Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Present Band
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 10-30-2018, 05:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Thumbs down

"Don't Dream It's Over"??? "Free Fallin"??? I never thought I'd see non-mac songs in a setlist. I love those songs but having a lot of material, I don't think it was a good idea to include them (even if they've been written by the new guys). Definitely it is over to me. I'll remain a fan of the past.
Old 10-30-2018, 05:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villavic View Post
"Don't Dream It's Over"??? "Free Fallin"??? I never thought I'd see non-mac songs in a setlist. I love those songs but having a lot of material, I don't think it was a good idea to include them (even if they've been written by the new guys). Definitely it is over to me. I'll remain a fan of the past.
Pretty much anything Jeremy Spencer sang
The Supernatural
Get Like You Used To Be
I’d Rather Go Blind
Crazy ‘Bout You, Baby
Jumpin’ At Shadows
Roadrunner
For Your Love
Don’t Let Me Down Again
Frozen Love
Blue Letter
Farmer’s Daughter
Stand Back
Has Anyone Ever Written Anything For You
Tear It Up
We Just Disagree
Only You Know & I Know
Dear Mr. Fantasy
Feelin’ Alright
All Along The Watchtower
Imagine
The Bigger The Love
Go Insane (two different versions)

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 10-30-2018, 06:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kak125 View Post
Despite various marriages, divorces, breakups, and makeups, the members of Fleetwood Mac have continually performed alongside one another for nearly half a century. Aside from a repertoire of legendary tunes, the band is perhaps most famous for its longevity. That longevity was briefly interrupted on April 9, 2018 when a RollingStone.com headline made waves across various the internet. “Fleetwood Mac Fires Lindsey Buckingham,” declared an article on the music mag’s website. Commenters on Facebook joked about how Buckingham’s departure would have been big news in 1979, not in 2018.

While those snarky commenters weren’t completely wrong, Buckingham’s unexpected termination still managed to shock fans. The prolific band—who managed to stay together for countless decades—was, at long last, losing a crucial piece of its never-ending puzzle. Would the group continue to prosper without Buckingham’s signature howl and refined guitar work? Only time would tell.

Not long after Buckingham’s dismissal, the band announced yet another tour. “An Evening With Fleetwood Mac” began this month, making its 12th stop in Milwaukee Sunday night at the freshly minted Fiserv Forum. Buckingham was replaced with not one, but two seasoned performers who were each given the task of trying to fill the big shoes that Buckingham left behind. Neil Finn (of Crowded House) took over Buckingham’s vocal duties, while Mike Campbell (of Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers) wielded a lead guitar.

The brand-new lineup started off the set with “The Chain,” a haunting track off of Rumours, perfect for Hallo-weekend. Right off the bat, audiences were given a little taste of both Finn and Campbell’s newfound contributions to the group. Finn admittedly seemed a little uneasy during the early parts of the set, but who wouldn’t be? Buckingham managed to set an extremely high standard, both for himself and for Fleetwood Mac; it speaks volumes that two musicians were hired to replace him.

Of course, Buckingham is a very important member of Fleetwood Mac…but frankly, he’s not exactly who people come to see. The ethereal goddess (and rumored witch) Stevie Nicks has long been the group’s showstopper, and that is definitely one aspect of the band that has remained unchanged. Her haunting voice sounds almost identical to the band’s early recordings; strong, slightly raspy and powerful as ever. It’s unlikely Nicks has ever succumbed to the temptation of auto-tuning her music. She sure as hell doesn’t need to.

Fleetwood Mac’s other leading lady, Christine McVie, has consistently remained one of the band’s most understated members. She immediately claimed her throne during “Little Lies,” a track on which the British chanteuse sings lead. During “Everywhere,” McVie stepped away from her keyboard and commanded center stage as Nicks stepped to the side. McVie left Fleetwood Mac in 1998 and only recently returned in 2014. Last night, it was clear the rest of the group was thankful to have the opportunity to perform alongside McVie once again.

One of the show’s few low points was an extremely gratuitous drum solo from Mick Fleetwood after a raucous rendition of “World Turning.” Yes, Fleetwood deserves his moment in the sun, and he is an extremely talented drummer. Regardless, his solo went on for far too long and was very obviously a self-indulgent addition to the otherwise engaging set. He yelled random hype words into a microphone as he drummed vigorously, eventually moving from the back of the stage to the front with a bongo drum slung around his shoulders.

After finishing up his act, Fleetwood took a moment to introduce the group to the massive audience. Aside from the main members of Mac, the lineup consisted of two backup singers, one backup percussionist, one backup guitarist, and one backup keyboardist. A grand total of 11 musicians made the Fiserv Forum stage their home for the night, taking the group’s arena-rock sound to the next level. “We are excited to have them join this crazy band called Fleetwood Mac,” Fleetwood said with a laugh.

Naturally, the most enchanting performances of the evening were those with Nicks on lead vocals. “Gypsy” and “Rhiannon,” two of the group’s most beloved tracks, were each highlights of the two-hour set. Another highlight was Nicks’ and Finn’s teamwork on a stripped-down, acoustic version of “Don’t Dream It’s Over.” It’s seriously unlikely that anyone listening to Crowded House in the mid-’80s would have ever guessed Finn would one day be a Fleetwood Mac stand in, but hey, stranger things have happened.

After performing a generous 19-song set, Fleetwood Mac finally stepped away from the stage. The band began its encore with a heartfelt performance of Tom Petty’s signature “Free Fallin’.” The crowd went berserk immediately after hearing the iconic intro. The sweet tribute was accompanied by a slideshow of Petty, who apparently took hundreds of photos with Stevie Nicks over the course of his career. Considering Nicks’ and Petty’s impressive track record, it may have been even more impressive to hear “Stop Draggin’ My Heart Around” or another collaboration between the two artists. But when Nicks howled, “I wanna write his name in the sky,” there was not a dry eye in the, uh, forum.

“Don’t Stop,” another legendary ditty off Rumors, was very appropriately saved for the encore. “Yesterday’s gone…oh, don’t you look back,” the band harmonized with a twinge of bittersweetness. Buckingham’s name was not uttered once throughout the entire set, but perhaps it didn’t need to be. Considering most of Fleetwood Mac’s members are in their 70s, it’s hard to imagine a next “era” for the legendary group. But if their 2018 track record is indicative of anything, it’s unlikely they’ll be retiring any time soon.

And thank God for that.

http://milwaukeerecord.com/music/fle...rv-forum-show/

Agreed. It's gotten to be about as annoying as Stevie's rambling song stories. Too much wasted time in place of more music.
Old 10-30-2018, 06:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwd View Post
Agreed. It's gotten to be about as annoying as Stevie's rambling song stories. Too much wasted time in place of more music.
It goes on a little too long, by about two or three minutes. But I do really like Mick and Taku jamming out. I’d rather have “I Got You” back and a shorter drum break.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 10-30-2018, 06:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovethemac1 View Post
It was beause of the water bottle he kicked at her, he's now in her bad books..............
Now THAT makes sense. She is such a diva! "Maybe the other one that auditioned Mick? Hmmmmm, I think for the next tour we should......perhaps get a guitarist that doesn't like to hurl objects at me".
Old 10-30-2018, 09:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Point to me one song from the 80s and beyond that was better than what they’re doing now.

DDIO and FF are pop masterpieces. Legendary. Any band would be lucky to have those legitimately in their set.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 10-30-2018, 11:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
I read that without my glasses and I thought it said "odd noises," so for some reason I thought you meant flatulence or something in the arena. It just seemed very Milwaukee-like.
Well they do make beer there.
Old 10-30-2018, 11:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
Pretty much anything Jeremy Spencer sang
The Supernatural
Get Like You Used To Be
I’d Rather Go Blind
Crazy ‘Bout You, Baby
Jumpin’ At Shadows
Roadrunner
For Your Love
Don’t Let Me Down Again
Frozen Love
Blue Letter
Farmer’s Daughter
Stand Back
Has Anyone Ever Written Anything For You
Tear It Up
We Just Disagree
Only You Know & I Know
Dear Mr. Fantasy
Feelin’ Alright
All Along The Watchtower
Imagine
The Bigger The Love
Go Insane (two different versions)
While encyclopedic as always, I think most of those examples are not a fair comparison. I think that when Villavic mentioned disbelief that FM was now playing DDIO and Free Fallin, the issue is that those two songs are major and very widely-known iconic classics of their respective originators (and the scale of this tour is not exactly the same as the Time tour), hence the perceived peculiarity.

With any luck, soon they'll expand Mick's time at the front of the stage for another classic Time tune--who's up for seven minutes of These Strange Times?
Old 11-08-2018, 08:16 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Black Magic Womanclose up) Edit-IDK how this unsmiley face got included LOL
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VoYxt2kMjmY

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/VoYxt2kMjmY" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 12-07-2018, 08:54 AM
Addicted Ledgie

All Over Again: (Extreme close up view of Stevie & Christine. Chris dedicates the song to George Hawkins)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vf5ZUPYTrUI
Old 12-07-2018, 09:35 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

So it was Stevie's idea to do the song?! Interesting! Now it makes more sense why Christine is doing a "kiss off" song and a duet with Stevie.

Last edited by sodascouts; 12-07-2018 at 09:38 AM..