Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 03-04-2010, 05:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodyhead View Post
Thanks muchly for all this new footage

It would appear that peter seems to be having a good time back in Great Britain.
I think there is something to what was said about not getting stale with material.
its great to hear him do some or these songs live

this stuff is pure bliss. thank you

I noticed on some of the youtube comments someone posted (I have to think it was a doctor)
that peter should get his throat checked out for polyps.

quote: Old singers have often lumps on their vocal cords. If left untreated, they may prevent the singer from exercising his profession. Peter Green has been singer more than 40 years
There is a treat.after that single operation it might be possible to hear Peter Green sing still once more laud and clear.
If You want to know more, google: nodulus plicae vocalis. (and inform P.G.)

what do you think?

this is a real doodyhead question
I don't think Peter sounds as if he's having nodules on his vocal cords.
But I'd gladly give him a free indirect laryngoscopy and find out!

I'd say Peter's diagnosis is this: Blues voice
Old 03-04-2010, 05:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default blues voice indeed

Thanks Dr D

I wondered at one time if his voice had "cracked" but I have since listened to the way he sings and I have grown accustomed to his older voice. He sounds more like a "bluesman" than ever.(Apologies to politics of correctness)

I would love to have the nuance that his voice has. I would more likely get a hold of the sound guys to come up with a better strategy for miking him , but maybe I am too critical, especially since I am not listening to the house feed.

vinnie c
Old 03-05-2010, 12:47 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansven View Post
These clips are stunning!
Cool to hear new songs. I think that's "necessary" for Peter. To keep changing the setlist and keep things fresh. That was (I think) a problem with Splinter Group. Very little variation in their shows.

Here's a new "Rattlesnake Shake" Very powerful. I can't hear what Peter says after the third verse.
http://www.youtube.com/user/bogbrush.../0/PnZ_cwGyjq4
I now officially apologize for my knee-jerk reaction to videos with bad visual quality. They have brought back "Rattlesnake Shake", wow! I love how Peter plays the original live '69/'70 closing riff as his mini-solo before the actual ending. It's one of the greatest rock/blues riffs ever created.
Old 03-05-2010, 11:12 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzero View Post
unbelievable! i take back wishing to hear him play jumping at shadows. let the man play whatever he wants. who else would have come up with these choices? its way better this way

zero

ps is geraint back playing keys?
According to their MySpacepage it is Geraint Watkins. A great musician in his own right!

Ms Moose
Old 03-05-2010, 11:18 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipkid View Post
I now officially apologize for my knee-jerk reaction to videos with bad visual quality. They have brought back "Rattlesnake Shake", wow! I love how Peter plays the original live '69/'70 closing riff as his mini-solo before the actual ending. It's one of the greatest rock/blues riffs ever created.
Yes it is great hearing him play that famous rhytm-tempo-whatever shift that closes Rattlesnake Shake off. It still has so much energy, and all you see is him sitting there like a zen-struck Buddha....amazing. I think this is where Mick Fleetwood used to get a bit lost, according to his biography.

Ms Moose
Old 03-05-2010, 11:31 AM
Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonsonP View Post
Great new clips; on Help Me Through The Day, Peter's guitar starting about 4:00 is sublime, especially at 4:25 ..!!

Jonson
Also a sublime sweet short lick at 2.00 on Steal Your Heart Away
Old 03-05-2010, 12:33 PM
Senior Ledgie

Default a delightful performance :)

I am delighted by Peter's beautiful guitar playing and feeling.
His music makes me happy and heals my heart and soul.
So I want more such great clips
Old 03-05-2010, 12:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

You're welcome, doodyhead
Indeed Peter has a voice full of emotions.
I can't think of many others who can sing like he does on "You'll Be Sorry Someday" and "Cruel Contradictions" and so on...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Moose View Post
I can't hear what he is saying either, but it is great that he can allow himself to be spontaneous. Somehow Oh Well and Rattlesnake are not in his voice level (it's become deeper of course), but what the hell. He seems to take it humorously (around 00:30).
I agree that "Oh Well" and "Rattlesnake Shake" don't fit his present voice that well. I thought the same when Splinter Group did "Rattlesnake". But still great to hear. This one is a bit more loose than with the SG ... more similar to how it was done with F.Mac.

I remember when Peter was with the Splinter Group. He sometimes used to switch the line about Mick to fit their drummer, Larry Tolfree. He'd sing "I know this guy, his name is Larry..." and then something more that I don't remember, which rhymed with "Larry". It was cool! I have it on bootleg someplace.

Anyway, the other "new" songs with the Friends really suit his present voice and singing. Excellent stuff!
Old 03-08-2010, 12:56 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Yes it is great hearing him play that famous rhythm-tempo-whatever shift that closes Rattlesnake Shake off. It still has so much energy, and all you see is him sitting there like a zen-struck Buddha....amazing. I think this is where Mick Fleetwood used to get a bit lost, according to his biography.

Ms Moose
It was the tempo/time change that confused Mick Fleetwood. Yet you can tell by 2/70, the band was a well oiled machine that had this song down.

I've heard my fare share of "Lovelight's", "Dark Star's", "Mountain Jam's", and "Whipping Post's". This jam never bores me compared to the above. There's one "Dark Star" with a bossa nova jazz jam from Cleveland 10/31/71 that only comes close. It's a true shame that FM could've become the established British version of the "jam band". The only jam bands today I like come from the Allman Brothers influence (Gov't Mule, Widespread Panic, etc.). Phish has corrupted an entire generation with derivative nonsense. It's ashame that today there is no British jam band thread of influence to follow Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac. Had the original +1 band lasted another year or so, I think rock history would be slightly changed, for the better.
Old 03-09-2010, 01:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Black Magic Woman i Cardiff

Here is the latest one from The Globe in Cardiff. mzero, on this you can see Geraint play keys!

Black Magic Woman:

http://www.youtube.com/user/bogbrush.../0/wUU3s4vwq_k

I think these clips from The Globe In Cardiff on Feb. the 24th are great and truly wonderful. I agree with you all. But - somehow I don't like their arrangement of Black Magic Woman, and never have :
1) I don't like the Santana association (intro and outro) - because the original was superiour to that any day.
2) It doesn't suit PG's voice now.
3) It always comes of uninspired to my (cloth- some will say) -ears. The solo is jazzy - which is ok, but also a bit boring.

What do you think?

Ms Moose (looking for somewhere to hide...)
Old 03-09-2010, 01:47 PM
Senior Ledgie

Default PG & Friends' CDs - any details?

Facebook.com on the PG&Friends' site somebody wrote:
Thanks PG and friends - wonderful gig in Farnham last night - utter class. How do I get hold of a CD? They were so popular they had sold out when I went to buy one.
Does anybody know any details about this CD?
Regards
Krzysztof
Old 03-09-2010, 02:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
But - somehow I don't like their arrangement of Black Magic Woman, and never have :
1) I don't like the Santana association (intro and outro) - because the original was superiour to that any day.
3) It always comes of uninspired to my (cloth- some will say) -ears. The solo is jazzy - which is ok, but also a bit boring.

What do you think?

No need to take cover! Agreed that the FM original is superior, but Peter apparently likes Santana's version (even mentioning it in introductions during the SG days).
I think the Friends arrangement is tasteful (the funky blues groove intro!) , but sure, the new covers are more interesting than this old war horse.

Last edited by dino; 03-09-2010 at 03:10 PM..
Old 03-09-2010, 02:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Here is the latest one from The Globe in Cardiff. mzero, on this you can see Geraint play keys!

Black Magic Woman:

http://www.youtube.com/user/bogbrush.../0/wUU3s4vwq_k

I think these clips from The Globe In Cardiff on Feb. the 24th are great and truly wonderful. I agree with you all. But - somehow I don't like their arrangement of Black Magic Woman, and never have :

What do you think?

thanks mm! there he is, zero's other hero geraint. g. plays a nice solo

on 1 through 3, you are fearless!

zero
Old 03-09-2010, 04:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kowk View Post
Facebook.com on the PG&Friends' site somebody wrote:
Thanks PG and friends - wonderful gig in Farnham last night - utter class. How do I get hold of a CD? They were so popular they had sold out when I went to buy one.
Does anybody know any details about this CD?
Regards
Krzysztof
No, never heard of it Krzysztof. Maybe Our Friend Mario knows
It would be nice to have a CD.....
By the way: the next commentator on the facebookpage says that they played The Green Manalishi in Farnham!

I am going to London next weekend, but can't go to Bath - unfortunately (somehow I think I would have when I was young....I would have walked, jumped, hitch-hiked, flown!!!) Would love to see PG&F in Union Chapel, London the weekend after, though. Alas, it is not to be. Good luck to anybody who is.

Ms Moose
Old 03-09-2010, 05:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
No, never heard of it Krzysztof. Maybe Our Friend Mario knows
It would be nice to have a CD.....
By the way: the next commentator on the facebookpage says that they played The Green Manalishi in Farnham!

I am going to London next weekend, but can't go to Bath - unfortunately (somehow I think I would have when I was young....I would have walked, jumped, hitch-hiked, flown!!!) Would love to see PG&F in Union Chapel, London the weekend after, though. Alas, it is not to be. Good luck to anybody who is.

Ms Moose
No, I haven't heard about a cd available at gigs, but I know they are selling t-shirt ecc....

Even Green Manalishi in the set list is new to me, but tomorrow I will ring my friend R.Jim Greaves, as he went to see Greeny tonight at The Stables, Wavendon.......

Mario.