wasn't much left in FM after The Dance. It became sort of a cash machine with little magic and a lot of noise. I think she felt she had enough money and she wanted to live back in England in the rural peace. Retirement is awesome for people that worked hard for it. And I believe she worked hard. What I do not believe is that she hating touring and being in FM in general.
Old 03-10-2011, 03:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I've always figured that Chris loved the actual performing, but found all the travel and the logistics to be drudgery. Of course during the wealthy years she had all the arrangements made for her all the time, so it became tolerable. I also think she loved being a star. People always say that she was the quiet one, letting Stevie dominate the limelight, but everybody in that band got their share of attention from fans and media.
Old 03-10-2011, 04:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Weren't her neighbors mad at her for building a fence on some land she bought a few years ago? Or something. Whatever happened with that?
Old 03-11-2011, 02:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by markolas View Post
Weren't her neighbors mad at her for building a fence on some land she bought a few years ago? Or something. Whatever happened with that?
I think she was part of a consortium that bought some land to stop it being developed. But then the consortium fenced off part of it that had previously been open to everyone.

In small villages like the one she lives in people don't like things like that.

Gail
Old 03-12-2011, 12:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gailh View Post
I think she was part of a consortium that bought some land to stop it being developed. But then the consortium fenced off part of it that had previously been open to everyone.

In small villages like the one she lives in people don't like things like that.

Gail
And, according to the article, Christine was against the fence building, too.