The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Stevie Nicks
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 08-22-2014, 07:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I hope it's just the quality of the clip, but the mixes on everything I've heard so far sounds really muddy. On this, Stevie's voice is extremely up front while the background music feels like it's coming from the next room over. Hopefully it's just the clip.
Old 08-22-2014, 07:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

It's a little on the slow side for me. I wish it were faster.
Old 08-22-2014, 07:50 PM
Ledgie

That's the same baseline as Dreams .

The snippets sound is really compressed on Instagram , the quality will be way better on the official release
Old 08-22-2014, 09:02 PM
Senior Ledgie

I always thought if Christine was really in Nashville the same time as Stevie, they were not just hanging out. I bet Chris played keys and sang back up on at least one track. Based off the demo, this was the song I had in mind for them. Their voices would blend well on this song.
Old 08-22-2014, 09:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Probably my least favorite so far but of course will really need to hear more .Not bad but a bit underwhelming after the one two punch of Mabel Normand and Belle Fleur which sound like they could blow away the demos.

Old 08-22-2014, 11:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I agree about Mabel Normand and Belle Fleur - I really love how those turned out. I'm still hoping that "I Don't Care" is a blockbuster rocker all the way through. I'm still excited about the album - and I love ATBW in the demo - but this snippet makes me worried. The rest of the clips so far have been enjoyable. This one, not so much.
Old 08-23-2014, 01:28 AM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAl84 View Post
I hope it's just the quality of the clip, but the mixes on everything I've heard so far sounds really muddy. On this, Stevie's voice is extremely up front while the background music feels like it's coming from the next room over. Hopefully it's just the clip.
I agree. But it still sounds good.
I'm really glad that she recorded this and tried to stay true to the demo's on these songs. ATBW is one of my favorites!
I hope she'll do another album like this.
Old 08-23-2014, 02:08 AM
Addicted Ledgie

It's ok, but I will wait until I have the actual CD to make up my mind.
Old 08-23-2014, 08:36 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default interesting..

I like the sound of the background music - reminds me of "Alice" on The Other Side of the Mirror - which I love. hmm.. interesting. Is it September 30th yet - my Angel date?
Old 08-23-2014, 10:49 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetAngel86 View Post
however, you have not even heard the whole version of any of these songs yet
so you can't really say that she's limiting herself vocally...yet
Very true! And the vocals on the Mabel Normand snippet are already epic.
I'm not the man you think I am. My love has never lived indoors - I had to drag it home by four, hired hounds at both my wrists, damp and bruised by strangers' kisses on my lips. But you're the one that I still miss. Neko Case
Old 08-23-2014, 12:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I really love the original Beautiful Worlds '82 outtake. And always believed it to be one of the greatest Stevie solo songs that got away! Maybe at that time she thought it was too sad to release on the untamed Wild Heart. Or perhaps it was axed at the 11th hour, after all "Stand Back" was the final song recorded in January '83. Or maybe Jimmy simply didn't like it, or they didn't care for the way it turned out. No matter what happened, I believe it was a huge mistake leaving behind this sorrowful masterpiece. This is a long way to go to proclaim "All The Beautiful Worlds" as probably my all time favorite vault song, if had to choose only one. Ultimately, this song is intuitively tragic and crestfallen. The stinging lyrics - "Well, I see through that smile, and I see through the heart of you" and the hardest hitting revelation of all - "You say you're leaving, baby, you don't want to tell me why. After all this time to think you…don't even say goodbye!"

So, upon hearing this new, more subdued arrangement, it immediately struck me how this approach wisely suits where Stevie is at now. A meditation on her illustrious past, and the relationship's that we're sabotaged, by her own admission, as a result of her putting music, and ultimately her fame, before everything else. This 2014 version feels mournful and lilting - a fitting conclusion. I like what I hear, and cannot wait to hear the whole song with dymanic sound quality, not a crappy 15 second Instagram compressed snippet.

While "Mabel" is the most intriguing clip so far. This is my favorite clip yet. At the end of the day, ATBW has always been an impressive song with a very strong melody and hook. So I happily welcome any version of "All The Beautiful Worlds". And I'm so delighted she finally decided to revisit this one, as I believe it always deserved a proper release.

Last edited by Christopher; 08-23-2014 at 04:10 PM..
Old 08-23-2014, 04:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher View Post
No matter what happened, I believe it was a huge mistake leaving behind this sorrowful masterpiece.
I don't disagree, but I always felt more strongly in this way about Belle Fleur, at least in the context of The Wild Heart.

Quote:
"You say you're leaving, baby, you don't want to tell me why. After all this time to think you…don't even say goodbye!"
I love these lyrics, but I think the best placement is still in Telephone/Forget About Me from the Buckingham Nicks shows.

Quote:
While "Mabel" is the most intriguing clip so far. This is my favorite clip yet. At the end of the day, ATBW has always been an impressive song with a very strong melody and hook. So I happily welcome any version of "All The Beautiful Worlds". And I'm so delighted she finally decided to revisit this one, as I believe it always deserved a proper release.
Agreed on both counts.