User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 08-19-2014, 07:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Originally posted by HoursAndHours
Quote:
You know, the end of Secret Love makes so much more sense when followed by the beginning of Everybody Loves You. That ending drives me up the f'ing wall, like it was supposed to go into another song.
Well it was reported after the In Your Dreams listening party (in late 2010/early 2011?) that "Secret Love" originally ran for another minute or so, indicating that the abrupt ending was due to it being a single edit. I asked this specific question to one of this forum's members who was present at this event and they confirmed that "Secret Love" faded out. If this was correct, I'm assuming the chorus would have been repeated again. However, if this had been the case, surely Stevie would have performed it in full during the IYD tour?
Old 08-19-2014, 08:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil View Post
Originally posted by HoursAndHours

Well it was reported after the In Your Dreams listening party (in late 2010/early 2011?) that "Secret Love" originally ran for another minute or so, indicating that the abrupt ending was due to it being a single edit. I asked this specific question to one of this forum's members who was present at this event and they confirmed that "Secret Love" faded out. If this was correct, I'm assuming the chorus would have been repeated again. However, if this had been the case, surely Stevie would have performed it in full during the IYD tour?
Interesting. Either way, if you take out the silence at the end of Secret Love, and let it lead straight in to the synth on Everybody Loves You, it works much better (to my ear, anyway) than the transition into For What It's Worth on the released version. Of course, adding My Heart as the opener to this alternate sequence works wonders too.
Old 08-19-2014, 08:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sorcerer999 View Post
Good idea, except instead of replacing "Barney" with "My Heart", I'd give "New Orleans" the boot and put "MH" there instead. Personal preference!
omg no! New Orleans is one of my faves on IYD. Delete Cheaper Than Free since it saw a release on Dave Stewart's album. the redundancy baffled me
Old 08-19-2014, 09:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I agree that "Cheaper Than Free" should have only been on Dave's album, not least because it is so stylistically different from everything else on IYD.
In terms of quality control, I would have removed "Wide Sargasso Sea" and "Soldier's Angel", both of which are utterly atrocious. Then I would have remixed "In Your Dreams" and "Ghosts Are Gone" as both productions sound too dense to me.
"My Heart" would have remained a bonus track, nothing more.
With these alterations, you'd have a reasonably decent album.
Old 08-20-2014, 07:05 AM
Ledgie

I like the ending of "Secret Love" as it is.
What I find interesting is that "New Orleans", "Moonlight" and "Annabel Lee" are all in the same key. They could've made a continuous mix for these three songs, because they blend really, really good.