User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 08-19-2014, 06:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher View Post
Not really. Stevie has been in a mid-tempo groove pretty much all her career with few exceptions. The fastest tempo song she's EVER released was "Fall From Grace" or "Enchanted"
"In Your Dreams" "Ghosts Are Gone" are fast songs as well...
Old 08-19-2014, 06:27 PM
Ledgie

I love it !
I think the mid tempo groove is totally Stevie
Gypsy , Dreams , Sara , Secret Love .etc
All have a similar BPM's
Coincidentally (or not ) it is very similar to the average resting. human heart beat .
Old 08-19-2014, 06:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

We are getting a very distinct kind of album from Stevie. As others have mentioned, it's more straight forward rock and roll; less sheen and more grit.

I think this is the result of the atypical way she and Dave made the album; recorded in record time, so there was no room for tinkering -- they just banged the songs out, since the templates for them were already there. This process has served them well.

Last edited by PenguinHead; 08-19-2014 at 08:11 PM..
Old 08-19-2014, 07:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinHead View Post
We are getting a very distinct kind of album from Stevie. As others have mentioned, it's more straight forward rock and roll; less sheen and more grit.

I think this is the result of the atypical way she and Dave made the album; recorded in record time, so there was no room for tinkering -- just bang the songs out, since the templates for them were already there. This process has served them well.
I endorse this statement.
Old 08-19-2014, 07:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

It does seem though that there are very few if any piano/keyboards on these versions… which was kind of the hallmark of so many of the demos. Am curious if it really will be an overwhelmingly guitar-based bunch of songs. Sounds like it from the snippets, but who can tell.
Old 08-19-2014, 07:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sorcerer999 View Post
I really think (based on what little we've heard, mind you) that you could be right! Perhaps some Grammy nods and (finally) a RRHOF induction? It's sounding too good not to make a huge splash on the media radar, whether that be radio (who hasn't been playing her stuff for over a decade now), print, film (soundtracks), etc. And if it DOES turn out to be the most "critically acclaimed" of her career, how ironic would that be, seeing as how all these tracks were basically "castaways" (again, no pun intended) from previous efforts.

Agreed. In MY dreams, though, it's a proper version of "Lady From the Mountain"...but that's MY "wishful thinking", which is even more farfetched at this point.
oi, what are you doing in MY dreams? lol
that is my wish too
and a grammy for Stevie ... bloody hell
that might inspire her to do another record
i love everything off the album so far, snippet wise
i didn't think i would tbh
Old 08-19-2014, 07:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Another great snippet .Love the production here.Belle Fleur had a strong melody to begin with so it didn't need much tampering with.I am anxious to hear what they did with some of the ones where the melody wasn't so strong.

Old 08-19-2014, 07:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinHead View Post
I think this is the result of the atypical way she and Dave made the album; recorded in record time, so there was no room for tinkering -- just bang the songs out, since the templates for them were already there. This process has served them well.
Yeah. Listening to both "The Dealer" and the other 4 snippits thus far, it seems like they didn't do very many overdubs.
Old 08-19-2014, 08:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Originally posted by sorcerer999
Quote:
Listening to both "The Dealer" and the other 4 snippits thus far, it seems like they didn't do very many overdubs
I agree that this is most probably the case, primarily due to time constraints, but it suits me rather well. There is much to admire on both TISL and IYD, but they do suffer from being over-produced in part. I imagine some fans will not respond well to the more stripped back production of 24KG if the response to "The Dealer" is any indication. There almost needs to be a warning sticker advising that these are essentially live takes and not polished performances.
Old 08-19-2014, 08:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil View Post
Originally posted by sorcerer999

I agree that this is most probably the case, primarily due to time constraints, but it suits me rather well. There is much to admire on both TISL and IYD, but they do suffer from being over-produced in part. I imagine some fans will not respond well to the more stripped back production of 24KG if the response to "The Dealer" is any indication. There almost needs to be a warning sticker advising that these are essentially live takes and not polished performances.
I love that about it. I haven't been this excited about a Stevie Nicks album since I rushed out and bought Street Angel (at Wal-Mart, of all places, with one of those cuts in the side of the CD case, for $4.99).
Old 08-19-2014, 08:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by louielouie2000 View Post
This has quickly become my favorite snippet so far. Which is unexpected for me, it really wasn't one of the demos that captured my heart. But this finished clip is a real foot tapper- I could easily see this making a splash on the country charts. I wonder if this is something Camp Stevie has ever considered venturing into?

I know I've said it before, but I can't get over how 100% classic every single one of these songs is sounding. This might just shape up to be the most critically acclaimed album of Stevie's career.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod~A~Little View Post
I loved the RAL era/album as well. I love seeing her "selfies" during that time period. I think it was a brilliant move to record these demos and turn them into an album. There are a few demos I would have loved to seen make the album, but I'm not complaining at all. I figured it was going to be another 10 years after IYDs before another album surfaced. And, I believe her when she sings, "I sing for the things money can't buy."
Quote:
Originally Posted by sorcerer999 View Post
I really think (based on what little we've heard, mind you) that you could be right! Perhaps some Grammy nods and (finally) a RRHOF induction? It's sounding too good not to make a huge splash on the media radar, whether that be radio (who hasn't been playing her stuff for over a decade now), print, film (soundtracks), etc. And if it DOES turn out to be the most "critically acclaimed" of her career, how ironic would that be, seeing as how all these tracks were basically "castaways" (again, no pun intended) from previous efforts.

Agreed. In MY dreams, though, it's a proper version of "Lady From the Mountain"...but that's MY "wishful thinking", which is even more farfetched at this point.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoursAndHours View Post
I'm feeling that way too, like this album could 1) blow up, and 2) leave a mark when it does. I'm cautiously hopeful on that. There are some really (IMO) great albums out there that got next to no attention.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetAngel86 View Post
oi, what are you doing in MY dreams? lol
that is my wish too
and a grammy for Stevie ... bloody hell
that might inspire her to do another record

i love everything off the album so far, snippet wise
i didn't think i would tbh
With this looking like it will be another great album (perhaps even better than "IYD" ) from Stevie and Dave I think there is a STRONG chance Warner brothers could offer Stevie a 5 year 3 record deal (or something similar)...The question is whether Stevie would choose to finish out her solo career with 4 or 5 strong solo albums and build on the respect she has finally been receiving these past few years instead of the "cash cow' FM tours...
Old 08-20-2014, 01:58 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDenimLamp View Post
With this looking like it will be another great album (perhaps even better than "IYD" ) from Stevie and Dave I think there is a STRONG chance Warner brothers could offer Stevie a 5 year 3 record deal (or something similar)...The question is whether Stevie would choose to finish out her solo career with 4 or 5 strong solo albums and build on the respect she has finally been receiving these past few years instead of the "cash cow' FM tours...
i would hope she'd "end" her career solo-y
but dollar-signs-in-eyes usually wins over, no?

she could do The Vault deux
and a record of new songs
and then a smaller EP type thing with the Rhiannon songs, with film clips or movies ... ala Beyonce
Old 08-20-2014, 10:00 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetAngel86 View Post
i would hope she'd "end" her career solo-y
but dollar-signs-in-eyes usually wins over, no?

she could do The Vault deux
and a record of new songs
and then a smaller EP type thing with the Rhiannon songs, with film clips or movies ... ala Beyonce
I think Stevie's latter day career isn't just about money, although it's certainly a big factor. With aging it gets harder to carry a show by one's self, given the limitations of one's voice- and Stevie has been plagued with voice problems from early in her FM career. One of the benefits of Fleetwood Mac is the team effort: there are three singers. They can also drag Mick out with the vest, add a drum solo, etc to relieve the singers.

The "big machine" is helpful to all Fleetwood Mac members. Yes, it pays more. They command a bigger ticket fee. Additionally, with Fleetwood Mac, Stevie (and Lindsey . . . and Christine) doesn't have to pay for all the musicians, lighting crews, roadies, equipment, etc herself. They share the expenses. Stevie doesn't exactly tour economically when she goes solo. (Of course next to Rod Stewart, on that disaster outting, her solo band looked rather meager.)
Old 08-20-2014, 11:29 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I'm probably starting to sound like a broken record.........but.....

It's another great snippet!!
Old 08-20-2014, 01:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
I think Stevie's latter day career isn't just about money

Nah. It has ALWAYS been about the money!!! Ha!

But seriously, what she has done of late is as good as anything she did in late 70s and early 80s when she was at her "peak" of creative output. She is "back" in a big way MORE than she was from 1996-2003

IN the last 4 years she has been as active as she ever was. Between her two albums, a FM EP, a tour, appearances on TV, Documentaries, Tributes, Lady Antebellum Crossroads, Duets, random appearances on other albums, random appearances at other concerts (Maroon 5), Oprah... I would say she has been on more records and had higher output than ever. AND most of it has been quality and original, non-rehash of OLD things like the era immediately preceding it with Enchanted, Crystal Visions and Live IN Chicago. Besides the FM tour being another "Greatest Hits" tour I mean.